Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PSA – Helvellyn on Countryfile 6.30 BBC1
  • rascal
    Free Member

Ellie Harrison ‘climbs’ Helvellyn according to the TV guide.
    Def worth a watch then 🙂

deets

There’s not much I wouldn’t watch her doing, but maybe that’s just me!

chambord
    Free Member

You’ve got to be kidding, I even find matt baker less annoying. You can probably guess that countryfile is not usually on the TV here.

rascal
    Free Member

Chambord – if you dislike Countryfile so much, why did you even open the thread in the first place?

BTW, the Helvellyn bit was right at the end of the programme for all of about 2 minutes 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, somewhat underwhelming, when the lady in question was still in wellies my hopes of a good piece sank.

Still I have rescued folk off Striding Edge in winter in their wellies!!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you were in their wellies, what were they wearing?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Boom tish….

They were wearing mine!!!

(Joking apart young lad in the open chimney at the end of the edge in some and ice. I had been climbing on east face with Uni friend. He was completely stuck and in a poor position).

felltop

Ah yes, wellies on Helvellyn…. I once met a family of 3 just topping out at the Gough Memorial having traversed Striding Edge in winter conditions. Father had boots on, mother Hunter willies (“their designed for things like this”!!!), daughter wore what I can only describe as platform soles trainers. They weren’t impressed that descending Swirral Edge as they planned was not a good idea.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Two fell off swirrel edge yesterday and one of them died. Don’t know the fine detail tho.

Edit: http://mountainrescue.org.uk/incident?jobno=2015_004

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another fatality earlier this month, the guy was only reported missing from his hotel after two days having gone out alone. I have to say the “edges” aren’t for me even in the summer, I’m surprised so many go up there in these winter conditions and without the proper gear it seems.

Patterdale Mountain Rescue

dlr

Vaguely on topic, I went to the Dinefwr estate near the end of 2013 on a day off after riding in the Peaks and before heading to South Wales, I like castles….Carreg Cennen nearby also worth a look but I don’t recommend slipping on the path down to the caves and dropping your camera zzz

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

For those who tweet, it’s definitely worth checking out the Fell Top Assessors twitter feed for up to date conditions

A couple of photos from their feed, which shows what it’s currently like up there.

Not for those who venture out under prepared or without proper kit and training.

Think I’ll wait until Summer until I go up again.

willjones
    Free Member

One of our best days out up there was mid-winter. Got to the steep bit on Swirral Edge, weather turned, tested everything we knew getting down, finished up with a pint in the sun in Patterdale.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Pics look good and forecast looks good for tomorrow, think I might make the effort and go up on my own.
    Wellies or trainers, anyone?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Dunlop Green Flash will be fine I reckon. 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Swirral and Striding Edge never look that steep in the photos, they certainly do to me when I get there though !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Helvellyn on Countryfile 6.30 BBC1’ is closed to new replies.