Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA: Giant Defy 1 2014 – £699
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Pedalon starting the 2014 sales early it seems:

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-defy-1-2014.html

2015 models only have D-Fuse seatpost, 11 speed 105 and diff wheels different. So seems well worth the £300 saving.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Great deal. Sent to a couple of friends who are holding out for a road bike deal.

mikey3
    Free Member

If I h the cash i’d go for that,but I haven’t so I wont :(.Anyone need a spare kidney?

nach
    Free Member

Argh. Was thinking about it, but they put the price up to 799 today.

mike_p
    Free Member

Still worth it at £800, I’m tempted as I sort of regret selling my 2012 model! Word to the wise: the Tektro brakes are crap, and the rear wheel weighs half a ton

snownrock

Upgrade to 105 brakes is £40 and I got Campag Khasmin wheels for £110 (2200g set down to 1700g) much nicer. This is what I did with my 2012 model anyway.

Jamie
    Free Member

Argh. Was thinking about it, but they put the price up to 799 today.

Rutland are now doing the blue/black for £699

Also have the black/red, but less sizes available.

Also, if anyone is in the market for a carbon CX bike, Pedalon are doing the TCX SLR Advanced 1 for £2k. That’s a grand off.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tektro brakes are crap,

They’re very good if you swap the pads for Kool Stop Salmons.

The stock ones are awful though, yeah.

nach
    Free Member

Rutland Cycling are now doing the same deal, 699:
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/281113/products/giant-defy-1-compact-road-bike-2014-blue-black.aspx

Looks like they’re running out of the black faster than the blue. I went for a cheaper Saracen one from them in the end, but the Defy has a much nicer spec.

Thanks for the tip on Kool Stops, chakaping!

Jamie
    Free Member

Erm…

nach
    Free Member

Oh, sorry. Completely missed your earlier post 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

Did anyone buy one of these? I’m thinking of getting one as a winter bike so wonder how good for that. I think they have mud guard mounts but can’t see one on the back – anyone fitted guards? Work ok?

MoreCashThanDash

There are fittings on the Defy 1 for Mudguards.

I got the Defy guards by Giant. Very tight for clearance on the medium frame, but worked fine yesterday on wet and muddy lanes!

Jamie
    Free Member

When I had a 2010 Defy 2, I used the Crud Guard Roadracer Mk2s, and found they worked really well.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

In fairness that’s a good price but with the new 2015 defy 1 being at £899 with 11 speed 105 and the d fuse carbon seat post. Most good shops will do 10% off meaning just over £800.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve killed too many road racer guards to bother with them again.

I am thinking of using the Giant guards so thanks for the info, if you get time to get some pics I’d appreciate it.

2015 models – yes they have dropped the prices but didn’t think I’d get a discount on those yet. If they had disc brakes on them I’d definitely want one of those.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve killed too many road racer guards to bother with them again.

Fair enough. Not sure how one kills a set, tho.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you store your bike by the front wheel /near other bikes then the guard get constantly nudged and rub/need re setting – it is a proper faf to the extent, on one ride, I stopped by a bin and physically removed them.

mudshark
    Free Member

I kill them by bits getting thrown up by the wheels which cause the whole lot to explode. Only used them on the front last year as had a race blade on the back – would have used on the front but forks too narrow for them. This year I got the aero adaptor so trying on the front too but doesn’t fit brilliantly.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Giant Defy 1 2014 – £699’ is closed to new replies.