Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • PSA: MOT reminder service
  • jam-bo

handy new service from gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

Rubber_Buccaneer

Handy, thanks

retro83
    Free Member

nice one, ta

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks. I cannot understand why they have never done this before !

At least with electronic calendars on phone these days I can have my own reminder but I have forgotten mot renewal more than once over the years

northernmatt

Very handy, unless of course you get the reminder then forget to actually book the car in for the MOT and have to leave it in the garage for a few days as the garage is booked up.

But nobody is that stupid. 😉

martinhutch

I cannot understand why they have never done this before !

I’ve been getting reminders from gov.uk for the last two years!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I missed last years MOT by three months….

retro83
    Free Member

Rockhopper – Member
    I missed last years MOT by three months….

I know somebody who missed it for a whole year and didn’t notice until they booked it in the following year …

oldtalent
    Free Member

I cant believe people haven’t got google calendar. Really, how hard is it to set a recurring reminder?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I cant believe people haven’t got google calendar. Really, how hard is it to set a recurring reminder?

What’s so special about google calendar, I have a calendar on my phone, does the google one give you extra days or something?

midlifecrashes

Missed mine on the Mazda by seven months this year, not sure how we managed that, we did do a six month tax a while back so both cars weren’t hitting the same month, so the tax didn’t act as a reminder. I’ve just posted it forward on my phone calendar this time though, not used the reminder service.

bigyim
    Free Member

Cheers op

deadkenny
    Free Member

I get tonnes of reminders already from my current garage and any other garage I happen to have taken the car to even if not for MOT. They use the same database now.

GrahamS

What’s so special about google calendar, I have a calendar on my phone, does the google one give you extra days or something?

Most obvious thing is sharing.

We pretty much organise our life through multiple shared Google calendars. One for me, one for the missus, one for the kids and one for other stuff.

All accessible through the Calendar app on our phones, the iPad, or whatever PC we happen to be sat at, or even read out by Alexa.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Calendar sharing has been in Outlook for since forever (well, a long time), along with recurring reminders.

Besides, you just ask Siri/Alexa/Google/Cortana to set a reminder these days.

GrahamS

Calendar sharing has been in Outlook for since forever

Great – provided you are prepared to pay someone to host an Exchange server for you or don’t mind all your personal stuff appearing on work calendars.

Besides, you just ask Siri/Alexa/Google/Cortana to set a reminder these days.

And when I do that it puts it in my Google Calendar. 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Great – provided you are prepared to pay someone to host an Exchange server for you or don’t mind all your personal stuff appearing on work calendars.

Nope, home users just need an Outlook.com account (free) or Office 365 account.

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Share-your-calendar-in-Outlook-com-0fc1cb48-569d-4d1e-ac20-5a9b3f5e6ff2

Also works in the Outlook app on phones.

Can also publish as an ICS and share with Google and other users, but will be read-only that way.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I know somebody who missed it for a whole year and didn’t notice until they booked it in the following year …

ummmm, I didn’t actually notice I’d missed a year at all – the mechanic checked when it was due when I was booking the car in.

transporter13
    Free Member

Nice one.. Cheers

ebennett

Nice one, good to know it’s not just me that’s forgotten in the past!

rene59
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member

I get tonnes of reminders already from my current garage and any other garage I happen to have taken the car to even if not for MOT. They use the same database now. I even get this for cars I don’t have any more.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘PSA: MOT reminder service’ is closed to new replies.