Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • PSA – ITV4 10pm Sports Life Stories – Gareth Thomas
  • Kryton57

Once in a series, last week being about Barry McGuigan which I found pretty good.

Kryton57

Well I thought it was rather good. A good chap is Gareth.

anagallis_arvensis

Sauces tell me your sauces!!! Wonder if the truth re Ruddock will ever come out?
    Alfie does seem like a good honest bloke though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Unless you’re his wife, that is.

chewkw
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Unless you’re his wife, that is.

Ohh … I seeee … he is seeking a husband? Or like playing husband and husband?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No. He was “happily” married for some years, all the while lying to his wife.

I have no problem whatsoever with him being gay, it was, after all the worst kept secret in rugby, but I just wish he had had the guts to at least tell his wife, if no one else. Not fair on her, IMO.

Kryton57

I have no problem whatsoever with him being gay, it was, after all the worst kept secret in rugby, but I just wish he had had the guts to at least tell his wife, if no one else. Not fair on her, IMO.

So did he. Its quite obvious that he didn’t know the impact it would have and was scared of the consequences – scared enough to at least consider / attempt suicide. Let’s remember his coming out was never done before in professional sport. Scary territory.

He quotes living a lie as his biggest failure / regret.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Other sportsmen had come out before him, I believe. I know it’s scary, and I don’t mean to detract from his approach (Although I know it must seem like I am doing so!) but I feel that he’s rather milking this now, and not really talking about what it was all about at the time.
    Basically, I just wish he could have/would have told the world earlier. I mean, we all knew, and no one gave a tinker’s cuss either way. I just wish he could have said do earlier.

chewkw
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

… but I just wish he had had the guts to at least tell his wife, if no one else. Not fair on her, IMO.

I see … poor lady could have wasted her good child bearing years on him. What a maggot.

😯

davidjones15
    Free Member

I mean, we all knew,

Did we? And who is the we?
    His ex appears to be a little more informed and understanding of the whole situation than your good self on this one Flashheart.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I didn’t get the whole ‘first pro sportsman to come out’ thing myself. Wasn’t Justin Fashnu a pro footballer when he came out? After receiving the loving public disowning of his brother, he was rather more successful in his attempt at suicide.

I did enjoy the program though, and thought that Alfie seemed like a very decent bloke.

anagallis_arvensis

So Captain do you like cock too or are you talking crap about knowing how scary it is?

anagallis_arvensis

Did Fashanu come out or was he outed?

mefty
    Free Member

Nigel Owens came out before Thomas, appreciate not a sportsman as such but arguably more open to barracking.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘PSA – ITV4 10pm Sports Life Stories – Gareth Thomas’ is closed to new replies.