Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • PSA – Halfords Advanced Professional 120 Piece Socket Set £160 down to £60
  • geoffj

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-120-piece-socket-set?

Well regarded by many on here.
    Can usually be had for a lot less than £160, but £60 is still a decent price for this.

fill yer boots

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Got this last year for £80 and well chuffed with it

choppersquad
    Free Member

If I didn’t already have the smaller socket set I’d buy one.
    Was really surprised at the quality which is spot on.

tom200

Ive had similar for years, can’t go wrong for that price.

craigxxl
    Free Member

After what should have been a relatively simply job of replacing a worn droplink I would disagree that you can’t go wrong at that price. Lifetime guarantee means nothing if a tool fails as you have to exchange it just to finish the job which is a real ballache.

Stoner
    Free Member

a droplink has killed many a tool though.

hot_fiat

a droplink has killed many a tool though.

Yep, usually Aldi Allen keys and cheap Indian 17mm spanners. Those sets look great.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Huh …. Your doing drop links wrong … Or im missing something. The anti roll bar drop links yes ? Clean the thread first with a wire brush apply plus gas , remove bolt using 17mm and a 6mm hex.

I could understand if you were trying to remove a steering rack from a 15 year old jeep and the torsion bars broke it but really – the drop links.

My halfords kit the 200pc has been good and withstood a beating dismantling the landy and other projects the only thing ive broken was the long 1/2 extension bar …. But then i knew i shouldnt be using it on the impact driver , i just needed the steering rack off my frontera and the breaker bar wasnt cutting it.

They still exchanged no questions after the job was complete.

How ever i dont find halfords sockets even on the cheap deals all that great value , not when you can get bahco sets with their vastly superior ratchets so cheap now.

craigxxl
    Free Member

It wasn’t the removal of the droplink that killed the tool. I’d already removed the knackered one quite easily. It was fitting the new one. Comparing the barely used 5mm hex socket to a 20 year old Bahco hex key it comes up too narrow hence why it slipped in the bolt stripping the inside out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah yes that is a bug bare and why i love the bahco sets .

I forgot and this is a big downside to halfords stuff … Bihex is the work of the devil except for very specific jobs …. Like landy caliper bolts which are actually bi hex bolts .

Bahco socks are flank drive , far superior in 99% of applications.

Just saw its the hex key that was out of spec on yours , have not seen that my self , i use mine all the time with my torque wrench and they are a good fit , not as tight as my wera hex plus keys , but tight non the less , certainly no slop

craigxxl
    Free Member

Annoyingly I have a 1/4″ Bahco and Teng 3/8″ socket sets that I forgot had 4 and 5mm hex sockets in. Instead I just grabbed what was at hand in the socket tray.
    At least I got the knackered droplink replaced. I’ll get the other side done after Christmas.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Halfords Advanced Professional 120 Piece Socket Set £160 down to £60’ is closed to new replies.