Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 352 total)
  • PSA: Genesis Grapil Frames – Cheap
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Unless a failed chainstay can cause a fall?

you’d think…

the issue is it doesnt appear to be a design issue but an manufacturing defect (insufficient weld penetration), and the fact it’s discontinued model at massive discount suggests Genesis have no faith in it* and there wont be any spares if it does fail.

*speculation in thread is it was down to streamlining brands, but youre taking a gamble on all the issues being resolved or discounted.

Which isnt to say its not tempting!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mods, please delete this thread (until pay day)

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m actually seriously tempted to buy one of these just for a spare – I’ve no real desire to replace my Hemlock, but it’s getting a bit long in the tooth now and £350 is about what I’d expect to spend on a serviceable second hand replacement.

sandwicheater

If I had some disposal cash this would be the Mrs new frame, tis a great deal.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Actuall if my appraisal goes ok on wedsneday you can put it back up then

hora
    Free Member

No warranty on the Ebay one…..?

TBH I’d go the shop-route for peace of mind in this instance.

Dont dither though. Years ago wiggle was knocking out the purple 55RCT ti forks for £400. Loads off here bought them but I dithered.

And lost out.

granny_ring

If I didn’t have numerous frames already I’d buy this from the shop not the Ebay link one.

kix12
    Free Member

Messaged the ebay seller the other day, heres the reply:
    The frame is the 2014 model and comes with full lifetime frame warranty. The listing has finished but if you wish to buy you can phone us on 0141 889 6090.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Ebay listing appears to be Dooleys Cycles, a Genesis dealer.

welshfarmer

Google that phone number and you get a shop anyway…

http://www.dooleys-cycles.co.uk/productinfo.asp?ProductID=2437

EDIT> Damn, beaten to the prize 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Who also have some very cheap 2013 Cervelos. Not that I’ve been looking…

docrobster
    Free Member

So what do people think about the 650b option?
    I sent the link to a pal at work (waves at Hugh if he’s reading) and he’s ordered one. If I’d not replaced my FS last year I would have had one too.
    He’s thinking of getting some superstar 26 wheels which seem like a bargain esp as has a soul with 26 so can swap around if needed.
    I think he’s right to not be suckered in to the 650b compatibility malarkey esp as he’s not the tallest and is getting a small frame, just wondered if anyone has or was planning on trying 650b wheels with this frame.
    Amongst our circle of riding buddies between us I can only think of one person I know who has 650b so it’s not even that easy to borrow a wheel to try for size….
    I shan’t tell him he could have got it for £20 less either!

granny_ring

I stand corrected then! £20 is £20 I guess 🙂

scruff9252

I currently have a 7/8yr old kona dawg which is a bit too small for me but I enjoy riding. How much of an improvement in climbing / less bob am I likely to see if I were to buy this newer Genesis? Help me justify a new bike to myself basically.

hora
    Free Member

For **** sake buy them. Seriously its the price of a worn out 26’er frame with knackered shock. If you don’t buy it I will even though I don’t need it. Seriously.

chakaping
    Free Member

buy it hora, just to teach them a lesson

hora
    Free Member

I’m aiming to buy a decent roadframe. Buy it chaps you can always return if you don’t like.

daveh
    Free Member

How much of an improvement in climbing / less bob am I likely to see if I were to buy this newer Genesis?

No idea but what I can tell you is the shock has quite a firm tune, I ran 30% sag and didn’t have any bob or bottoming problems.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with bushings if done right, in fact probably technically better than bearings.

granny_ring

If they have zerk grease ports though eh? 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Hora, I’ll buy yours for £175

JPR
    Free Member

its the price of a worn out 26’er frame with knackered shock

This. Very definitely this.

I’ve been tempting for a while by a full suss and now I get to try one. If I like it my old frame should sell for about that and if I don’t hopefully they’ll all sell out and I’ll be able to sell it s/h for about the same.

hora
    Free Member

Do we know a group rider who is a great person and rider but on a low salary? Can we crowd fund a great frame for him? Probably not due to abuse of goodwill but I’m willing to part-PayPal someone if someone’s identified as a clear reciepient.

Scapegoat

I rang the shop and spoke with them. The frames will be fitted with a redesigned swingarm and sold with full warranty.

Furious

Has anyone got/found a geometry chart for one of these? IIRC they can take a 140mm fork, is that right?

Scapegoat

HoratioHufnagel – Member

Geometry info here if anyone’s interested
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/img/uploads/files/genesis_cat2013_web.pdf

Anyone got one already? Be interested to know if they are now definitely fixed

hora
    Free Member

£40 from me. Others? A forum regular/pools funds receives then buys?

remoterob
    Free Member

Charity is now the group funding of something that in the grand scheme of things amounts to a fairly frivolous purchase for someone who is most likely able bodied?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

How would this compare to my 2010 zesty?

hora
    Free Member

Remoterob what if someone works hard. Does good stuff and nothing ever works out? Charity(?) Isn’t always the banner-stuff. To me charity is rewarding good people. Good people. I was on my low point and someone rewarded me. I didn’t feel worthy but very grateful.

Furious

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    Geometry info here if anyone’s interested
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/img/uploads/files/genesis_cat2013_web.pdf

Anyone got one already? Be interested to know if they are now definitely fixed

Thanks Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Don’t thank me.. Horatio had posted it on page one! 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There’s an STW review in here too http://singletrackworld.com/magarchive/issue-77/

robbonzo
    Free Member

This was designed around a 140mm fork.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Do I dont i

cp

Boom, done it.

RustyNissanPrairie

Do you think it’ll explode with a 150mm fork (Marzocci 55cr) ?

More tempted now with the updated chainsaw info.

hora
    Free Member

Its the A-C. Mazz are longer than your average 150’s nevrrmind 140’s?

martinxyz
    Free Member

I’m not seeing much of a redesign in the website image but as it was a weld penetration problem maybe they just welded them correctly second time around.

I’ve swapped one out and it looked a bit more substantial. I’d take a punt on them.

martinxyz
    Free Member

How would this compare to my 2010 zesty?

I am pretty sure your frame was 1 1/8″ non tapered so this would be one benefit of upgrading.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 352 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Genesis Grapil Frames – Cheap’ is closed to new replies.