Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • PSA: HTC Desire 2.2 OTA update available
  • muggomagic

Sorry if it's been done, but i've been away all weekend. Just started my phone up and checked for software update and there it was.
    Just loaded it up and it's all there, as far as I can see.

freddyg
    Free Member

Just checked on mime and it's not available. 2.1 sp1 and it say's I'm up to date. Who are you with?

muggomagic

I am with 3 but got the upgrade from the carphone warehouse which seems to be unlocked. Just done a very quick search (one of the many benefits with running 2.2 is a faster browser) and it seems unlocked phone are getting it today and phones that are locked to specific carriers will need to wait a couple more weeks.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How do you check for software updates?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Settings > About phone > System software updates

kevin1911

Apparantly if you're on Orange it will be ages before you get the update cos Orange need to add in all their branding stuff. Boo hiss.

muggomagic

good things so far.

noticably quicker browsing. loads the pages bloody quick.
    switches between apps quicker too.
    great to finally be able to free up phone memory by switching app storage to sd card. can finally install google earth.
    app sharing is a great idea.
    htc flashlight

Dibbs
    Free Member

“The Android 2.2 (FroYo) update for HTC Desire will start rolling out across Europe this weekend. As well as including the complete set of Android 2.2 features, the update will contain a few special additions of our own through the latest iteration of HTC Sense. The update will provide 720p video capture, HTC’s App Share widget, as well as our enhanced HTC Caller ID, and improved multi-language keyboard. Also, though the update, HTC Sync will allow HTC Desire users to sync their music with iTunes.

From http://www.coolsmartphone.com

muggomagic

No itunes sync as far as I can see. A quick search suggests that its not available in this update.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Seems t-mobile desire will get update in September , as they are joined with Orange now let's hope Orange customers will get it then as well and not as a Christmas pressy. It would be nice if Orange would take there crap off the Rom and the un deletable demos.

From coolsmartphone.com

billybob
    Free Member

No itunes sync as far as I can see. A quick search suggests that its not available in this update.

Pretty sure there'll never be an itunes sync, given how much HTC & Apple enjoy suing each other over various patents…

I'm downloading mine now & I'm on orange… but I got mine phone from Carphone Warehouse before the orange boffins could put any of their crap on there!

muggomagic

i think all carphone warehouse phones are sim free. They just have a stock of phones that they supply with whichever carrier you choose.

shame about the itunes sync, as probably the only thing I miss from the iphone is the ease of just plugging it in and all the podcasts auto updating.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Good news. I got 2.2 this morning.

Bad news. Camera not working. Can't connect to internet

Anyone else had probs?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Internet problem sorted.

muggomagic

My camera is ok

scholarsgate
    Free Member

it attempts to open the camera and then dies.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

sorted it. I had a LED torch installed. Removed it now ok. Must have been a conflict.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Humph, my nice SE Xperia X10 is still on 1.6, despite only being released in March. Might have 2.1 by october mutter mutter mutter.

sofaking
    Free Member

on o2 here and it says running 2.1 no updates available,
    is that the same for others on o2 ?

MrGreedy

@sofaking – Yup, nothing on O2 here either

muggomagic

my battery has died in a record 6 hours! used to get 36-48 hours. might have to check the sync settings, can only assume there is loads running in the background. hope this is not a sign of things to come. one of my biggest problems with the iphone was the crap battery life.

freddyg
    Free Member

Do you know if the bluetooth voice dialling has been added as promised?

verses

T-mobile user here, apparently we get the update in September. I'm not sure what the delay is, as the only branding that appears to be present is a quick splash screen as the phone boots…

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Upgraded here this morning. So far so good apart from my battery taking a bashing down to half power after about 4hrs unplugged. Will have to see what new things are eating my battery.

disco_stu
    Free Member

scholarsgate – Member

Internet problem sorted.

just updated my desire and i can't get onto the internet, scholarsgate what did you do to resolve it?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Starting to get issues with my Desire (on Orange) – loses network coverage then won't get it back until I take the battery out and restart it (it won't turn off either), browser (Dolphin) keeps freezing and a few other irritations.

Hoping 2.2 will speed it up and sort it out.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Debranding your handset should allow the updates to flow. Networks frequently add bits to the firmware releases to keep their branding etc on the handset, which means the update is delayed while they dick about.
    Had to this to my X10 to get a firmware update that was released by SE, but O2 knew nothing about and weren't pushing it out.
    Was worth it as has doubled the battery life.

Adders69
    Free Member

I'm on O2, and the update became available last night. I've applied the FOTA update this morning, and all seems good. Got the phone from CPW, so the unlocked / unbranded pile of phones theory might be a good one!?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

just updated my desire and i can't get onto the internet, scholarsgate what did you do to resolve it?

Just went into settings/wireless & networks/Mobile Networks/Access point names.

My carrier, 3, had become unselected. Reselected it and hey presto.

TheFlyingOx

bigyinn

How did you do the X10 debrand & update thing? I'm stuck on 1.6 with the old firmware, and I'm fed up of needing to charge every 6 hours.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try looking HERE
    You won't get Android 2.1 until sept / oct probably, but you'll be able to get the latest firmware etc after.

Its a bit of a faff, but persevere and it'll be fine.
    The SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) is probably the better one of the two methods to try.

firestarter
    Free Member

Think your right scholarsgate as still not available on o2 for me. Not fussed mind phone is good enough on.:)

andydicko
    Free Member

Did mine last night, unable to transfer Apps to SD card though, anyone else got the same problem?

Andituk
    Free Member

Only some apps will do it, it has to be written in to the software of the app. There's an app called SDMove that goes through and finds all the ones you can move.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Took my Desire in to the Orange shop in Truro today about the scratched lens and got some complete ar5e trying to patronise me to death. Had it not been a shop, I would have lamped him.

Is it reasonable to expect a lens NOT to scratch when left in a pocket?

There was a bit of sand on the edge – apparently that's "blatant misuse" of the phone.

Emailed a complaint so hope the muppet gets some stick.

Dibbs
    Free Member

You put your phone in your pocket with some sand and then blame someone else when it gets scratched. 🙄

TheFlyingOx

Cheers bigyinn :thumbsup:

stumpy01

Surf-Mat – Member
    Took my Desire in to the Orange shop in Truro today about the scratched lens and got some complete ar5e trying to patronise me to death. Had it not been a shop, I would have lamped him.

Is it the lens or the phone cover that's scratched? If it's the cover then you can probably get a replacement and that's why I always use a phone sock as most phone cameras don't have a cover for the front erm, 'element'. An unprotected phone will get scratched – end of.

If the sand has got under the cover and actually scratched then lens then that is a bit odd, as the fit of the back cover is pretty tight and a grain of sand isn't exactly small, but I'm not sure what the shop is supposed to do to resolve this??

It's like complaining that you've got a stone chip on the bonnet of your car or your chain is chipping the paint off the chainstay of your bike….

muggomagic

It can surely only be the back cover that's scratched, sand is not going to get behind the cover. Mine is a little scratched, but it still takes good pics.

Get yourself one of these and when available one of these

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘PSA: HTC Desire 2.2 OTA update available’ is closed to new replies.