Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PSA? Genesis Day One Alfine 853 Di2 £1200 at Rutland Cycling
  • mcj78
    Free Member

Hi all – just popped into my email box, might be tempting for someone as a tourer / commuter – 2014 model – 853 frame + Alfine D12 for £1200, seen these discounted before but not by this much, most sizes in stock – almost wish I needed a new commuter…

J

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/298933/products/genesis-2014-day-one-di2-alfine-steel-road-bike-black-red.aspx?utm_campaign=Save+45%25+on+the+Genesis+Day+One+Alfine+Di2&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=&eid=B925231455279892396428436294617

cp

almost wish I needed a new commuter…

me too!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I like that and it would be a great winter commuter, particularly at that price. But it weights 28lb before fitting pedals, guards and light, that’s a seriously heavy bike.

If was buying a new commuter I’d definitely want hydraulic brakes though.

mike_p
    Free Member

Looks good at first glance, however:

Only 8spd, cable discs, it was vastly overpriced at RRP, £1,200 buys a really good roadie or crosser

So ahm oot

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve the 2014 version. I like it. But wouldn’t bother going Di2 on it or 856. It is a heavy, if very nice, bike as it is.

julianwilson
    Free Member

That oooks bleddy lovely, but I missed the memo when shimano did di2 on hub gears. For me the selling points for di2 would have been more reliable shifting over cables, particularly with exposed cable runs, and the lovely auto-trim front derailleur. Since a selling point of hub gears would also be more reliable shifting compared to derailleurs and no front mech to need ‘trimming’ in the first place, i am not sure di2 would be worth it for me over just a really nice cable hub gear.

mcj78
    Free Member

Yeah, I checked the weight after posting it & was quite surprised how beefy it was – looked at the Alfine 8 one a few years ago before they introduced a 50cm frame, the 52cm one had a 540-odd top tube & was too big, ended up with a Charge Filter Apex from wiggle with 50% off it instead. Don’t know how much weight is in the Alfine hub & the fork as i’d imagine the frame itself to be reasonable?
    J

Gary_M
    Free Member

think an alfine hub is about 3lb

MoreCashThanDash

I’m waiting for the Day One SS Discs to be reduced, not sure if a flat 12 mile commute would be too far to SS though.

Daffy

Alfine Di2 does work better than with mechanical shift and Versa Levers.

It’s a damn good price, the alfine kit alone would be ~£700.

Daffy

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    I’m waiting for the Day One SS Discs to be reduced, not sure if a flat 12 mile commute would be too far to SS though.

A flat 12 will be fine, I used to do a hilly 10 in Cumbria on my BandWagon.

cokie

I’m waiting for the Day One SS Discs to be reduced

Just had a look. Very nice bike 🙂 !
    I’ll be keeping an eye out. Best I can find is £585 so far (w. optional 0% finance).

Bit hefty though- 11 kg or 24.2 lbs for a SS 😯

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PSA? Genesis Day One Alfine 853 Di2 £1200 at Rutland Cycling’ is closed to new replies.