Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • PSA – Monty Python Live on TV Gold channel
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Monty Python live from O2 London. On TV now.

Could be good or rubbish just flicked over myself

mikey74
    Free Member

the 30s I saw looked rubbish. I wish they had left it alone.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Was lucky enough to go the the O2 for the 2nd performance

I can confirm it’s not been changed for TV (still too much ‘other’ stuff rather than just the Pythons)

The 2nd half definitely picks up

Harry_the_Spider

Hmmm…. at the end of the first half in our house. That good that I’m messing about with my phone.

Harry_the_Spider

They’re doing punditry now and Steve Coogan is doing a daft voice.

I’m off.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That was unbelievably bad. Glad I didn’t pay to see it

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Glad I didn’t pay to see it

Glad I didn’t either – was a freebie! 😀 8)

deets

Went to watch it at a cinema (before we knew it was going to be free on Gold…)

Eric Idle was the real winner of the evening, or at least he will be when he gets his next royalty cheque. Python was never that song based and I found myself squirming through the musical segments to get to the sketches that were actually really good – both vintage footage and live. Looking at the credits though, he directed and devised the whole affair, and given his broadway leanings of recent times then I should have expected it had I realised.

It was a shame in a way though, as Python was never that musically dependant and it seems to have been skewed in a way that isn’t in keeping with the original premise. It doesn’t help that I hate musicals, but that’s what it became. Obviously there are standout tracks synonymous with Python, but neither the films or TV episodes were that heavily inclined. John Cleese for one looked at times less than comfortable with it. He was a joy to see doing sketches with Michael Palin though – ad libs/dementia included!

Ok, but I think I’ll just get hold of the TV series’ though…

edlong
    Free Member

To be fair, the original premise was a tv sketch show, much of it shot on small studio sets. Reasonable to expect a live show at an ENORMOUS venue will tend more towards the theatrical / showier parts of their repertoire?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Monty Python Live on TV Gold channel’ is closed to new replies.