Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • PSA: new site, google and email addresses
  • richc
    Free Member

Just incase people haven’t realised, the new forum (which is very good IMHO) is being very efficiently indexed by google now.

However its also exposing peoples email addresses for spam/harvesting, and it only takes a little knowledge of regular expressions to unobfuscate peoples email in postings.

eg: cut and paste this (very simple search) into google and look at the pages of results:

site:http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/ mail +at +@

So with a little bit of perl, and a bit of time someone could quite easily grab your email address if you post it up

Something to think about.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That’s where people have put their e-mails in posts on a public forum, so I don’t see why this is surprising

matt_outandabout

agreed with fromagetoes

richc
    Free Member

no its not really, however the old forum wasn’t indexed very efficiently (or at all) by google so people could get away with it.

GrahamS

That doesn’t expose peoples details from their profiles (which I think you have to be logged in to see). It only pulls up threads where they have posted their email addresses.

Generally speaking it is a bad idea to post your email address anywhere publicly on the net.

Sensible folk say something like “Address in my profile”.

SST
    Free Member

Thanks for pointing that our Rich.

I’m sure that things like this sometimes don’t occur to people and even if you already know it, it diesn’t hurt to read it.

🙂

epicyclo

I think that’s where the ability to PM someone is useful.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

richc, can you explain hashes of hashes and why they’re making my head hurt? 😀

richc
    Free Member

hangover?

pretty simple aren’t they, they are just hashes of pointers.

yoshimi

Has something happened today with the site? Reason I ask is that iot all went funny and I had to learn how to do a hard refresh in firefox – get me, netgeek!

Since the hack I set up a forum use only email – I reckon lots of people had done this already before the hack but I feel more content now.

richc
    Free Member

yep looks like they they updated the template as the member login panel has definately moved.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘PSA: new site, google and email addresses’ is closed to new replies.