Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • PSA. Home made woodburners..
  • totalshell

having read on similar forums, topics discussing and how to make these things , i thought i’d copy an email ive just recieved from Calor.

”Calor Gas has announced that it will take legal action against those who post advice online as to how to tamper with its gas cylinders in order to make wood burners.

The announcement follows the company’s recent warning on Plumbzine, issue 142, of the dangers of attempting to construct wood burners from liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders.

Calor has become aware of a number of websites giving instructions about how to transform or deconstruct LPG cylinders, for example, into domestic wood burners, and is now looking to take legal action against persistent offenders.

Mark Hobday, business control manager, Calor, said:”Calor cylinders are used widely, whether at home, for leisure or at work, and their safety record is exemplary.

“However, it is alarming to see a rise in untrained people attempting to cut open cylinders. Advice on how to create wood burning stoves is widespread on the internet. This is not only dangerous but unlawful.

“Subsequently, Calor will be pursuing legal action against these websites and anyone who is found to be unlawfully tampering with cylinders.””

footflaps

Is there a statute law saying you can’t modify an old gas cylinder?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The cylinders are usually just hired are they not?

Once the paints burnt off, how do they identify the cylinder as one of theirs ?

footflaps

Even if they are hired, it’s a civil matter surely?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does sound like a load of hot air.

😀

Harry_the_Spider

Are people starting to make their own versions of these?

The Hotpod stoves

Bear
    Free Member

why would you cut a propane cylinder up anyhow? They are leathal when they go, and ok so there is little risk but there is still some risk.

phil.w
    Free Member

just been googling these, some look quite good.

even on ebay

footflaps

I think you’re only supposed to cut up empty cylinders….

footflaps

Those Ebay ones look great, I think I’ll get one for the Patio!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not sure how the ycan bring legal proceedings against people on the internet for posting intructions either. Seems like htey are just tryign to spook people.

ourmaninthenorth

Calor are being idiots. But they’re just trying to protect their brand.

I’m more worried that people have cut up gas bottled, converted them into a woodburner and allowed such a monstrosity into their own house..!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Whilst Calor may enjoy increased sales of gas cylinders as a result of this fad they can’t really condone people cutting open the LPG cylinders. I wonder how they could gain publicity without being seen to be encouraging the practice…….

sweepy
    Free Member

Calor could make this sort of thing safer by filling the cylinder with solid gold rather than gas, It would make them cheaper too.

Bunnyhop

I’m more worried that people have cut up gas bottled, converted them into a woodburner and allowed such a monstrosity into their own house..!

Snigger.
    Taste is in the eye of the beholder and I’m guessing these will look a little naff.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The cylinders are usually just hired are they not?

You can buy them outright. We have 4 or 5 we’ve bought outright at camping places. You can also find them at the side of the road.

I can’t see how it is illegal, and clearly the safe way to cut one up is to remove the upper valve unit after it is empty, fill it with water then cut. Doesn’t take a bright spark to do it safely.

miketually
    Free Member

Doesn’t take a bright spark to do it safely.

🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 Awesome, unintentional humour!

MrGrim

How long till they break down my back doors! 😯

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/diy-wood-burning-stove-help

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Are people starting to make their own versions of these?

Here’s one a friend of mine put together

He’s a fitter by trade and called in a few favers to help him finish it off. He was a bit apprehensive with the first initial cut into the bottle bit it turned out to be not a problem. Total cost? £120

mattsccm
    Free Member

Cutting is dead easy. lay bottle on side with the open bit of the handle up so you can see the valve. Face the bottom with valve behind you, between legs. Use big sledge hammer an wack the valve , it will break off, an gas left will escape. I know it sounds daft but it works every time. Don’t ask me how I know.
    Obviously only use “empty” bottle and whats left is minmal. If you are feeling fussy let the bottle sit upside down for a bit or fill with water.
    They make nice BBQ’s as well. Weld a steel car wheels to the top “handle” . Old mini wheels for a small family or 16″ landrover wheels for a social.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘PSA. Home made woodburners..’ is closed to new replies.