Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • PSA: Minimalist wallet
  • Cougar

This just popped up in conversation on a FB group I’m a member of. I have no affiliations with the creator and it’s of no use to me because I carry around way too much crap, but it looks like a Nice Thing and I thought it might be the sort of artisan moustache-knitting thing that might appeal to the STW denizens.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/thomas-nox-unique-rfid-blocking-luxury-wallet#/

sirromj

I was going to say something incredibly witty like ‘you mean a pocket’ and then I remembered I haven’t been able to use contactless for 3 months because I keep my card in my pocket, that I’ve sellotaped it and superglued it twice, and that this is the second bank card I’ve done it to (and I only have one card).

CountZero

So you’ve fallen for the myths surrounding RFID on bank cards that says hackers can scan them from 30 feet away as you walk past, or some such bollocks, then.
    I’ve yet to see any actual proof it can and has happened.
    Unlike hacked ATM machines and card readers in garages and restaurants where you put the card in a slot, and copies are made from a physically read original.
    If you want a good minimalist wallet that you could almost beat someone unconscious with, if it’s attached to a good lanyard, get the Pelican wallet, they make gun cases, which have to be tough, then, if you’re still morbidly paranoid, stick some aluminium foil inside.
    https://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/product/peli-0955-sport-wallet/
    Built like a brick shithouse, just don’t sit on it, it’ll prove rather uncomfortable after a while.
    But your cards won’t get broken.

Cougar

So you’ve fallen for the myths

No, you’ve just made that up in order to have an argument. I said it looked like a nice thing is all.

As for the creator of the product, presumably it’s marketing / response to demand isn’t it. If it’s something people want, even misguidedly so, it’d be poor business sense not to provide it.

If you want a good minimalist wallet that you could almost beat someone unconscious with

Something that looks like a ruggedised mobile phone case, to hold a credit card and a tenner? It’s a bit EDC but each to their own I suppose.

Trekster

If it wasn’t “made in London” how much would it cost?????

sirromj

f you want a good minimalist wallet that you could almost beat someone unconscious with

Then it wouldn’t be minimalist. Plus this one looks much nicer.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I made my own from an SD card holder.

Prized out the innards with pliers and replaced them with some self-adhesive card holders.

How they laughed!

Don’t know how to link a previous topic but you might find the details by searching…

Securewallettrackworld

Gunz
    Free Member

Did he really use a micrometer making a wallet?

petec
    Free Member

gosh. i got something similar in leather (not leatherette) lastyear at a gypsy market in south west portugal. It was €3. Not £93.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a similar thread on here not so long back about some trousers ?

rockhopper70

#totwalco

Is that even a wallet, it’s surely just a card sheath?

GrahamS

So you’ve fallen for the myths surrounding RFID on bank cards that says hackers can scan them from 30 feet away as you walk past, or some such bollocks, then.
    I’ve yet to see any actual proof it can and has happened.

Scanning an RFID isn’t particularly difficult and can be done from a distance (probably not 30 foot though, you’d get too much crosstalk from other cards in the radius).

The tricky part isn’t physically reading them – the tricky part is getting a merchant account with a bank that lets you put the payment through.

slowoldman

Quite. Where do I put my coins?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

But is it made in Hebden Bridge tho?

deadkenny
    Free Member

For rides I like to cut down to something pocket friendly containing a card, some ID / contact info, and paper money. I use a plastic wallet you get for train tickets. They get bashed up, then I tape them up until they die and I get another.

I do need something a bit more robust but very compact and minimalist. I just don’t need artisan design and prices or need to feel smug I’m not killing animals 😀

The cork material though… hmm, I’ve got some cork lying about, and some tape 😆

GrahamS – Member 
    Scanning an RFID isn’t particularly difficult and can be done from a distance (probably not 30 foot though, you’d get too much crosstalk from other cards in the radius).

More around 5-10cm. Also you can’t clone a credit card doing it. You can authorise a contactless payment, but needs the right equipment and software.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

tbh I would rather have one which blocks RFID from all but the card I place on the outside to avoid card clash but without making me take my card out.

