• This topic has 29 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • PSA : Google's free Android SatNav released in the UK :)
  • fbk
    Free Member

[geek hat on]

For anyone with an Android mobile phone (Version 1.6 and higher), the Google Maps app now does voice guided turn by turn sat-nav as standard – it seems they've activated the system in the UK this morning (previously it only worked in the US).

You get directions from one place to another as normal then, once it's calculated a route, you get a "Navigate" option which, when clicked on, takes you to the 3D map view and instructions.

No upgrade needed but some may need to switch the phone off then on again.
    It's not perfect but it's free 🙂

Various stuff online about it – I just tried it on my Desire and it's all there (you don't need the "brut" hack now).

[/geek hat on]

spacemonkey

I heard the proper version wasn't going to be released in the UK …

Either way, still waiting for 2.1 to come out on the Hero (the official version, not rooted).

Until then, will have to stick with 1.5.

fbk
    Free Member

I heard the proper version wasn't going to be released in the UK …

That's what I thought but everything suddenly started working today!

spooky_b329

Hah! I just installed the BRUT hack on Monday 🙄

Does this mean I won't get 'UNNAMED ROAD' at the top of the screen, with the road name displayed on the bottom right at the same time?!

freddyg
    Free Member

Yup, I heard it was sorted on Sunday, but I didn't see it on my Desire until this morning (Still got the brut hack on though)

It works really well. Have you had a play with the layers?

The street view isn't available on the official one yet. That was quite a groovy feature of the brut hack. I'm not going to get rid of the hack until that appears on the official one.

EDIT: Yes, the unnamed road thingy disappears.

fbk
    Free Member

The street view isn't available on the official one yet

Really? Bugger – just uninstalled the brut hack too 🙄

Ah well, the rest seems to work better anyway – you get road sign details & road names, plus you get some warning before a junctions – "in … hundred yards turn….." rather then having to wait until you hit the road 🙂

scaredypants

brut hack

there's an app to make you irresistible to women ?!

defaultslipper
    Free Member

i am only days into the android experience but have been digging around on google maps. can anyone tell me how much data it uses up when using it? i am on vodafone, so there is a monthly usage of 500mb- i don't wanna be using it all up on google maps navigation.

fbk
    Free Member

brut hack

there's an app to make you irresistible to women ?!

😆

spacemonkey

i am only days into the android experience but have been digging around on google maps. can anyone tell me how much data it uses up when using it? i am on vodafone, so there is a monthly usage of 500mb- i don't wanna be using it all up on google maps navigation.

I'm on voda with the same 500mb – not sure how much Google Maps uses but I never get anyway near my allowance. Judging by the cache it can be a few mb here and there, but not much.

fbk
    Free Member

defaultslipper – not sure what the data use is like but have a search on the app store for 3gWatchdog. If you install it, it runs in the background and monitors how much data you're using each month. You can set limits after which it stops further downloads too if you like.

freddyg
    Free Member

defaultslipper – Member

I'm only two weeks into my ownership too. I've already used over 220Mb. Although most of that was because I had 6music streaming with the beebplayer for a day.

According to the Vodafone mods on the VF forum, you shouldn't worry too much about the 500Mb limit. It's not a hard limit, merely a guide. They'll only start to charge you if you are persistently using "loads". Say, peer-to-peer torrents on a PC tethered with the phone

defaultslipper
    Free Member

good work STW'ers. Will get navigating then. I had just read some reports saying it was data and battery intensive. Just wanted to make sure i don't blow over 500mb within days of joining vodafone!

fbk: does 3gwatchdog do a running data check aswell- so i could go out and use google maps for a journey and then i would be able to figure out how much data it uses? will download it a bit later anyway as it sounds a useful app to have!

fbk
    Free Member

fbk: does 3gwatchdog do a running data check aswell- so i could go out and use google maps for a journey and then i would be able to figure out how much data it uses?

It sits on the top of the screen with a little icon saying what percentage of your monthly allowance you've used. You can also run the program at any time and it gives you a full run down on what you've used – today, this week and this month.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Isn't there a data log on the phone?

stumpy01

I used the maps thing on Saturday and noticed that although it was meant to have navigation, I couldn't find it.
    Now it's there, clear to see! Excellent!

Will try it out on the way home from Thetford this evening.

fbk
    Free Member

Isn't there a data log on the phone?

I think there probably is. 3GWatchdog just makes the whole monitoring thing painless and gives you info on the home screen.

Del

app review here

these things get shinyer and shinyer. finding it hard to stay away now.

lowey

Does anyone have a confirmed date for the Hero android 2.1 update ? I see conflicting messages all over the place.

Edit…
    nvm.. looks like its june.

maxray
    Free Member

If you bring up the menu choose more.. and then About it shows you how much data you have downloaded i think.

Is the voice navigation on the standard maps? Do I need ot update the app?

Del

Max,
    think it mentions that not all features are available on previously installed versions in that review i linked, so yeah – you may need to update

maxray
    Free Member

nice one ta,

dave360

where do you get it from? I searched in the market, but its not there.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

i just went to the apps market, then selected 'top free' on the toolbar and google maps was top of the list. it isn't a new app, it is just an update. think it is only available for android 1.6 and higher, but not all phone models have been checked.

maxray
    Free Member

hmm just did the update and restarted, where do you find the voice guidance?

maxray
    Free Member

Aha! I was choosing walking, it only does it for driving :O)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Geek 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Why Thank you 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Of course I am not a geek 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Geek!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘PSA : Google's free Android SatNav released in the UK :)’ is closed to new replies.