Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • PSA Garmin Edge software update available to 3.6
  • Kryton57

I’ve kinda stopped fiddling with my 810 now. Seem to have found a very comfortable set of settings and pages and it’s been working fine. Loath to get rid/change and think I’ll be using it for a while longer yet (unless Garmin release an 1200 with interactive tea making facilities)

This. Mines been fine since I removed OSM. Slightly nervous that the coming v4 “strava” update will break it.

nemesis
    Free Member

You can pick up a quad core android phone for £55

Link?

A mobile phone won’t have anything like the battery life of a Garmin if you’re leaving the screen on.

stumpy01

dirtyrider – Member

no idea why people quote absurd prices

2 minute look on 1 website

Rose Bikes,

Garmin 810 – £214 inc delivery

That one’s in German, though! 😆

Joking aside, I’m almost tempted to replace my 500 with 810 for that price, just to relieve myself of the frustrating annoyances of my 500.
    Just not sure I want to buy a Garmin again – I’d prefer to give my money to a company who can do decent software with their products.

njee20
    Free Member

Have to say, now I’ve used this a couple of times it does work extremely well, and exploits the wifi-ness of the Edge 1000 brilliantly. Whilst having a crap before riding yesterday I found a few segments on my phone, ‘starred’ them, went to garage, turned on Edge, takes 10 seconds or so to update with new segments, went out for a ride.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Have to say, now I’ve used this a couple of times it does work extremely well, and exploits the wifi-ness of the Edge 1000 brilliantly. Whilst having a crap before riding yesterday I found a few segments on my phone, ‘starred’ them, went to garage, turned on Edge, takes 10 seconds or so to update with new segments, went out for a ride.

With the new software is it worth the upgrade from an Edge 800 to the 1000?

jmckee
    Free Member

Just not sure I want to buy a Garmin again – I’d prefer to give my money to a company who can do decent software with their products.

Just replaced my 800 with an 810 (broke the 800 in a fall – no other reason) but thought the bluetooth connectivity was a useful feature as I often don’t sync rides for weeks with USB on the 800.

But the key upgrade on the 810, bluetooth uploads via my phone, is totally broken. It hasn’t worked once! I’ve found a thread on the Garmin site with people complaining about this for about a year with no fix provided. Then a fix arrived, thread closed by Garmin but it doesn’t look like it fixed anything! From what I can see having checked I’m on the latest software it’s still just as broken.

Another thing I noticed is that the Calendar functionality on the garmin connect website is broken, doesn’t show the days where I’ve done a ride the way it used to.

The 810 does what I need but I totally agree with this sentiment. I’ll think long and hard before buying another Garmin in a few years when this one gives up the ghost. Selling a device to the consumer market based on features which don’t work is not the way to retain their market position.

njee20
    Free Member

With the new software is it worth the upgrade from an Edge 800 to the 1000?

Dunno, never had an 800. I always thought the 1000 was a worthwhile upgrade over the 705 it replaced, but this is very good indeed, and (IMO) significantly better than with the 810/510 where you’re relying on the flakey Bluetooth connection to get it to work.

Jmckee what’s happening? Not connecting, or what? There are two ‘levels’ of connectivity to get the full functionality, the BLE to get call alerts and stuff is a bit ropey and always has been.

bol

My 1000 automatically updated and appears to have bricked itself on the installation. Gets to “78” and then stalls. Hard resetting doesn’t seem to help as it just automatically restarts the installation. Any ideas before I take it back to the shop?

jmckee
    Free Member

njee20 – the auto upload didn’t seem to be working from the app. I read somewhere that this causes problems so I turned it off but even manually selecting the ride on the device, clicking the upload I was getting failures uploading the ride from my 810 to my phone when I clicked save.

Need to play with this a bit more and see what works and what doesn’t but it hasn’t been seamless so far.

And looking at Garmin connect, I’m not sure the new layout is an improvement but breaking the calendar really frustrates me when reviewing rides and when I switch to classic view it’s broken there as well.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thread resurrected !!

I know we had a thread about the software update to 4.2 on the 810 and we all pilled in there too, however this thread is a bit bigger and I’ve some more news.

So, upgraded to 4.20 on my Edge 810. Went fine for a few rides and then crashed on a long distance one when coming to the end of the ride to save it. Not normally an issue, happened a couple of times and honestly never been bothered about it, just shrugged. This time though it was a particular ride I do when in Harrogateshire/North Dales and I wanted to record my effort to see/gauge fitness etc.
    So, so I took the decision to upgrade to an Edge 1000 and bought it the other day. Upgraded the software to 5.00 last night and look forward to riding this weekend with it, fingers crossed it’ll go well and I expect it too to. Setup my profiles and will tonight set the home screen with my mobile number on it in case I loose it.

Just thought I’d share that.

legend
    Free Member

Never has replacing one Garmin with another been a solution to any of life’s problems 😉

v666ern
    Free Member

So, upgraded to 4.20 on my Edge 810. Went fine for a few rides and then crashed on a long distance one when coming to the end of the ride to save it. Not normally an issue, happened a couple of times and honestly never been bothered about it, just shrugged. This time though it was a particular ride I do when in Harrogateshire/North Dales and I wanted to record my effort to see/gauge fitness etc.
    So, so I took the decision to upgrade to an Edge 1000 and bought it the other day. Upgraded the software to 5.00 last night and look forward to riding this weekend with it, fingers crossed it’ll go well and I expect it too to. Setup my profiles and will tonight set the home screen with my mobile number on it in case I loose it.

Just thought I’d share that.

ah all that effort for the same dodgy software to fail in the same way, still nice screen though

Never has replacing one Garmin with another been a solution to any of life’s problems

+1

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘PSA Garmin Edge software update available to 3.6’ is closed to new replies.