AlexSimon

petec – Member

gosh. i got something similar in leather (not leatherette) lastyear at a gypsy market in south west portugal. It was €3. Not £93. £93 is now much they’ve raised. The wallet cost is £39.
    But yes. £9 all over ebay/amazon/etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve ever paid more than £5 on a wallet.

flannol
    Free Member

I have always used this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H9DV9NI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s a few quid. This is it with six train tickets, two debit cards, one driving license, and three £10 notes in it

I think I ordered two (I always order two of everything I think I will want again in the future) and they sent me three!

benp1

Lots of wallets in this style, didn’t get on massively well with the one I had, OK but not great

Still happy with my Trove (or in my case the Hackett x version). Even more minimalist, I only carry 3 cards in it. The only downside is it’s so small I sometimes forget it’s in the my pocket and leave it in the shorts/trousers I’m wearing

TheBrick
    Free Member

They don’t work on rdfi fro my understanding. Interestingly it’s via magnetic coupling rather than electric field as used in rdfi. The card is the secondary of an air gap transformer which provides power to the card. Data is then transferred over the transformer via a higher frequency transmission than the power.

I expect there is some encryption in there but due to the high magnetic reluctance of air I think you must need the card to be pretty close to work.

Someone with more knowledge should be able to tidy up and correct details of what I have said but I believe the jist is correct.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Same as flannol.. I just buy these, never worn one out, (lost one instead)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004S7P5RE/ £3.89, fairly small, not minimalist though.. wouldn’t pay much more for a wallet..

miketually
    Free Member

Quite. Where do I put my coins?[/quote]

In your purse.

GrahamS

Also you can’t clone a credit card doing it.

You can’t clone a credit card – but you can read the credit card number, expiry date and name off a card.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGWFryVh_oE[/video]

You can authorise a contactless payment, but needs the right equipment and software.

Yep which isn’t exactly insurmountable – the primary defence for contactless is good auditing by the banks ensuring that rogue merchants are caught.

GrahamS

In your purse.

With your tampons.

bearnecessities

Cheers flannol, just what I’ve been after.

Milkie
    Free Member

You used to be able to read the RFID cards from 3ft away. NFC cards didn’t have any encryption on them, they were powered by the reader and used a rolling code system which should make them secure. It wouldn’t surprise me if the system has been beat, as this was back in 2013.

£93 for a wallet!? Damn they saw you guys coming!

EDIT: £39 for the wallet, not too bad 😉

GrahamS

You used to be able to read the RFID cards from 3ft away.

Pffffttt.. depends on the card/protocol but last time I looked the DefCon record was a successful RFID read from 69 feet away!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQ24dw3vaQ[/video]

deadkenny
    Free Member

They’re passive powered chips so need a fair bit of power I’d have thought from a reader at that distance. Might get noticeably warm if you’re a bit closer to it 😉

Drac

gosh. i got something similar in leather (not leatherette) lastyear at a gypsy market in south west portugal. It was €3. Not £93.

They’re not £93 not €3 either bit I also don’t need to fly to Portugal.

slowoldman

In your purse.

I’m not a girl

With your tampons.

See above.

benp1

I don’t carry coins, I have a coin wallet but any change from notes that get broken gets dumped at home. I hate changes – jingly and annoying. Contactless as a minimum, apple pay for the win, but I live in London so most places has a contactless card payment system. If they didn’t, I guess I’d have to carry change

I took my coin wallet out on the weekend to the kids’ school fete, first time I’d used it in ages! It’s a proper hipster job as well, initials stamped in it and everything!

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I’d always assumed that the protection was so you could leave one card on the outside and that’d be the one that you paid with (rather than at random if they are all in together)?
    As for rfid fraud, isn’t that the card providers’ problem rather than mine?

miketually
    Free Member

I’m not a girl

Then you don’t need a coin space in your wallet.

kimbers

[video]https://youtu.be/xh9KKFJyGZE[/video]

GrahamS

As for rfid fraud, isn’t that the card providers’ problem rather than mine?

If it happens then it is your problem to prove it is fraud, then it is the card providers problem.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Minimalist wallet’ is closed to new replies.