Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • PSA – Halfords tool chests
  • ogden
    Free Member

Cheers! I was looking at this yesterday

stox
    Free Member

Thanks! Must be worth a punt at that price

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Thanks for the PSA, ordered. Got to be better than the multiple broken toolboxes and random cardboard boxes that i’m currently using.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Seems to work on all the tool boxes. The professional bundle is cheaper buying the items individually and applying the code.

nickdavies

I tried to use the code on the professional bundle… no dice!

jam-bo

Doesn’t work on any of the bundles.

cyclistm
    Free Member

No but if you put the items in your basket individually it works out cheaper than the bundle price. (Not half the price but not bad)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Confused now. £62.50 on the blue one or £175 on the nearest equivalent pro range version. Big price jump does anyone think it’s justifiable for a home mechanic/serial tinkerer or would the blue one be fine?

Are the pro ones in the realm of the last tool storage I’ll ever need to buy or are they just a little bit better and not really worth the extra?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Based on previous conversations on this forum I’ve gone ‘pro’

somafunk

Industrial cabinets = Shand frame quality

Pro cabinets = Specialized frame quality

Blue cabinets = Apollo frame quality

Not quite as simple as that but sorta true if you squint out of one eye

newrobdob
    Free Member

The red pro ones are worth the extra, the industrial ones less so for the home user.
    Probably better to have a think about what you want to store first before you buy. I am thinking that the deep drawers won’t be much use to me so I might buy 2 of the top boxes.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I could live without Shand quality for my needs but Apollo quality is definitely beneath a man of my standing 🙂

The one bit I’m sure i want is the cabinet on wheels ‘cos a i prefer to work outside in the summer and being able to roll everything useful out of the shed in one trip would make this a bit simpler.

somafunk

Prob true for a person of your forum standing 😉 , blue cabinets contain and hold tools as well as the rest but the first time you open the door or a drawer and it twists or contorts due to the weight of the contents you’ll wish you paid the few £ extra for the red pro version.

everyone
    Free Member

Be warned that they’re frequently dented in shipping, I just said that I was happy to pull the dents out myself and they gave me 50% off.

It’s also worth noting that the lid (on the cabinets at least) needs to be open for the other drawers to open.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I got one of the red ones (cheapest) last April 2016 and it’s been great for me, its not full and only gets used to maintain my one bike.

I wheel it around to get my bike out, so its sturdy enough. Tjr drawers felt stiffer and smoother on the more expensive ones when comparing them in the shop.

For the money the amount of space you get is great! I love how easy it is to find the tool I need without having to open the whole thing and take half my tools out just to get to a spanner in the bottom.

simon_g

I had one of the lower quality ones – wasn’t big enough and the drawer slides, etc were pretty nasty. Upgraded to the red Pro stuff when the next offer came around and been very happy with it over the last few years.

Gave the old one to my dad, and to be fair he’s perfectly happy with it for storing a few tools in.

ogden
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to the pro one ? Can’t find it on the website

lunge

BC discount on top as well?

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got a full stack of the Red Pro level cabs – I reckon they’re pretty decent for the money, especially when deals like this are around.

I’ve also got a Snap-on top box and can see whey they cost so much more, but could never justify it for home use (I bought it second-hand 15 years ago)

jam-bo

i’m pretty certain the pro cabinets would be better quality, but at nearly 4x the price of this PSA they’d have to be.

I wouldn’t pay the £250 rrp, or the £125 sale price for this cabinet but for £62.50 its an absolute bargain.

cokie

I’ve got a set of the blue ones last summer for a similar price.
    I’m happy with them! Only used for bike tools and have had no issues.
    Everything still working correctly and look like new. For an amateur spannerer, why do you need more?!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

as long as they have roller bearing runners any will be fine.

mark90
    Free Member

Halfords 6 Drawer Tool Centre

Sorry – this product is unavailable right now

I should have ordered one last night instead of sleeping on it. Quite a few of my local stores had them in stock 😐

renton
    Free Member

Bargain, cheers just ordered and its ready for collection already !!

iain1775
    Free Member

don’t forget 3.15% topcashback (and if you have a card registered at Quidco and use that to pay you can get another 1%) and 10% BC discount works on click and collect

lunge

Ordered but just got a call from the store saying they don’t have stock. Gutted.

ogden
    Free Member

Just realised I haven’t uploaded a photo to BC, so I don’t have a membership card. Has anyone ever got away with just showing it on their phone?

z1ppy

Ordered but just got a call from the store saying they don’t have stock. Gutted.

Was enough to panic me into reserve the one I’ve been eyeing for the last 9 months. Hoping not to get ‘that’ call 😯

ogden
    Free Member

Just picked mine up for £56.25 with bc discount as well. Cheers

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Anyone know how long this offer will be running for?

z1ppy

Tuesday 30th, obviously dependant on stock

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just realised I haven’t uploaded a photo to BC, so I don’t have a membership card. Has anyone ever got away with just showing it on their phone?

Yes I did that the first time I joined BC when I was buying halfords tool chests funnily enough, the industrial one though, not the apollo ones 🙂

spacemonkey

Looks like they’ve all been sold 🙁

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Slept on it and decided to order the red ones. Got a missed call from the local Halfords whilst I was having lunch so popped in expecting the order to be cancelled. Apparently one of the cabinets that’s in stock is a bit knackered and they’ve ordered a new one one in which should be ready for collection on Saturday.

So all good so far.

iain1775
    Free Member

Last few times I just asked for the BC discount whilst still getting card out of wallet and they have applied it without even examining the card
    Just as well as its expired 😉

ogden
    Free Member

Yeah I said can I just show you it on my phone, but they didn’t look at it anyway

stumpyjon

Seems to be suddenly out of stock…..

wallop

I had a voicemail this morning – out of stock but they were ordering some in. Then I had a text telling me my order is ready – this is simply because the store cleared it off their system.

Apparently they are arriving in store next week and they’ll be honouring the discount 😆

jam-bo

Just picked mine up. At least one left on the shelf in Plymouth.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Halfords tool chests’ is closed to new replies.