Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • PSA – Inside Porton Down tonight (28 June) 21:00 on BBC4
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Dr Michael Mosley investigates Britain’s most secretive and controversial military research base, Porton Down, on its 100th anniversary. He comes face to face with chemical and biological weapons old and new, reveals the truth about animal and human testing, and discovers how the latest science and technology are helping to defend the UK against terrorist attacks and rogue nations

Sounds very interesting.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of course, they won’t show you the bits which would really make you think……

Drac

Yeah sounds interesting

jam-bo

not entirely relevant but I was in the security queue at porton down once when the fresh faced graduate in front of me was informed his 10am interview was at portsdown west, not porton down.

I’m guessing he didn’t get there in time or get the job.

jonm81

The real interesting stuff happened/happens at Fort Halstead like the design of the UK atomic bomb. The history of Porton is boring in comparison.

cinnamon_girl

Looking forward to this having cycled partly along the perimeter a couple of years ago whilst exploring new territory.

freeagent
    Free Member

The real interesting stuff happened/happens at Fort Halstead like the design of the UK atomic bomb

Really? well I never knew that.. I thought all the Atomic stuff was done at Aldermaston, with a bit of testing in Shoebury (I worked for AWE at Shoebury for a while)

I cycle past Fort Halsted all the time and there never appears to be much going on at all.

avdave2

(I worked for AWE at Shoebury for a while)

When was that freeagent, I was there from 1989 – 1996?

I have friends who were at Fort Halstead but have now moved to Porton Down as a lot of the work has been relocated.

jonm81

Really? well I never knew that.. I thought all the Atomic stuff was done at Aldermaston, with a bit of testing in Shoebury (I worked for AWE at Shoebury for a while)

It was designed by William Penney at the Fort hence one of the roads being called Penney Road. One of the old guys there wrote a book on the history which is very interesting.

I cycle past Fort Halsted all the time and there never appears to be much going on at all.

To be fair a lot has now moved off the site which was slowly being flattened by the time I left but it really does have an important role and interesting history.

Moses

I’ve been inside there a few times for work. Yes, they still do plenty of interesting stuff.

They have handwritten records from WW1 describing the effects of poison gases on men. These are the only ones available… after a few deaths and other accidents they decided to stop testing the real nasties on people.

freeagent
    Free Member

(I worked for AWE at Shoebury for a while)

When was that freeagent, I was there from 1989 – 1996?

Early 2000’s after the main AWE had closed down.
    There was (and as far as I know – still is) a small group of contractors who carry out field work for Aldermaston – I contracted for them for a couple of years, building structures for testing.

My folks lived on Foulness from 1998 until about 18 months ago.

avdave2

There were a few who remained behind in the instrumentation department and a couple of other areas, my friend Nick remained as the only photographer until he then went to Fort Halstead but that would have been before you were there I think. I assume you must have been at S group if you were on structures, we did a lot of work for them filming tests on various structures and models while I was there.Foulness must have been an interesting place to live, if ever there were a place you didn’t need to lock your front door that would have been it.
    I heard while I was there that when it was evacuated during the flooding of 1957 there were people in their 70’s who were leaving the island for the first time in their lives. I’m not sure it was strictly true but it gave a very good idea of the kind of place it was.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Even in the 90’s they would sending notices around the armed forces asking for volunteers. lots of young lads had never heard of them and went to volunteer as the notices made it sound exciting. Luckily for them the senior ranks knew what happened there and stopped them from doing so.

DezB
    Free Member

Haven’t been told not to tell people who I work for (started this week!), but one of our sites is Porton Down. Will be tuning in with interest tonight 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

still editable, just…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting, I know a few people who have worked there. They will say nothing aside from there is some really nasty stuff there and you wouldn’t want to make a mistake or even turn up for work hungover !

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just come back from Cornwall, you could see Nancekuke (it’s not called that any more) from our cottage, supposedly they used to make the stuff that was too dangerous for Porton Down there.
    Interesting reading
    Maybe I won’t go exploring those caves along from Porthtowan beach after all. 😯

CountZero

Interesting, I know a few people who have worked there. They will say nothing aside from there is some really nasty stuff there and you wouldn’t want to make a mistake or even turn up for work hungover !

Dr Michael Mosley investigates Britain’s most secretive and controversial military research base, Porton Down, on its 100th anniversary. He comes face to face with chemical and biological weapons old and new, reveals the truth about animal and human testing, and discovers how the latest science and technology are helping to defend the UK against terrorist attacks and rogue nations

Pretty much goes without saying…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That was a very good, if not scary programme.

Thanks for the PSA

slowoldman

Yes, very interesting. Be careful what you pick up on the beaches.

