Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • [PSA] Guy Martin. Spitfires. C4. Now
  • CountZero

Such a pity that some of the effort that seems to go into building Spitfire after Spitfire isn’t spent on building up a couple of Vulcans.

Yes, I know it’s “a bit” more difficult!

Rachel
    I fully appreciate your point, and my heart agrees, but reality dictates that it’s quite possible now, as shown, to build a Spit from the ground up, and fly it, for a price that’s not beyond the reach of a moderately wealthy person, which is pretty much unique, whereas it’s difficult enough keeping XH558 flying, running costs in fuel alone are mind buggeringly horrendous!
    Instead of another Vulcan, I’d prefer to see a Victor flying alongside XH558, it’s such an amazing looking aircraft.

Northwind

P51 Mustang surely?

nickc

P51 Mustang surely?

as most successful piston engined fighter of WW2

yes

RustySpanner

I liked it.

Don’t normally like slebs presenting documentaries, but Guy Martin knows what he’s talking about and is obviously a decent, enthusiastic bloke.

If you want something (a lot) more detailed.
    The book he was flicking through is this:

It’s pretty dry – lots of wonderful recollections, but lots of technical and behind the scenes stuff too.

Duffer
    Free Member

I have some odd feeling towards the Vulcan. An interesting aircraft certainly, but one who’s only noteworthy achievement was one (admittedly long range) bombing operation, which effected practically zero significance to the Falklands conflict. It was ultimately an example of the RAF trying to invite itself to the Navy’s party.

As i said, the Vulcan is an interesting aircraft, but i think there are plenty of others with more historical significance which should be afforded preservation.

jag61

it could have gone a lot further I think James Mays giant airfix kit held more interest but GM comes across well ,could he the long lost love child of Fred Dibnah ? 8/10

petrieboy

the spitfire has a pretty special place in the heart of the nation in a “winning the war saving the day” sort of way whereas the vulcan was for dropping nuclear bombs on women and children which is quite difficult to feel warm and fuzzy about.
    still awesome tho….

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘[PSA] Guy Martin. Spitfires. C4. Now’ is closed to new replies.