Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • PSA; grandmaster flash on 6 music
  • binners

Absolutely bloody brilliant! Old school heaven! Only half an hour left unfortunately, but get it again on iplayer! He’s bonkers! But playing some fine tunes!

Drac

Ddddddon’t do it.

Merak

Not for me. Well overrated IMO.

Stiggy

Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel blew my mind when it came out and is still a fave, he was a massive innovator and I have a big ole soft spot for old school party hip hop! Cut faster!

binners

Overrated? Compared to what? Get a grip FFS!

Stiggy – get the whole thing on iplayer. It’s superb!!! Some choice old school! You’ll love it!

Merak

Frankie Knuckles, Tony De Vit, Tony Humphries…

Drac

DJ Jazzy Jeff.

jamiep
    Free Member

Lol.

Thanks for the heads up OP

binners

And would those people have ever existed if it wasn’t for people like Flash? Seriously? You think they emerged from nowhere, with no influences? Don’t be so ridiculously small minded. Just listen to it and revel in the unadulterated joy of it! 🙄

curvature
    Free Member

Goods words binners.

I thouroughly enjoyed the show!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have just bought the new Grandmaster compilation album that’s due out tomorrow, legendary stuff!

Edit, listening again now 🙂

Cheers.

klunky
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to this?

binners

There you go!

Enjoy! We stuck it on again when it finished, as we’d missed the start of it. The volume gradually went up through the course of it! Ended up having a bit of a kitchen disco! 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Did they or he make any money out of inventing Hip Hop?

I like a lot of that kind of stuff so will download it for my roadtrip in America in a few weeks, thanks for the heads up.

GregMay
    Free Member

Excellent, this should pass the first few hours of today at work 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Did they or he make any money out of inventing Hip Hop?

I don’t think you can lay the invention of hip hop on any one person but if you have to pin it down to an individual I think DJ Kool Herc has more of a claim than Flash.

hot_fiat

Well that’s Monday morning’s listening sorted. Thanks!
    <wonders if I can camtasia it to mpeg?>

scruff
    Free Member

tick.

binners

If you haven’t got it already, then this is well worth buying. The album is superb

Its Cool Herc narrating the history of Hip Hop, from Jamaican Dancehall, right through. Its a mix of cracking tunes (not just the obvious ones) and and samples of interviews with the likes of Afrika Bambaataa, Chuck D, and Ice Cube. Its a brilliant listen.

The book that accompanies it is a bloody good read too

Pigface
    Free Member

Cheers muppetWrangler every day is a school day 😆

davidjey
    Free Member

Some of the banter in between tunes was hilarious. Also I’m not sure how he got away with starting the mix the UB40 version of Red Red Wine, but somehow he pulled it off….

somafunk

Also check out John Morales, just as influential (in a background/studio kind of way)

Link to RA Exchange soundcloud page here

binners

And dropping AC/DC Back in Black was a touch of genius! 😀

Its just great to hear someone who’s clearly loving playing some brilliant tunes. I bet his club nights are epic!!!!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Is this a different one? I’m sure this was on a while back?

scruff
    Free Member

Old one didnt have UB40 or AC/DC.

So, how can I download this new mix, I remember downloading the old one.

hot_fiat

The book that accompanies it is possibly the most difficult thing to read this side of Thucydides’ History of the Peloponnesian War

FTFY

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xR-mc-Ikw[/video]

If you’re interested in origins of hip hop and have 90 minutes to spare then this is worth a watch.

Pigface
    Free Member

Same question did any of the originators make any money out of it?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Same question did any of the originators make any money out of it?

Most made a living, but nothing compared to what hip hop artists could post NWA. I guess the first artists to make what looked like a career out of hip hop were probably the Beastie Boys and Run DMC but that’s not until the mid 80’s. I can’t think of any other artists prior to them that managed international album sales or had much in the way of career longevity.

A lot of the artists prior to the mid 80’s were either one hit wonders or were really not savvy/motivated/well connected enough to exploit their talent on a big scale. Flash, Herc and the like were basically local DJ’s being paid to play records within quite a small geographical area so if anyone was making money at that time it was probably the promoters rather than the guys on the turntables.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

[/quote]scruff – Member
    Old one didnt have UB40 or AC/DC.

So, how can I download this new mix, I remember downloading the old one.

Soundcloud, Mixcloud, Tribalmixes, Mixing.dj it’ll be on one of those soon, if not already.

I dare say if you type the name of what you want and “torrent” you’ll probably come up trumps. 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Flash is fast, Bambaataa was first. This was my bible back in the 80s, collecting the lightning swords of death on import

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me no findee dat “can’t stop, won’t stop” muzak on iTunes..

Is it called something else ? All I can find is the book and I don’t want that..

binners

It was out a good few years back actually. Looking, you can’t seem to even buy the CD. I’ll MP3 the CD for you tonight bikebouy . Think I’ve already got it on my laptop. Will see if I can upload it to soundcloud or something this evening

bikebouy
    Free Member

😀

Cheers!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It’s all about StreetSounds Electro tapes 🙂

grab ya cardboard, get ya Fila tracksuit out. Hey, you, the Rock Steady Crew…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s all about StreetSounds Electro tapes

why tapes ?

I only have them on vinyl 🙁

This one has got the song that inspired Wikipedia on it…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWuAdxoiVPA[/video]

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I found it quite tricky listening to vinyl on my Aiwa personal cassette player. Tapes seemed to work better.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Who the hell was that DJ talking to Flash?

“Donald Byrd is a new one on me” – !!!

I thought you were supposed to know about music if you worked on radio 6!

edit – ahh it’s :

“Tom Robinson (born 1950) is London-based broadcaster & songwriter. His best known songs are 2-4-6-8 Motorway, Glad To Be Gay and War Baby;”

That explains it, and why his songs were so iffy…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘PSA; grandmaster flash on 6 music’ is closed to new replies.