It did make we wonder why anyone would take the risk to rustle up some lethal agent for a TV programme. Shits and giggles I guess.

Drac

Shit I thought I’d missed it. Forgot one channel it was on. 😳

cchris2lou

@ Freeagent , some great trails just next to it . Not common knowledge though .

I ride past it quite a lot too and i think it, most of it has been sold to developers .

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Interesting and scary program fascinating the disposal work they are still doing there makes you wonder what’s still hanging around undisturbed!

footflaps

Goof program, will take them for ever to destroy their stockpile of old stuff at that rate. Was also really surprised they keep the rusting shells in the open, surely one of then is going to leak at some point?

footflaps

One of the old guys there wrote a book on the history which is very interesting.

English Heritage have a great book on the history of the UK atom bomb project

http://www.english-heritageshop.org.uk/books-media/cold-war

gonefishin
    Free Member

Goof program, will take them for ever to destroy their stockpile of old stuff at that rate. Was also really surprised they keep the rusting shells in the open, surely one of then is going to leak at some point?

Given what’s in them would you rather they leaked inside a building?

freeagent
    Free Member

@ Freeagent , some great trails just next to it . Not common knowledge though .

I ride past it quite a lot too and i think it, most of it has been sold to developers .

Next to Fort Halsted?
    ooohh.. go on, give us a clue…

footflaps

Given what’s in them would you rather they leaked inside a building?

At least it would be contained and not able to be blown by the wind?

gonefishin
    Free Member

At least it would be contained and not able to be blown by the wind?

How do you think any release inside a building would be dealt with? By venting it outside is the answer and leaving it to disperse. Now I’m no expert in Porton Down but I have some experience with venting of Hazardous materials and some of the thing’s I’d likely do is to

1. locate any store at a suitable (i.e. remote) location to allow for dispersion.

2. control the access to that location

3. assess the condition of shells as they come in to ensure that a release isn’t likely using wall thickness checks. That stuff has been inside those shells for decades and internal corrosion is unlikely. external is much more likely and much easier to monitor and control.

I’m sure there are a load of other controls that I’ve not thought about but frankly the last place I’d want a load of shells containing stuff like that would on the inside of a building.

footflaps

How do you think any release inside a building would be dealt with? By venting it outside is the answer and leaving it to disperse

I’d have thought they’d have a filter on the air outlet, like Cockcroft’s Folly at Windscale.

Most of their lab outlets must be filtered, they can’t just suck up excess VX and vent it over the site from a chimney on the roof!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Most of their lab outlets must be filtered, they can’t just suck up excess VX and vent it over the site from a chimney on the roof!

The stuff in the shells is poison gas rather than nerve gas, mostly from WWI if I heard correctly. Safest and most cost effective way of dealing with an accidental release would be dispersion. Obviously that’s something that you’d rather avoid for all the shells but if it came to it it’d be the least bad option.

CountZero

Just watched it, a fascinating programme. And a timely reminder that there are seriously twisted people who are prepared to use things like sarin as a weapon against innocent civilians.
    Of course, to your average jihadist or whatever, nobody is innocent who fails to subscribe to their own worldview, so the ends will always justify the means.

eskay

On again now on BBC four

DezB
    Free Member

Saying they’d vent an accidental release and allow it to disperse!! Yeah, maybe they haven’t thought about it much and that’s probably the best solution some of the greatest scientific minds in Britain could come up with! 😆

cchris2lou

@ Freeagent , drop me an email (in profile ) .

TheDTs
    Free Member

Good program, thanks for the PSA.
    I Was looking out for my cousin, she works there somewhere. Last time I saw her was during the Ebola outbreak, quite interesting to get her views. They were training people, who were heading out to Africa.

The Industrial estate where I work used to have an ammunition packing factory on it, up the road was the factory where the mustard gas was produced.
    My grandfather used to tell me to be very careful if i was ever digging any holes in the ground.
    Helpful advice as we make and fit signs in the area and am regularly digging post holes…

Well I’m still here.
    He said the factory was demolished and buried, it now has a massive warehouse full of booze on top.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

craigxxl – Member
    Even in the 90’s they would sending notices around the armed forces asking for volunteers. lots of young lads had never heard of them and went to volunteer as the notices made it sound exciting. Luckily for them the senior ranks knew what happened there and stopped them from doing so.

I did a few weeks at Porton Down in the 90’s, no extra limbs have grown since, no health problems etc. The joining instructions stated “personnel must have well-worn combat boots” so I’m sure you can figure out the testing was mainly physical in nature.

The extra money was very welcome.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Inside Porton Down tonight (28 June) 21:00 on BBC4’ is closed to new replies.