Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • PSA ISS going over tonight (Thursday) at 9:44 – clear skies should be good
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

Pedant! 😛

rwamartin
    Free Member

A good pair of binoculars is a better bet than a telescope.
    Rich.

trout
    Free Member

Going over again in a few minutes and nice clear skys here in Yorkshire

cardo

Cool just seen it go over darn Sarf, that is shifting

martinhutch

That was a cool thing to show the kids. Thanks.

Wally

Likewise, so cool all family peering out of velux windows. Being 3 stories up helps view…

slowoldman

I waved, but no response. Didn’t even flash the headlamps.

theotherjonv

Kids well impressed, particularly following the view from the ISS on the Hudl at the same time as watching it overhead.

Wife less so as they’re supposed to be in bed!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I use this

http://spaceweather.com/flybys/search_results.php?lat=54.3&long=-1.55&offset=0&country=GB&state=North%20Yorkshire&city=Leeming%20Bar

to see when It’s around but you may have to put your own location in.

On Xmas eve last year while at work I let 2 prisoners come to the wing gate to see it go over (both were interested in techy/space stuff but had never seen it) One of them said it was the best Xmas prezzie he’d ever had.
    Which was nice.

Garry_Lager

I use this

http://spaceweather.com/flybys/search_results.php?lat=54.3&long=-1.55&offset=0&country=GB&state=North%20Yorkshire&city=Leeming%20Bar

to see when It’s around but you may have to put your own location in.Excellent linkage essel – just seen it go over Manchester bright as a button. Not seen it before.
    Shame I missed the earlier one to show the bairns, but will know for another time.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Going over at 9.34.04 tomorrow night from the west again, only brighter.
    & only if It’s clear!

stumpy01

I saw it tonight. Had my camera ready, but curry took precedence and couldn’t be bothered to stand around outside while it was getting cold (the curry).

I used the ISS detector app on Android and it worked perfectly. Very impressed, will be showing it to my nephews this weekend.

globalti
    Free Member

Mrs Gti nips out ans watches it most evenings; the rest of us are used to it now. It does move fast though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We were out again last night, this time with Mrs ws in tow, unbelievably she was impressed in after a few glasses of wine!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I watched it tonight for the first time. Quite impressive especially when you see how fast it’s moving.

colournoise

Rockhopper – Member
    I watched it tonight for the first time. Quite impressive especially when you see how fast it’s moving.

+1

trout
    Free Member

Amazing over 17000 mph

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Amazing over 17000 mph

& quite high too.

twang
    Free Member

Did I see this last night about 9.15ish?
    Camping in my van and went out for a tiddle, looked up at the stars as you do, 2 bright lights in the centre and 2 dimmer ones further out. It was huge though, at least 3x the wing span of the jets coming into land at Manchester and they were obviously a lot closer. Cant be that big shirley?

bigjim

do you have a sore bum today?

tonyplym
    Free Member
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Camping in my van and went out for a tiddle, looked up at the stars as you do, 2 bright lights in the centre and 2 dimmer ones further out. It was huge though, at least 3x the wing span of the jets coming into land at Manchester and they were obviously a lot closer. Cant be that big shirley?

Na, That was just a UFO. ISS is a single point of light.

twang
    Free Member

Ooh… Don’t know Wtf it was then? Wasn’t a plane, there was no flashing red/green lights and no noise..(cue twilight zone music)
    Bums dribble-free thanks 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

**** islamic state getting everywhere

I keep thinking the title says ISIS!

used to watch it going over when on holiday at Annecy. In fact it was there I realised you can see satellites too and now I always look up on a clear night to see if I can spot one.

bearnecessities

Spooky. Was visiting my Dad over the last few days in Exmouth and we were out having a walk at about 10pm last night post-dinner, talking about the ISS playing Santa at Christmas time (last time I was there) and bugger me, there it was, gliding along in the sky!*

*I think.

scotroutes

Wheee!

geoffj

Just seen it here – followed it from Plymouth > Paris and then lost it as it passed over Zurich.
    Never fails to amaze.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Umm, how fast should the ISS be traveling across the sky when viewed by the naked eye?

It was due over Bristol between 9:12-9:15. I saw a v small light moving across the sky but I thought it was a plane as it looked to be moving a similar speed.

However, there is also a bright light I assumed was the ISS… but it’s still there so now wondering if it’s Venus!

geoffj

It was due over Bristol between 9:12-9:15. I saw a v small light moving across the sky but I thought it was a plane as it looked to be moving a similar speed.

Likely this, travelling from west to east virtually overhead?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh we just saw it in London, we’re on the Thames so a really good view of it.

Most excellent.

Gary_C

256 miles up, travelling at 17,000mph. 🙂

ell_tell
    Free Member

So, is there a dummies guide to spotting it?

Looking up at the sky I’m not sure if it’s definitely the ISS I’m looking at. A bit like those magic eye pictures that used to be popular many years ago.

andytherocketeer

dummies guide…

if it looks like a really bright star moving West-East (roughly) across the sky, then that’s it

if it looks like a really bright star not moving, then it’s a planet or maybe sirius

ell_tell
    Free Member

Cheers. There’s another pass tomorrow night so I’ll try again. Some vids on YouTube showing passes are pretty neat too

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its about the same size as Venus and it moves much quicker than you might be expecting it to.

If its flashing different colors then its most likely an airplane.

grey

Just watched the ISS go over again, just so cool. I’ll be looking again tomorrow night.
    I think I may be addicted

irvb

It flew over on Xmas evening.

I told my 4yr old nephew that Father Xmas was heading back to Lapland so we could go outside and try to spot him. Sure enough there “he” was.

4yr old went MENTAL.

Recommended for anybody with small kids if the timing’s right. (Although I now feel I should have told him the truth, as the ISS is cooler than Santa).

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Yay, finally spotted it 😀

Was a bit more southerly than I expected, had a fair lick on too. A plane passed directly overhead at the same time, the passengers would of had a cracking view if they had known.

Cougar

Caught it tonight also, a shade after 9pm. Bright enough to still see it when it went behind the clouds, even.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Spotted it again tonight (now an official geek).

Mrs bluearsedfly and bluearsedfly junior no 1 were very impressed, the Mrs managed to spot a second satellite travelling roughly due north at the same time.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘PSA ISS going over tonight (Thursday) at 9:44 – clear skies should be good’ is closed to new replies.