Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 352 total)
  • PSA: Genesis Grapil Frames – Cheap
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

How would this compare to my 2010 zesty?

I am pretty sure your frame was 1 1/8″ non tapered so this would be one benefit of upgrading. It’s also bolt thru at the rear.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Thanks Martin, just wondered if the more modern geometry would make it a little more “chuckable”. I really shouldn’t even be looking!

daveh
    Free Member

Not a ‘chuckable’ bike IMO, though I did swap it for a Bandit 26 which most certainly is.

Alpha1653

Anyone else using this thread as reassurance that there’s still life in the old (26″) dog yet?! I am.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Cheers daveh. Think I’ll give it a miss then. Phew.

willej

Couldn’t resist. There goes some of my December overtime money!

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Should be fine with a 150mm fork, I have a pair of Magura Thor T150s on them, still climbs fine & doesn’t seem to upset the geo too much. If I didn’t already have one I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Dont dither though. Years ago wiggle was knocking out the purple 55RCT ti forks for £400. Loads off here bought them but I dithered.

And lost out.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/marzocchi-55-rc3-evo-v2-titanium-forks-20mm-2014/rp-prod112641

😀

mulacs

Damn it, I’ve snapped. Bought a medium/18″, hoping I got the right size… I’m 5’11 and a bit, currently ride a 17.5 Cotic Soul. I compared the geometry and they look roughly similar,m. Fingers crossed!
    Quite excited, though will have to save hard to get a new rear wheel and dropper post 🙂

timmys

How would this compare to my 2010 zesty?
    I am pretty sure your frame was 1 1/8″ non tapered so this would be one benefit of upgrading. It’s also bolt thru at the rear.

If a 2010 Zesty isn’t tapered (can’t remembered when they changed) then it is 44mm which will take a tapered fork.

Deveron53
    Free Member

The frame reminds me of my MK1 Nukeproof Mega…

zbonty

I snoozed..

20″ers all sold now 🙁

cp

Mine has arrived… got one of the ebay ones as they are from Dooleys and with warranty.

Out of the box, first impression is ‘oooooo, that’s nice!’

remoterob
    Free Member

Same here. Think it’s definitely going to need an external lower headset due to the cable routing.

kja78
    Free Member

Just had a £500 tax rebate. However I wasn’t too keen on the look I got off swmbo when I suggested I’d quite like one of these. Please tell me they’re rubbish.

Big-M
    Free Member

Purchased an 18″ for my eldest lad… he’s outgrown his small Stumpy FSR.

cp

only 16″ left now at ukbikesdepot.

thursdayshirts
    Free Member

I got one, lovely frame – cant beleive they sold them so cheap – seriusly impressed. However…. who ever designed the cable routing deserves a kick up the shunker!!!!!

Big-M
    Free Member

any idea how long delivery is taking..?

cp

When I emailed UKbikesdepot.com, they quoted something like 5-6 days.

Big-M
    Free Member

cheers, ordered mine Monday.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I did not need to see this…… I don’t have a full susser…… 😳

Big-M
    Free Member

What headsets are people fitting, I’ll be running straight 1 1/8 forks.

mulacs

Think the consensus here is that an external lower cup is best to stop the fork crown smashing the down tube.
    I’m planning a Hope lower cup H with the 1 1/8 to 1.5 crown race adapter and an Hope 2 internal top cup.
    Info here

Someone please shout if this is nonsense!

remoterob
    Free Member

The cheap option is the Nukeproof

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-warhead-44iess-headset-2014/rp-prod85842

The Hope option (twice the cost) with the adapter is probably the more future proof option if you see a tapered fork / another 44mm headtube frame in your future.

Big-M
    Free Member

Looks like Nukeproof for me 🙂

Meltdown
    Free Member

I used a superstar integrato headset for my 1 1/8th revs (150mm) it was quite cheap at around £30

remoterob
    Free Member

Would it be fairly ridiculous to angleset from the outset? Any views on this from those that have ridden one?

sing1etrack

I was also contemplating an angleset to take a degree off the headangle but don’t really want to drop the bb height. Maybe if I was fitting 150mm forks, but as I’m putting 140s on, as it was designed for I’ll most likely put a normal headset in.

willej

I’ve bought the Nukeproof 44IESS for mine. It arrived today and seems good, especially for £27. Only had CK headsets for the last 15 years so time will tell.

karnali
    Free Member

how would one of these be with a 120mm fork?

cp

Headsets – I went with one of these for 11.99 from china….

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331387705891

It’s a Neco H151S. You can specify an option for a straight steerer lower crown race. They have the shortest stack height of any ZS44/28.6 | EC44/39.8 I came across at 20.2mm.

wwaswas

rousan – reported as spam.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Would this work with some (1-1/8″ straight) dual position air Revelations at 150mm ?
    and what headset would I need ?
    Is there an integral Hope one that would work (Only because I have an inset Hope HS on the Brodie) as I`m thinking of just swapping the front end between HT and FS bikes ??

cp

yes, would be fine.

The nukeproof headset folk are on about above would work, as would the one I linked to from china if you request for a 1.1/8″ crown race.

Hope top cup number 2 and bottom cup B (which goes internal to the frame) would work for you and actually compensate for your slightly longer travel.

http://cdn.hopetechnology.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPE-HEADSET-FITTING-CHART.pdf

cr500dom
    Free Member

Thanks CP

remoterob
    Free Member

Has anyone fitted an internal lower cup and checked that the crown doesn’t foul the cables/downtube?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Mine arrived, all built up (Nukeproof headset, 1 1/8″ forks) and test ride today. Its great! cheers for the heads up OP.

It looks a bit tight for internal lower cup to me, but i didn’t give it a proper check or anything i’m afraid. I can try and measure when i’ve got more time.

cp

Pics to inspire whilst waiting for my headset???

mulacs

Any pics of built up frames yet? Still waiting on mine – should be here sometime today. I’ve got a wait to get mine built, will need rear wheel, seat post, cables etc etc. Once saved for that lot the warranty will have probably expired! 0_o

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 352 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Genesis Grapil Frames – Cheap’ is closed to new replies.