Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • PSA – it's apparently illegal to ride on the road with a trailer and your son…
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

… riding alongside you. Well that’s according to the two different people who shouted this at me in edinburgh today. They seemed very angry that something other than a motorised vehicle dared to share the road with them.

Harry_the_Spider

[img]http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50279619/Shoe_Soles.jpg[/img]

derp
    Free Member

Whoop. De. ****ing. Doo.

D0NK

and on this site are you expecting to be backed up or reviled?

crikey
    Free Member

It’s more along the lines of if someone thinking someone is a **** and telling them they’re a **** in no uncertain terms without regard for the consequences, perhaps? 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Crikey – they got a firm critical response right enough.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nothing new there then – Joe Public still stupid and/or misinformed 😉

5lab

couldn’t your son have ridden in front of you, to ease the passage of other road users?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Road was plenty wide enough to let them pass easily. We were within the boundaries of the cycle lane.

julianwilson
    Free Member

George, you forgot to remind us how young your son is.

thomthumb
    Free Member

is this one of those ‘i punched a guy in the zoo, not really, it was an exercise for my degree’ type things?

ilovemygears
    Free Member

must say i saw a man and child in trailer going past sansburys in Manchester heading toward eccels, in the dark with a crappy light on, shouted at him to get on the cycle path..one of the most insane things id ever seen

julianwilson
    Free Member

tomthumb, i was hoping that the idea was:
    1) we all say what silly folk the 2 drivers were.
    2) George tells us how wee the wee boy is.
    3) George gets fully legit proud dad points for this detail.
    4) then we all say “but but but!” because we all think that age is too young to be riding off the pavement, even if it is on a cyclepath with dad+trailer between him and the traffic.
    5) big arguments ensues. (c.f. the ‘getting air on trailer on trailcentre with tiny baby thread’)

Oh, I hope I haven’t spoilt it now.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

JW –

Boy is 4, pavement was busy and is narrow so sadly not an option today. Usual scenario is that I ride with the trailer on the road and he rides on the pavement, but the pavement was full of ignorant people who werent looking where they were going and kept walking into him.

julianwilson
    Free Member

see if you’d said all that ^^ in the first post, this would be a bit of a non-thread, since that all sounds quite reasonable. I don’t think anyone would bat an eyelid if this was Holland not Scotland. I’d love to hear of him dealing with inattentive pedestrians by parping one of those air zound horns and scaring the bejeesus out of some old dear.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

He has a bell, but i am going to get him an air zound.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Ace. Please post up a “4YO scares park users witless with air zound” video in due course; that will be well funny 😀 .

oliverd1981
    Free Member

It should be illegal for a 4 year old to use the pavement unless they have an air zound

Todchester
    Free Member

ha thats nothing my old man got my 2 brothers 6 and 8 at the time to folow the tractor round a rounderbout (that linked with a jule carige way). his safty warning was keep up wiht the tracktor and ppl will get out of your way 😀 ahh the world before safty:-)

Potdog
    Free Member

^^^^^^Could someone please translate ^^^^^^^^
    😆

Gary_C

Todchester – Member
    ha thats nothing my old man got my 2 brothers 6 and 8 at the time to folow the tractor round a rounderbout (that linked with a jule carige way). his safty warning was keep up wiht the tracktor and ppl will get out of your way ahh the world before safty:-)

Posted 1 minute ago #

And in English please??

😉

mintimperial

my old man got my 2 brothers 6 and 8 at the time to folow the tractor round a rounderbout

That’s an awesome idea. I’d like a pace tractor, maybe with big old bale spikes on it or something like that. Motorists wouldn’t mess if you were backed up by one of those.

charliedontsurf

Rob Jefferies Our friend and occasional mechanic was killed a couple of weeks ago. A memorial ride was organised and this what his brother inlaw experienced on the ride

“While on this memorial cycle, my son, sister-in-law and cousin were verbally abused by a driver, who deliberately slowed down, wound down his window and told them to cycle on the pavement.”

Also locally The police are also questioning surly big dummy users who carry children.
    And one of our dummy customers had some fat **** in 4wd wind his window down and complain the cargo bike was too wide. FFS the driver was wider/fatter than the big dummy.

And in London they give out tickets for carrying kids. http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/dear-police-officers-this-bike-is-street-legal

To sumarise – Most people just want cyclists to f*** off.

KennySenior
    Free Member

And in London they give out tickets for carrying kids. http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/dear-police-officers-this-bike-is-street-legal

She said she didn’t get a ticket.

D0NK

She said she didn’t get a ticket.

true, sounds like they made a concerted effort to intimidate her tho. “what can we do her for?” “erm nowt” “ok call a few more officers in to scare her and tell her we’ll do her if she rides away from us”

And told by the police to ride on the pavement… FFS!

KennySenior
    Free Member

Yes, it’s funny that the first one needed back up so they could all talk bollocks at her!

I asked one of our local policemen about riding on the pavement, and he pretty much said ‘as long as you stop for pedestrians and don’t ride like a nob then I’ll not bother you’.

charliedontsurf

Sorry I did not recall that London story correctly. But all the same FFS stuff we have to deal with.

I am off to Rob’s funeral right now. Great being a cyclist (in the uk) eh!

uplink
    Free Member

I think those cops in London did the usual thing cops do when they realised that they’d got it wrong and the bike did indeed have proper seats.
    Instead of simply saying “oh, sorry, my mistake – have a nice day” their sense of self importance and the need to assert their authority – as usual – got the better of them.
    There’s too many of them that simply can’t face looking like they got something wrong and sending people off with a cheery wave.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Sorry charlie, came across a bit pedantic, wasn’t meant to.

If anything it confirms that they had no idea what they were talking about, she’d have got a ticket if they could have given one I’m sure.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘PSA – it's apparently illegal to ride on the road with a trailer and your son…’ is closed to new replies.