• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PSA – Lumicycle LED3 XML 2700 Lumens (!) + £90 discount
  • 40mpg

Just had an email from those nice people at Lumicycle who have provided me with some excellent service and top quality lights over the years (OK 2 sets in 10 years cos they last so long!)

Their new LED3 XML is out now, Just go to the LED3 XMLpage, select a lamp or system and enter the promo code LED3XMLROCKS in the checkout to claim the £90 pre-order discount.

Clicky linky

neninja
    Free Member

Good price but some of their numbers simply don’t add up.

I simply can’t see how they could get 2.5 hours runtime from a 2600mAh battery pack at their claimed 1700 lumens.

I can only get 2.5 hours at a genuine 1200 lumens with a 5800mAh battery pack (using the best Panasonic cells). How are they managing to get 1700 lumens for the same length of time from a battery pack less than half the size? Perhaps Trout or one of the LED number crunchers can enlighten me.

wwaswas

they run the batteries in parallel I suspect – same as Exposure do.

lightman
    Free Member

Yeah, as above.
    The battery’s are 2600mAh and they seem to be in packs of four.
    You don’t need massive voltages to run XM-L’s, my single cell (18650) is just as bright as my 2 cell light, just with a shorter runtime.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

Has that code expired now? It says no longer available?

trout
    Free Member

to get 1700 lumens from 3 xmls need a drive current of around 1500 ma
    to check would mean putting a meter in line to see what amps the battery was giving .

it looks like the same setup as my Dominator so 2.5 hours is doable but I doubt it is a true 1700 lupins .

is it a 14.8 volt pack

sweaman2
    Free Member

I suspect they were hoping to reward loyal customers and not have the promo code splashed over the internet….

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks trout

I’d missed that they were 14.8v but was struggling with it making 1700 lumens with that run time.

It looks very like the Fluxient which claims 3000 lumens from the same set up but tested at 1600 lumens in the MTBR test.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

I did have a code as I’ve bought from them before but deleted the email.I,ll ring them tomorrow.

Grim
    Free Member

Unfortunately it has expired, it was for pre-orders only.

Grim

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

Oh shit!

pdw
    Free Member

It looks very like the Fluxient which claims 3000 lumens from the same set up but tested at 1600 lumens in the MTBR test.

I saw that. Unlike the Lumicycle figures, the Fluxient numbers don’t add up on paper…

3 XML U2s running at 3A give 2,925 lumens according to the data sheet, so that’s almost 3,000. Forward voltage of 3.35 gives 30.15W. Assume the driver is 90% efficient so 33.5W. Battery is 8.8Ah @ 7.4V = 65.1Wh. Theoretical run time of 1.9 hours yet they claim 2.7h.

Compare with Lumicycle’s claim, assuming “high” mode is 1.5A, and you get 1,770 lumens and 2.48 hour runtime from the 2.6Ah (38.5Wh) battery (vs 1,700 lumens and 2.5h claimed), so Lumicycle’s claims are consistent with the datasheet.

There’s always going to be a difference between actual and datasheet, but I’d have rather more confidence in the Lumicycle getting close to its numbers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Lumicycle LED3 XML 2700 Lumens (!) + £90 discount’ is closed to new replies.