Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • PSA: Garmin Edge Touring 159.99 @ Halfords
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Cheapest out there by 20 quid. Shows as 169.99 on the site then they give you a tenner off at checkout for some reason to make it 159.99.

palmer77
    Free Member

I’ve not seen this model before, how does it compare to the 800?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve not seen this model before, how does it compare to the 800?

It doesn’t.

I’ll dive into some hands-on time here in a moment, but it’s probably useful to point out that if you’re looking for an Edge 500/510/800/810 replacement, this isn’t it. This is really targeting a different (though equally as important) market: Cycling tourism.

The Touring is designed for…well…touring. As in, multi-day bike tours. These tours are incredibly popular in Europe, though in the states they are pretty limited (as in, basically none). Thus think of the Touring as a highly simplified version of the Edge 800/810. It’s not for the performance athlete. It’s for someone who simply wants to go for a casual ride and not get lost.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/garmin-touring-computer.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    avdave2

The Touring is designed for…well…touring. As in, multi-day bike tours

So well designed in fact that it doesn’t use replaceable batteries. 🙂

gogg
    Free Member

So well designed in fact that it doesn’t use replaceable batteries.

Don’t all tourers just ride from one B&B to another because they’re old?
    😉

riddoch

Or they have a dynamo hub and a usb port in the stem cap.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’ve got one, it’s pretty good if your main requirement is to enter pre-prepared routes and follow those (with turn-by-turn), or get directions to a destination (though these have to be taken with a pinch of salt, as it tries to take you offroad whatever settings you specify).

You can track your rides with it whichever of the above options, or if you are not using it for navigation, for Strava, Connect etc. uploads.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Yep, as theflatboy says.

It’s like the Garmin 800 without the training and Ant+ features and the associated price tag. If you need those features this isn’t for you.

It’s basically bike sat nav and can track your rides with the base Strava stats (speed/elev/calories/time/distance). Can load GPX files to it and follow them. It has full Europe maps and as the flatboy said it can upload to Strava with one click via USB.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Interesting, i never use the training stuff.

Anyone know if you an upload courses (tcx) files and follow them?

theflatboy
    Free Member

I use GPX track files, from ridewithgps, and it works fine with turn by turn.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Tested a gpx created from plotaroute.com yesterday and it also worked fine. Paste a link to a tcx file if you like and I’ll give it a go as I have the unit with me today.

richellicott
    Free Member

Very useful info, I was about to buy an Edge 800 but looks like I might as well save the money as I don’t use an HR monitor or any of the other ANT+ features.I’m also a member of a money saving site called Quidco so I get cash back on Halfords purchases! 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

so what does it do that say the etrex20 doesnt?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Don’t forget if you are a member of British cycling its another 10% off on top.
    Is this the package with the silicone case and extra out front mount?
    I picked one up a few months back, and its pretty good for using it as others have said, its great for plotting a route on the laptop and then following.

theflatboy
    Free Member

By the way, for those that have one and those that don’t, there is a quite recent firmware update out for the device. It appears to have sorted the problem that mine had, of occasionally crashing during particularly long rides. Definitely worth putting it on anyway, it gives a few more display options too.

Andy

Anyone know if this allows the use of OS maps via micro sd card like the older Dakota and Oregon modelsplease?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Don’t forget go-outdoors do price match +10% off too…

monkeyboyjc

Anyone know if this allows the use of OS maps via micro sd card like the older Dakota and Oregon modelsplease?

yes it does via the micro sd port – I run the full uk os maps on mine.
    its basicly a 800 or 810 without the training functions.

mines been very good over the last 4/5 months. Only criticism is the maps it come with dont have the most accurate off data (only about a third of the bridal ways in my areas), hense the upgrade to full OSmaps.
    there is a thread on here about cheap £20ish cards for these on here some where.

oh and if your a british cycling member and collect in store you can get another 10% off.

Andy

Thanks monkeyboyjc

there is a thread on here about cheap £20ish cards for these on here some where.

There is? 😕 Hmmmm

imnotamused
    Free Member

houndlegs yes this is the “special edition” with the out front mount and black silicon case which when on completely hides the white body (which I don’t particularly like but it wasn’t a dealbreaker). It also comes with the standard mounts for bars/stem.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

See thread on garmin 800 maps by flaperon, free open source OS-like map.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Is it worth getting the touring plus over the touring?
    What differences are there in the spec?

Flaperon

Only if they feel like it. They’ve refused to match other high street shops in the past in my experience.

ski99

Flaperon – Member
    Only if they feel like it. They’ve refused to match other high street shops in the past in my experience.

I managed to get them to price match – 10% against Wiggle on an Edge 800 Trail this week. That made is £236.

scandal42
    Free Member

So can someone clear something up for a total GPS newb (also a bit thick generally)

Will this model work off road on a turn by turn style basis. For example, will I die if I take it out in the lakes on a route I don’t know or will it happily guide me home using the GPX file I have selected?

Much love

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, it’ll do what you’ve asked for – almost all of them do that – the better ones (including the touring) have a map that shows under the trail so that you have a better idea where you’re going.

simon_g

Not strictly “turn by turn” as the GPX file will just be a line to follow. Still pretty obvious where to turn, even on the basic ones with no maps – on the Edge Touring you’ll have your GPX line overlaid on the map.

If you go wrong (and it will be pretty soon after going wrong) it’ll beep at you and show “off course” on the screen.

clubber
    Free Member

IME it tells you to turn when it detects a significant change of direction/turn

scandal42
    Free Member

Damn, sounds just what I need (want) I didn’t plan on spuking out £160 on a satnav but it would make me more inclined to get out into places i’m not familiar with.

Would also come in handy on a trip to the Lakes next month where I have never ridden.

richellicott
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure about spending the money either but took the plunge on Monday. Not had chance to go off road yet but I’ve used it on my commute to get to grips with it and so far so good!

Andy

Whats the screen resolution and contrast like on the Edge Tourer please?

scandal42
    Free Member

Any reason to buy this over a Etrex 20? Looks like both devices will offer navigation on a downloaded gpx route?

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Ultimately, the Edge Touring is physically an Edge 800 hardware unit (thus, has the same battery life, screen size, etc…) with different firmware on it.

Does this mean you could dump the 800 firmware on it and get a cheap 800?

imnotamused
    Free Member

PSA update: My unit is going back for a full refund in 1 hour!

I’ve taken it on 3 rides and on each ride it has crashed when I searched for a city destination, losing all my current ride stats and requiring a “Master Reset” to get it alive again.

Garmin support said I have a faulty unit that needs sending to them for a replacement. My friend also bough this same model from a different Halfords after I’d told him the price and his hangs in the same way.

I also managed to miss a turn while following a 120 mile tcx course yesterday and and hour later I realised this but the until had decided to recalculate a new way back to the start and not try and take me back to the course I was supposed to be following, resulting in us being miles off route.

Massively unimpressed with it.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Garmin Edge Touring 159.99 @ Halfords’ is closed to new replies.