• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cp.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PSA: Merlin doing 9 speed SLX Double with BB for £47.
  • wwaswas

Probably cheaper than a replacement BB and new rings on an existing crankset!

22/36 btw

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx-m665-9-speed-double-bash-chainset-45625.html

mikey3
    Free Member

Could you take off the bash guard and make it into a triple if you wanted?

wwaswas

[edit] apparently it can 🙂

cp

Yes

cp

It’s just an slx triple crank with two rings and a bash in the outer position. Bargain.

freeagent
    Free Member

I have this chainset on my MTB – it is pretty bombproof.

bigjim

It’s just an slx triple crank with two rings and a bash in the outer position. Bargain.

Not quite, the double one has steel inserts for the pedals, which is more gooder.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I also have these cranks, the oldest component on my bike as I just can’t break the damn things!

cokie

I paid that for a second hand pair with no rings a year ago. Definitely a bargain! A BB alone is around £12, so that makes the crankset £35.

perthmtb
    Free Member

It’s just an slx triple crank with two rings and a bash in the outer position

As Bigjim said the cranks have steel pedal thread inserts. Another difference is the spider where the bash/outer ring mounts is modified on the M665 compared to the M660. They made it this way so there was room for thicker plastic between the mounting bolt and the spider ‘shoulder’ so the bash ring was less likely to crack there under a big hit. A standard outer ring will fit but there will be a couple of mm gap between it and the spider arms. Not a strength issue as its the chainring bolts that hold it in position, but looks a bit naff as if the chainring is too large for the spider.

northshoreniall

Thanks! More money I didn’t intend spending gone.

bigjim

Also I seem to remember there is a slight difference in chainline, the 2x being slightly less good for a 1x set up

perthmtb
    Free Member

Also I seem to remember there is a slight difference in chainline, the 2x being slightly less good for a 1x set up

No, the M665 was Shimano’s first foray into doubles, and predates the different chainline for doubles. It has exactly the same chainline as the M660 triple version.

Great chainset – I used them with 2×9 and 2×10 no problem. With 22/36 it has slightly lower gearing than the 24/38 now standard, which is perfect for unfit old geezers like me!

northshoreniall

Bloody hell, received order confirmation email 3:14, just had dispatch email 3:51. Thats some speed of service.

faustus

Just bought one too, to go with my m660 I bought in 2009 which is still superb. Don’t care about the rings as i’ll be using it 1x…but may keep the bash. Quite chuffed!

cp

Thats some speed of service

Pretty typical for Merlin

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Merlin doing 9 speed SLX Double with BB for £47.’ is closed to new replies.