Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • PSA – kind of – CR2032 batteries at Ikea
  • MoreCashThanDash

I go through them at a steady rate in helmet lights – Ikea have them for eight for £4.75 – better than getting two in a pack of 20 assorted size batteries in the pound shop

Don’t ask why I know this but it may be related to the fact that the bike build is still not complete…. 🙄

Cougar

For the geeks amongst us, they’re also CMOS batteries.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Not a bad price but you can do a lot better on eBay.

MoreCashThanDash

But I can’t get an ice cream off eBay for being well behaved in the shop.

sbob
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member

better than getting two in a pack of 20 assorted size batteries in the pound shop

8 for a quid in my local pound shop.

iain1775
    Free Member

Perhaps if OP”s maths was stronger he’d be ‘evenmorecashthandash’
    8 for £4.75 is 59p each
    2 in a pack of 20 for £1 is 50p each
    9p cheaper each and you also have 18 other batteries that might fit something (not sure on the ice cream though)

Cougar

Not a bad price but you can do a lot better on eBay.

I wouldn’t buy batteries off eBay if my life depended on it.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Perhaps if OP”s maths was stronger he’d be ‘evenmorecashthandash’
    8 for £4.75 is 59p each
    2 in a pack of 20 for £1 is 50p each
    9p cheaper each and you also have 18 other batteries that might fit something (not sure on the ice cream though)

😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cougar, why ever not? I’ve got a drawer full of Duracells I got of eBay for cheap and they’re perfect.

Cougar

Too many counterfeits, for a start. And no-name brands could be anything.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well I’ve got a drawer full of various button batteries bought off ebay for our range of watches and gadgets and have never had a problem. I know the cheap rechargeables are usually a bit crap but it’s hard to see how you can go wrong with the buttons. And they’ve all lasted fine so far.

aracer
    Free Member

I buy all my coin cells on ebay. I have no reason to think they’re not genuine – they’ve all looked fine and worked fine, I’m not sure there’s the margin in those for fakes given the genuine ones are actually so cheap provided you’re not paying for the overheads of usual channels. I wouldn’t buy rechargeables on ebay, but in this case I reckon Cougar is being excessively cautious.

checking my purchase history I’ve bought 10 packs of Maxell for £1.50

Drac

Yup all my coin batteries come from eBay too and never had any issues.

Ikea is an 80 mile round trip from here so not feasible for me to go. I’ve ice-cream in the Freezer if I’ve been good I can have it for pudding.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

One of the big battery sellers on ebay got popped by the EA – babz media (they also had a separate battery account)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/business-falls-foul-of-all-3-producer-responsibility-regimes

Infact the whole business has ceased trading pending RM post fraud

Drac

Ikea is one the companies who avoids tax. So what is exactly your point Dirtyrider?

unovolo
    Free Member

Just bought a pack of 12 GP branded batteries for £2 off evilbay, seem legit to me same branding and style of packing as Maplins.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

No point just sort of ebay/battery related news and/or if anyone was wondering where babz had gone

GrahamS

We go through a LOT of CR2032 at work (as they go in various devices that we develop code for).

Cheap ones are utter crap. Not only do they die quickly and unpredictably, but many don’t provide anything close to the correct voltage even when they are brand new.

Probably not really an issue for helmet lights etc, but my advice is don’t go sticking cheap ones in any electronics you need to work reliably.

aracer
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by cheap, Graham. The ones I’ve bought on ebay which are branded, but don’t cost very much certainly have good voltage when new (I tend to check) and last fine (I use a lot – they go in lights, HRM sensors and various other things). Unbranded ones through higher overhead supply chains may be less reliable.

GrahamS

Yeah by “cheap” I mean the big blister packs of 24 or 48 unbranded (or never-heard-of-them branded) batteries for a couple of quid.

We see a lot of weirdness from them that we don’t get from genuine (still cheap-ish) Panasonic etc.

As I said, probably not a worry for lights, but if you are sticking in something more critical then spend the extra quid!

Drac

It’s Panasonic I usually I buy.

allfankledup

My cr2032 tend to go in my lezyne lights, which are intended as a secondary or even tertiary light, so absolute reliability isn’t 100% needed, near as damnit will do.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘PSA – kind of – CR2032 batteries at Ikea’ is closed to new replies.