Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • PSA Halfords Tool Chests £150
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just been looking at the Halfords website and I noticed that they have got a good deal on their own brand tool chests.

6 Drawer tool chest down from £100 to £50:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-6-drawer-tool-chest

And the roll cab to go with it down from £200 to £100:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-7-drawer-cabinet

You can get your 10% BC discount on top of this as well making it £135 for the pair.

stevious

Thanks for this. Ordered the roll cab last night for collection.

Got a phone call this morning saying ‘we have it in stock but it’s behind lots of boxes – can you give us a couple of hours before you pick it up?’

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Mrs bought one, surprisingly well made too.

jon1973
    Free Member

Great stuff. Been waiting for these to come up on off. Reserved.

Dickyboy

Not being a tool chest aficionado, are the halfords 6 drawer ones any good – I have a halfords tool box that I am happy with ?

mark90
    Free Member

They also have the better quality ‘industrial’ cabs on a bundle offer

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage?partnumber=ind_chestcabinet,bunws_industrial_orange,bunws_industrial_blue,bunws_industrial_green

Even available in enduro colourways

slimjim78
    Free Member

I would aim for the industrial ones if purchasing again – my std ones immediately started locking themselves at random occasions, resulting in majorly grazed knuckles trying to prise the b’stards open.

Have been working ok’ish since I went about them with a hammer though.

mrmoofo

The industrial ones are worth the extra ….

sands
    Free Member

mark90 – Member
    They also have the better quality ‘industrial’ cabs on a bundle offer
    slimjim78 – Member
    I would aim for the industrial ones if purchasing again
    mrmoofo – Member
    The industrial ones are worth the extra …

I bought the Industrial stack back in October.

Initially it was the same deal – top box plus roll cab for £299.

I (fortunately) dithered for a couple of days and then the offer was top box plus mid box plus roll cab for £349.

IIRC, at the time, I saw somewhere that a lot of the Halfords boxes arrive damaged. So if anyone buys, check for dents etc as soon as possible – mine were OK.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, i was in Halfords the other day and they’ve started doing the socket sets in black

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-200-piece-socket-set-limited-edition-black

Don’t need one, and i’m sure they would look tarnished really quickly, but they do look nice

oliverracing

Slightly off topic, i was in Halfords the other day and they’ve started doing the socket sets in black

Really wouldn’t want that – I find the parts in my silver set hard enough to spot!

EDIT: but those 200 sets really are lovely, the amount I use mine it has certainly paid for itself!

mark90
    Free Member

At first glance it makes it harder to distinguish standard sockets from impact sockets.

jambourgie
    Free Member

EDIT: but those 200 sets really are lovely

Until you open it upside down and all 9 billion bits (200) fall on the floor and you have to spend the next 12 hours playing the ‘where does this bit go’ game like some tedious jigsaw you never wanted to do in the first place.

But yeah, it’s a great socket set!

CHB

Black sockets sound nice, but shiny silver ones are easy to find when you leave them on the floor after a job. The Halfords cabinets are lovely and regularly on offer. I have three of them (pro, industrial and a bog standard one) and they are all good storage space.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The halfords kits are good starters but I hate shiny chrome sockets – much prefer peened Matt surface.

I also hate 12 point(bihex)sockets unless it’s on a 12point bolt (some brake callipers fixings usually) halfords 3/8s set are all bihex . Their 1/2″ and 1/4″ are 6 point but most often I use 3/8s

If looking for good sockets at a decent price I recommend bahco or as an addition to the halfords set I’d pop into Bnq and pick up a rail of 3/8s hex from their torq range which is surprisingly good for a cheap set. I bought a torq tool kit as a cheapo keep in the back of the land rover for emergencies kit for about 30 quid including a metal tool box with drawer and with exception of a terrible ratchet the rest of it’s been solid.

Black sockets is a recipe for disaster as I’ll end up sticking it on an impact gun !

If you buy the sockets and a tool box such as above halfords do tool kit specific inlay trays for the tool box for about 8 quid. Well worth it.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Cheers for the PSA OP. I have been waiting for the half price deal to come around again. Collecting mine tomorrow.

cbike
    Free Member

They obviously overstack their red and black tool drawers in the warehouse and the corners are always crushed, judging by display stock in Halfords Glasgow x2, Dundee and somewhere else I noted the condition.. I’d proceeed with caution.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hard to see how cbike. They are well packed inside the boxes inside with thick polystyrene packing inserts holding them secure

More likely that the kids who come in a and bash shit out of them in teh shop damage them.

Ive got 2 sets of the red and black ones in the garage used heavily and showing no signs of falling apart any time soon

trail_rat
    Free Member

fyi just got an email from machine mart – they are doing very nice prices on their chests

jon1973
    Free Member

Picked mine up today. Really pleased with it. Loads of space.

Drawers liners aren’t included, but I had some and they are really useful, stops the tools sliding around and allows you to lay out spanners etc out so you can find the one you want easily.

Drawers aren’t as smooth as the more expensive boxes with the ball bearing racers, but for the price, it’s good quality. Probably just need to be a bit careful and pull the drawers from the centre, so they don’t warp if you have them loaded up.

The base unit is heavy and awkward so you need a couple of people to unbox it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

viz top tip….

open box. roll it onto its side then upside down gently.

lift box.

Voila

footflaps

I bought their professional cabinet set a few years ago. All good, except one weld failed on the lid of the top unit, so the locking bar doesn’t work anymore on one side as it came loose. I just fixed it by drilling and bolting it back to the hinge.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘PSA Halfords Tool Chests £150’ is closed to new replies.