Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • PSA: Hip Hop Fans
  • AlexSimon

Gilles Peterson did a 3h Hip Hop special on Saturday.
    Some absolute classics in there as well as some historic stuff I hadn’t heard before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b091h6c3

Going back for a 3rd listen!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep – it was a good weekend on 6 – lots of HipHop to be heard. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Cool tracklist there. not nearly as obvious as I expected 😀

binners

Craig Charles was really good too. All the funk and soul that had influenced and been sampled on hip hop tracks

AlexSimon

I always listen to Craig Charles, so that’s up next.
    Any other shows that I shouldn’t miss?

AlexSimon

DezB – Member

Cool tracklist there. not nearly as obvious as I expected It was obvious in all the areas I wanted it to be 🙂 (Gang Starr/Jungle Brothers/La Raza/Breathe & Stop/Roots Manuva/etc) with some nice surpises too.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m gonna do a bloody mix! So peple get to hear some new stuff. They probly don’t want to though 🙁

AlexSimon

DezB – Member

I’m gonna do a bloody mix! So peple get to hear some new stuff. They probly don’t want to though Don’t go assuming we don’t listen to new stuff just because we also like some old stuff!*

I listen to http://www.wefunkradio.com all the time which is a really good mix of old/new/hiphop/funk/soul. All 912 episodes available for streaming!

Currently playing for me is Urbs & Cutex – is.

*although feel free to do a mix

DezB
    Free Member

*although feel free to do a mix

Tracklist is being compiled.

Most people seem to need to hear familiar things, but hopefully there’ll be some open minded individuals alistening 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I’ll listen Dez.

eskay

Loyle Carner’s show on 6 was good as well (he also has a new album out DezB!).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Coldcut 30th aniversary mix of Paid In Full here (from Huey but an MP3)

Throw this switch:
    https://huffduffer.com/m/423778

eskay

This is good:

flange
    Free Member

Appreciate the heads up – got a big document to write this morning and this will help me get through it…

Love a bit of Loyle Carner, he’s ace. Quite into Andy Cooper as well, I’m pretty certain he’s part of Ugly Duckling isn’t he?

I’ll listen Dez, always up for a bit of new hip hop.

DezB
    Free Member

Cool – got all the tracks decided on, just gotta get compiling 🙂

Hopefully up on Mixcloud this evening. Your bass cones are in danger of rupture.

eskay

Quite into Andy Cooper as well, I’m pretty certain he’s part of Ugly Duckling isn’t he?

Yes

As DezB said, there is so much good hiphop around and a lot of it coming from the UK. I fell out of love with some of the American stuff over the last few years, the UK stuff has a much more honest feel.

Here are some of my favourite UK artists from recent years (will have missed loads off but this is off of the top of my head).

Caxton press (Manage and Amy True have done some good solo stuff as well).
    Skinnyman (wish he would bring out some more music but think he may be banged up at the moment).
    Delegates of Culture plus most of their solo stuff (Skuff in particular)
    Mouse outfit
    Asaviour
    Si PHilli
    Chris Leese
    Efeks
    Twizzy
    Fliptrix
    Dr Syntax
    Hozay
    Verb T

mrsi
    Free Member

In a similar vein, I’ve been working my way through these recently. Generally a good listen and a good source of new things or reminder of stuff I haven’t been back to in years.

https://audioboom.com/channel/romeshranganathan

eskay

I love those podcasts, some of them are hilarious!

DezB
    Free Member

Here ya go chaps

There is a tracklist – hopefully add times at some point.

Had to do it in a bit of a rush, so the order isn’t great etc. but ya knaa. Hope someone enjoys it 😀

eskay

Any chance of sticking it on dropbox or google drive so that I can listen to it in the garage tomorrow Dez please?

Merak

There’s even a bit of DAS FX in GP show, blink and you’ll miss it 😉 The last 30 mins of that show were the bestest.

eskay

Thanks Dez, downloaded and will check it out tomorrow. I would like to do a reciprocal mix but not sure that I will get time to sort it, it may end up just being a Spotify playlist.

eskay

DezB – I have listened to your mix 4 or 5 times now. It is not the sort of thing I would normally listen to, but there are some good tracks on it (some pretty messed up tunes as well!). I think the second half is better (for me).

Here is my effort for some alternative sounds:

aa
    Free Member
    eskay

added tracklist to mix

DezB
    Free Member

Nice one eskay, glad you’ve had a few listens!
    Will catch up with the other stuff on here when back from Wales 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Awesome work Dez, listening to it now. Lot of stuff I’ve not heard before – consider my horizon expanded…

yunki
    Free Member

Nah man.. It’s not for me.
    I just can’t seem to get on with rap music.
    My hip hop journey started in the early 80s, so to me the genre is about uptempo dance music.
    I went on to dig a lot of the early boom bap with the shouty rebellious lyrics probably because I was a shouty rebellious teen at the time, but I quickly reverted to bboy breaks and turntablism.
    YoMTV Raps was just about the nail in the coffin for me.
    There’s a fantastic breaks scene still thriving, which is great for me, cos if I can’t breakdance to it I find it a pretty hard listen.
    I love clever wordplay and lyricism but just not this smooth almost baleful delivery. I’d take spoken word and rap battles over this new g-soul stuff all day long..

Waaaaah… I’m officially old and set in my ways

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yunki- stick with anything El-P and Killer Mike do then. you can’t go wrong there.

eskay

yunki – have you listened to my mix? It is a completely different style, you may get on better with it.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ll give it a whirl later eskay.. I’m being serenaded by the sqawks and screeching of two rambunctious kids in the last throes of summer (holiday) madness atm

DezB
    Free Member

I love clever wordplay and lyricism but just not this smooth almost baleful delivery. I’d take spoken word and rap battles over this new g-soul stuff all day long..

Is that what you found in the whole 2 hours+ ? Blimey, thought there were loads of different styles in there! Smooth and baleful is definitely my thing though.

stick with anything El-P and Killer Mike do then. you can’t go wrong there
    Yep, they were in there…

Anyway, aside from it just being stuff that I’m into, I think it shows there’s a damn site more to hip hop than guns, bitches and hos!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Some good stuff in here guys 🙂

Thank you

pondo

Belting Thursday listens – ta! 😀

AlexSimon

damn site more to hip hop than guns, bitches and hos!

imo Hip Hop doesn’t feature those things.

AlexSimon

I’m with Yunki in some ways. On DezB’s mix there were only 5 tracks I would listen to again and I already knew 3 of those.

Trying E-Skay’s now.

DezB
    Free Member

imo Hip Hop doesn’t feature those things.

Obviously wasn’t a comment aimed at people who know the music, it’s just a stereotypical image people have if you mention hip hop.

DezB
    Free Member

Just working my way through this list. Innnnteresting. Some of em are bleedin awful 😆

https://massappeal.com/best-71-rap-songs-2017-so-far/

eskay

Son of Sam – Cinder Hill, good album. Sampler on Soundcloud:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Hip Hop Fans’ is closed to new replies.