Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • PSA – More Tesco whisky bargains
  • IHN

Auchentoshan American Oak – £20, down from £30
    Dalwhinnie Winter Gold – £24, down from £40ish
    Cardhu – £25, down from £42

Others too, they’re the ones I remember from my quick nosey round the Cirencester town centre branch. Going back after work with my wallet…

wors

Oooh, cheers for the heads up!

Beagleboy

Awesome! Just nipped out from my lab and bagged a bottle of Auchentoshan (the only one they had on offer there), from the Tesco Metro in Byres Rd. That’ll be getting whacked into the hip flask for tonight’s ride. Which means an instant performance enhancement for my good self, as usually when climbing the view I get is of everyone’s tail lights receding into the distance. However, flash the old hip flask about at the start of the ride and suddenly I’m able to climb at the same speed as everyone and they get knackered at the same time as me! It truly is a wonder!

🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i gave up drinking three years back, whisky was my thing, i swear in all the years i drank it its never been cheaper since i stopped. grouse was even 2 for £20 the other week in tesco just to rub it in.

scotroutes

Which is about all it’s good for.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

19.50 at Amazon 😀

Cougar

Which is about all it’s good for.

Well played sir, well played.

somafunk

Glenfiddoch 12yr old at £25 (from £35) and Singleton Spey Cascade at less than £21 (from £34) in my local Tesco clearance section (Kirkcudbright) .

Couldn’t decide so bought one of each as i didn’t have any any whisky in the house

downshep

There goes my liver….

Malt is just sooo moreish.

iainc

Pop round with some if you could downshep….

outofbreath
    Free Member

Bought a Jura Superstition for £25, Thanks OP.

sadexpunk

went for this last time there was a PSA cos id like to get into whisky but just dont like it 😀
    cant remember the name but it was really antisepticy and horrible. my problem may be i always seem to choose the peaty medicinal ones.

can you give me the names of some of the milder decent quality jobbies so i can look out for bargains without wasting any more money?

ta

tinybits
    Free Member

The Dalwinnie is what you’re after, otherwise the Jura Origin, both in the current offers (typed part way through my 3rd Dalwinnie from my Christmas bottle – it’ll be replaced in the morning!)

sadexpunk

thanks, ill have a shufty in the local tesco tomorrow.

somafunk

sadexpunk : avoid any islay whisky, stick to speyside and you’ll be fine or throw in the towel and just buy a Balvenie Doublewood. I’ve turned many a whisky hater into a devotee of the stuff by plying them with this single malt, a drop of water will open up the aroma/flavour

tod456
    Free Member

Check out the meet counter too, rib eye on the bone is 1/2 price so I’ve now got few cowboy chops in the freezer ready for the BBQ … When it warms up a bit.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was hoping Kraken rum was reduced too so I went for a look last night.

They’ve taken it off the shelves! Disaster!

Cougar

can you give me the names of some of the milder decent quality jobbies so i can look out for bargains without wasting any more money?

+1 for Jura. Also Highland Park perhaps.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

1 Auchentoshan and 1 Cardhu

not on discount, but try the Benromach 5 for a weekday whiskey

IHN

Auchentoshan American Oak – £20, down from £30
    Cardhu – £25, down from £42

drlex
    Free Member

Thank you, IHN. Cardhu purchased and will be supped later. I gave my Ardbeg from the last PSA to a good mate, so this one’s a keeper.

sadexpunk

yes, thanks for the info, ive made my list. been in 3 different tescos since and none of them there tho.

ill keep looking.

Merak

Auchentoshan and Dalwhinnie in the drinks cabinet, many thanks for the PSA drunken ruination awaits.

duckman

drlex – Member

I gave my Ardbeg from the last PSA to a good mate, so this one’s a keeper.

Your welcome! For anybody who isn’t pregnant or a small child and fancies a PROPER malt; Talisker is also reduced in Tescos. 8)

NB, it’s all malt and good; just kidding!

sadexpunk

and fancies a PROPER malt; Talisker is also reduced in Tescos.

think thats the one i bought last time, tastes like antiseptic. yuk 😀

twicewithchips
    Free Member

In the interests of public service (and of no gain to myself), I will safely dispose of all malts which their current owners find too peaty, antisepticy, strong, or otherwise not to their liking.

This one:

seems to be the bargain here.

tinybits
    Free Member

It’s actually often at £25, however it’s well worth it. I keep a bottle in the freezer for those evenings I fancy something different

johnners
    Free Member

The Winter’s Gold is good value at £24, at £40ish they’re taking the pee somewhat. It’s quite a mild malt and IMO doesn’t benefit from chilling, I can’t think of a whisky that would though tbh.

chakaping
    Free Member

I popped it in the freezer for a bit, but prefer it room temperature as well.

somafunk

Just finished the Singleton spey cascade that i bought a few days ago and wondered on what day i bought it so checked back on this thread, Hmmm…..I’d best set aside the Glenfiddoch for future use/consumption……I only had two decent glasses of the spey cascade at night but it seems to have evaporated.

Chilling/freezing whisky is something i cannot get my head around as aroma and flavour terpenoids are activated by heat whilst a glass is held in the hand so why chill/freeze it unless it is to hide the harsh pure alcohol taste? – from a personal viewpoint i find the idea that a whisky needs chilled to be rather off-putting, they are trying to flog an inferior malt whisky by window dressing a substandard product so that it has a USP on the shelf.

Xylene
    Free Member

depends if you are drinking it at 20degrees room temp or tropical heat 38degrees – a whisky stone doesn’t go amiss then

irc

Auchentoshan American Oak £18.49 on Amazon. May be a Deal of the Day price so 1 day only.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auchentoshan-American-Oak-Whisky-70/dp/B00IOBU6HE/ref=sr_1_1?s=alcohol&ie=UTF8&qid=1491991450&sr=1-1

a Laphroig at £22.55 looks good vaue as wel

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ocado are doing the same Dalwhinnie deal, and at least you dont have to leave your house.

chakaping
    Free Member

Popped into Tesco last night, got a Bowmore 12yo and Glenmorangie 10yo for £26 each.

😀

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Dalwhinnie Winter’s Gold and Cardhu Gold reserve cheap in Tesco today – £25 each.

sandwicheater

Cheers, need to stock up the reserves.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

have a look at the label – the word you’re looking for is “Speyside” – anything really, it’ll all be well clear of peaty medicinal taste of the Ilay malts. So is that Auchentoshan but, for me, the Dalwhinnie just edges it. And Highland Park when that occasionally hits the cheap shelf.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Highland park is milder, but still wouldn’t recommend for someone looking to avoid peaty/smokey flavours.

Winters Gold is definitely a good call, very mild, and a bit different, mine lives in the freezer, take a sip and then as it warms in the mouth the flavours come out.
    Already have a spare bottle though, so probably won’t pick up another this time around.

13thfloormonk

[opens doors to a flaming]

Sadex, I always liked the taste and smell of single malts, but just found the burning and heartburn too much when drinking them neat.

Now I unashamedly add 1 part water to 2 parts whisky, and it’s delicious, could drink it all night.

I read a very lengthy article suggesting that this was the only legitimate reason to add water, to reduce the pain on your palate.

Enjoy!

Edit: I especially enjoy the peaty ones now, Smokehead f.t.w!

bigjim

there’s no shame in adding water at all, that’s what the jug/tap on the bar is for. It’s supposed to open up more flavour anyway, I certainly prefer it with about the same ratio of water you have.

Not sure I’ve tried dalwhinnie, probably should given how often I go past the distillery.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘PSA – More Tesco whisky bargains’ is closed to new replies.