Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA: Is dis 'da shizzle'? French-press content.
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

For all ye adventure bods and caffeine fanatics…

Stanley Adventure Cook and Brew Coffee Press, Stainless Steel, 0.95 Litre https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y1522DV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LfkFzbGRTEVWT

Now in a more ‘generous’ size than their previous iteration.

And you can cook with it too!

maccruiskeen

How do they work in practice – is that plastic insert the plunger?

I’m not looking for an adventure-proof one as such but I’d like to be able to chuck coffee-making kit in my overnight bag when I’m working away and a regular glass caffetire is too fragile for that.

I’d be a bit worried about the insert having that ‘insulated-mug’ taste though.

I’ve got a fancy campfire-powered coffee pot that I’ve never actually used (bought it as a prop for a photo shoot) – a bit on the big size though.

Now in a more ‘generous’ size than their previous iteration.

Is the less generous one still available? Two mug-fulls would be plenty.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

No experience of this particular model, as it seems fairly new, but it’s on my ‘radar’.

Yes, it appears that the plastic insert is the plunger, but from my experience with their smaller adventure pot (with the two small plastic cups), it should be BPA free. Don’t know if that will affect the taste once you add boiling water.

Their smaller (470 ml) coffee press/ flask is still available, albeit at a pricier £28 approx.

It got me excited (as you can tell) because I had been thinking about buying a robust French-press and you can also use this to boil your pasta or whatever.

My only reservation would be about replacing the mesh filter should it wear out.

honourablegeorge

Aeropress might suit you, maccruiskeen

seadog101

I’m not looking for an adventure-proof one as such but I’d like to be able to chuck coffee-making kit in my overnight bag when I’m working away and a regular glass caffetire is too fragile for that.

You need an Aeropress…

Aeropress on Amazon

matt_outandabout

I have a GSI french press and cup. Best thing ever… Like you I take it outdoors but also have used it when traveling…

Edit:this one.

aide

I have just got the stanley adventure set (the one with the two cups) and a standard size cafetiere fits into it just nicely (thanks you-tube) dunno if it will replace my basic ortileb drip system though

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

And then I saw this

Stanley Adventure 6-Cup Percolator, Stainless Steel, 1 Litre https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CV2OMN0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LHsFzbQHEHZP0

As appealing as the other steel presses are, I like the ability to place this unit directly on the stove.

Just thought I’d flag these up as they seem just as handy for getting a brew-on at home as when out bike packing.

davidr

I just use a Bodum single French press travel mug. Works well, easy to stick in a bag if I’m away.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Lol!

There’s a difference between a French press and a percolator.

Still, it would make a nice kettle, should my solo pot 900 ever get mangled in transit.

maccruiskeen

Well – decided to push the button on the stanley one on the OP

Just made a cuppa this morning – v impressed. The functional difference between these and a regular french press is the filter in on the end of a tight-fitting sleeve that slides into the pot and has rubber gasket. The result is a much better seal for the filter (which is also pretty fine) and less fine grounds getting round the side compare to a regular glass Bodum type thing. Gains you and extra mouthful at the bottom of the mug.

No plasticy taste – I guess the plunger is only in there for a few seconds.

Seems pretty light and robust – no danger of it smashing but I think it would stlll need to be packed carried fairly carefully as dent in the metal will stop the plunger from plunging.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@maccruisken
    Thanks for posting the review. Coffee’s a hotly debated topic here and the Stanley wasn’t much dearer than a regular steel cafitierre so I had to flag it up.

as for the Stanley adventure cookset, that’s a great idea, using a regular plunger inside it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Is dis 'da shizzle'? French-press content.’ is closed to new replies.