Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • PSA Merlin selling Avid Juicy 7 F&R Brakeset for £99
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

That is a great price for a set of brakes and rotors…..
    Are they any good though?
    R

monkeychild
    Free Member

They’d have to pay me!!!!! Juicys are the spawn of the devil!!!

br
    Free Member

Good price though, I got that much for my pair (great when they worked, PITA for maintenance) when I sold them on ebay.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FOG

Definitely monkeychild!! Out of the 3-4 of my riding group who have had them they have all swopped them for something reliable except one who went for Elixirs so we still have somebody who has to fiddle with his brakes every ride!

BigSteve
    Free Member

I’ve run them on my 07 Stumpy since 07 as it happens and this year is the first time that I’ve had an issue as the front lever has become a bit wooded – still works but the feel has gone. Not bad for 6 years use and abuse.

pjm84
    Free Member

Threw mine in the bin last year. Horrible.

Mintman
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for 3 years and last weekend was the first time I’ve needed to pay them any attention other than twiddling the little red knob. I quite like them.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Juicys are ace.

For the first few rides at any rate…they’re most definitely not fit and forget in my experience with two sets, as dust quickly builds up around the pistons and ensures that they don’t retract properly.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Forget it. Go for Deore 596. Even cheaper.

stu1972
    Free Member

Too much pain and misery.

Have been unfortunate to own 3’s ,3.5’s and 5’s so don’t expect 7’s to be any better.

Squeal like a bitch, difficult to bleed, expensive to bleed ( initial purchase of kit ) and unreliable.

We have just fitted the entry level deore ones onto my sons hardtail and for the price, which was about £65 from Germany, are in a different league to the Avid brakes I have owned.

iffoverload
    Free Member

my experience: never had trouble,great power/modulation,no squeal and levers that do not feel like they are made out of timfoil survived numerous knocks – but not the lightest.!
    you can pick up bleed kits cheap and i just change the fluid once a year even though they never have needed bleeding.

higthepig
    Free Member

tricky dicky

Thank you for that, just ordered a pair. Been using Juicy 5s for nearly 6 years with no problems, seems they are like Marmite, some love them, some hate them.

christhetall
    Free Member

I’ll never forgive Juicys for the hassle I had changing pads on my first attempt at the Kielder 100. Half an hour in the pouring rain with freezing fingers trying to get them in. Eventually had to remove the caliper.

Been much happier with Elixirs and the blled kit makes that job very easy

docrobster
    Free Member

Just replaced my juicy 7s after 6yrs. Pistons stuck.
    Deore 596 at £42 an end a much better deal.

br
    Free Member

I’ll never forgive Juicys for the hassle I had changing pads on my first attempt at the Kielder 100. Half an hour in the pouring rain with freezing fingers trying to get them in. Eventually had to remove the caliper.

This is the main reason I’d avoid them, no tools pad-removal – yer, right…

chilled76
    Free Member

I ordered a set this morning when the mail shot came through about them.
    I had a set of Juicy Carbons years ago (same brakes but with carbon lever blades and titanium bolts iirc) and they were the best brakes I have ever had.

I reckon I can sell my Formula’s I’m replacing for near on a ton too.

Absolute bargain at £99 for a set!

fivespot
    Free Member

There is a reason they are so cheap 🙄

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 sets of Juicy 3’s and they were all a proper PITA , The cheap Deore CRC brakes at £15 and end have been much better and a quarter of the price.
    All my sets of juicys ended up with a stuck piston and needed constant bleeding.

breadcrumb

I’ve had my Juicy 3s for over 4 years and had zero problems. Guess I’ve been lucky.

stumpy01

I wouldn’t, just for the pain in changing pads.

They are great when they work, but mine spent a long time in that sticking piston mode that used to drive me mad..

robarnold
    Free Member

It would be a good deal if it was 2008. Things have moved on a great deal since then.

Google the new Deore brakes if you’re looking for a bargain…as well as something that works

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘PSA Merlin selling Avid Juicy 7 F&R Brakeset for £99’ is closed to new replies.