Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PSA: Hp microservers cashback
  • z1ppy

This seems to come round now and again, & be well received, so thought it worth a mention.. seen 2 different ones being offered by ebuyer with cashback over the last week.. (though I have no idea if they are any good)
    Current offer for HP ProLiant ML10
    I have no doubt other sellers are/will be offering the same…

squirrelking
    Free Member

This is the one you want.

Although looking at it it’s nowhere near as well priced as the previous generation AMD models. You could build something yourself for a similar price.

simon_g

correct link hopefully

If you’re purely comparing with a whitebox PC then maybe. A case that size that’ll take 4×3.5″ drives (plus an SSD up top if you get an extra cable), plus a power supply, motherboard, CPU, RAM would be tricky for £115 these cost.

It has dual NICs and proper HP iLO management, although you do have to licence it to get full functionality. I’ve just got one to replace an old home NAS and am very pleased with it so far.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    retro83
    Free Member

Cheers for the PSA, price seems good to me. I have an N40L and it’s been great. This looks even better with the iLO etc.

gwaelod
    Free Member

any issues running them as linux servers rather than windows

Cougar

The ‘real’ Proliants are officially supported for Linux. I’d expect the same to be true of the Microservers.

simon_g

Supported for RHEL and SLES. Ubuntu have certified it too. I’ve seen various guides on installing CentOS and others too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I take the point that it has a lot more features than a standard PC but for home use as a media server or NAS you can get a build for about the same price (integrated AMD APU on ITX) if you’re not fussed about the case. The old ones came with a drive as well for the same price.

For a complete build though its still good value but, as I said, not as good as the 7th gen.

Cheaper link

retro83
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member
    I take the point that it has a lot more features than a standard PC but for home use as a media server or NAS you can get a build for about the same price (integrated AMD APU on ITX) if you’re not fussed about the case. The old ones came with a drive as well for the same price.

Well they came with a tiny drive that everybody took out and threw away.

I think to compare it to a self-build with a cheap case misses the beauty of these things which is that it’s a cheap, but still a properly built HP server. Just like their Proliant models, the drives click nicely in place, everything is mounted securely, they come apart easily (and with a single tool), cooling is good, spares available etc.

allthepies
    Free Member

Bargain!

I bought the previous generation (N54L) microserver last year on a cashback deal, ended up costing £80 !

Put xpenology on it, fitted 2x2Tb HDDs and I’ve now got a very powerful Synology powered NAS box, marvellous.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Hp microservers cashback’ is closed to new replies.