Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • PSA: Googlemaps now has a cycling option
  • flange
    Free Member

I’m sure everyone already knows this (I didn’t) but using Googlemaps for directions they now have the function to select bike (as oppose to walk/bus/car).

Pretty handy for planning routes, its only in Beta at the moment and doesn’t seem to be on the Apps for iPhone but is available on the browser version..

That is all

edlong
    Free Member

It’s not necessarily that sensible in terms of its route choices I’ve found, but then, I’ve found its route choosing logic for driving to be a bit suspect too…

cp

yep, they’ve had it for ages 😉

Tends to force bike routes though, even if it doubles your distance & time from a -> b !!

flange
    Free Member

Try SatNav in an Audi…I’d rather flag down the local slasher and ask for directions than use it again.

Just stuck in the route I’d take from Ipswich to Lincoln and it seems pretty spot on. Be interesting to compare with my Garmin and see how different they are.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

There is also this bad boy:

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/FindCycleInput.aspx

for which thecompanyiworkfor did the surveying.

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Agreed on the pointless route choices, I usualy set it to walking then give it a quick once over to check it makes sense.

My edge 800 does navigation, but it’s not very good, it needs an option to avoid dual carrigeways.

Garmin car sat-nav is the worst though, it’s horrible compared to tom-tom. Things like not being able to tell it that there’s a road block in x-miles might sound like a minor inconvenience untill you tell it there’s a diversion, turn off the motorway, only to find it just takes you on a very convoluted detour to deposit you right back at the road block.

It treats Scotland and Wales as a seperate countrys, so to to make a trip accross the border you have to go back into the menu to change country before typing in the place name. Even if you’re only a few miles away.

No option to navigate to a generic ‘town center’, really infuriating if you’re arangeing to meet mates for a ride in some tiny village with instructions like “meet at the vilage green” because it won’t accept anything less than a street and house number.

Village with less than a few hunded inhabitants, won’t be in the database, again useless if moutinabiking in the middle of nowhere.

Find the nearest petrol, yes it’ll do that, but it won’t be in the direction you’re going, if you’ve just past one it makes you do a U-turn. Tom tom finds the one with the least detour from your route.

And I’ve lost track of the number of footpaths/rivers/clif edges it’s tried to send me allong/through/over.

Whenever I see somethign on the news about sat-nav goign wrong, i reckon it’s safe to assume it was a garmin.

andytherocketeer

It treats Scotland and Wales as a seperate countrys, so to to make a trip accross the border you have to go back into the menu to change country before typing in the place name. Even if you’re only a few miles away

Garmin SatNav?
    if so, then I call BS.

Mine handles cross border seamlessly for well basically every border in Europe, including Scotland-England border. Start typing first letters of a place name and it’ll come up with whatever matches in any country.

Reason I bought Garmin was after playing in the shop it DID have tiny places in it, unlike TomTom, which couldn’t navigate me past the nearest town several kilometers away (and even then only had main road and town centre, and no side streets/POI).

Oh and the Gmaps cycle thing has been there for quite a while (there’s a thread on here). For stuff around here, the last time I looked it was a bit limited and had lots of gaps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Googlemaps now has a cycling option’ is closed to new replies.