Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA: iOS 6 and user tracking.
  • Cougar

Probably a storm in a teacup, but something you should be aware of and thus make an educated decision about if you’re using iOS 6.

Apple resumes User Tracking with iOS 6. Here’s how to disable it

grum
    Free Member

LUCKY THIS ONLY AFFECTS THE DUMB SHEEPLE

robowns
    Free Member

So it tracks what sites you visit but isn’t traceable back to the end user? So who would care?

Cougar

Hence “make an informed decision” rather than ZOMG APPLZ R TEH EVIL, non?

GrahamS

Really odd one this. They deprecated the Universal Device ID, which they had before and allowed for tracking, and introduced a new ID that can be turned off in Settings and is randomly reset every now and then.

And that’s bad?

Some more coverage of it on El Reg but just as hysterical:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/17/itrack/

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is that what google does with your computer?

philconsequence
    Free Member

fan bois

Cougar

fan bois

Belgian fruit beer?

philconsequence
    Free Member

its french for ‘ironic beard’

trail_rat
    Free Member

user tracking ? ios6 doesnt even know where it is when i type in where it is …..

Cougar

‘s a good point. If it’s tracking you using its own mapping software then it’s a non-issue anyway as it probably thinks you’re on an oil rig in the middle of the North Sea. (-:

rusty90
    Free Member

My iPhone has my current location as just outside Droitwich Spa. Funny how many people in this part of Worcestershire speak Welsh.

GrahamS

S’not that kind of tracking.

It’s just tracking you through adverts – in pretty much exactly the same way that Google provides personalised adverts based on what you have looked at in the past.

Cougar

(I know this, comedic licence)

GrahamS

Fairymuff. It does actually do location-based iAds too, but they are slightly different (and can also be turned off in Settings).

Personally I don’t see the issue. If I’m going to be subjected to ads then I’d rather they were at least relevant. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So we started the thread on a negative and by now we’ve decided that relevant adverts are useful

I’m cool with that.

😉

Cougar

If I’m going to be subjected to ads then I’d rather they were at least relevant.

Yeah, I’ve always been of much the same mind.

So we started the thread on a negative and by now we’ve decided that relevant adverts are useful

My OP wasn’t supposed to be negative, just factual.

scuzz
    Free Member

I take issue with how Apple hid the off button in the place you’d usually find dedications to coders’ dead dogs, labeled it ‘yes’, with the word ‘limited’ in the thing you are opting out of, making it unclear what your new ad regime will be.
    I mean – they could have done it any other way, yet they decided to present this face to their consumers.

Also, how are the adverts for TVs I receive after I’ve bought a new TV relevant? Adverts are only relevant if the provider knows why I looked at a certain page. Aside from generalisations, the data required to ascertain this is far more invasive, and is a path I’d prefer corporations not to walk down.

CountZero

trail_rat – Member
    user tracking ? ios6 doesnt even know where it is when i type in where it is …..

Neither does Google…
    I drove down to some friends who live in an old farmhouse on an unnamed road near Start Point, Devon.
    Apple maps dropped a pin right by the house. Google maps wouldn’t even recognise the address!
    I drove all the way down using Apple Maps voice guidance, which worked perfectly.
    It’s only flaw comes when you have an almost non-existent phone signal and no wifi, as the app can’t access the server for mapping data.
    A flaw which all cloud-based mapping systems suffer from, like Google.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA: iOS 6 and user tracking.’ is closed to new replies.