Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • PSA : Garmin 800 Performance Bundle £210 on Amazon
  • bikemanspen
    Free Member

How do you guys get these free maps onto your garmins? I got an 810 for Christmas but a week before chrimbo our laptop broke down. So I’m stuck atm! (whilst laptops being fixed)
    The 810 is just the base model with no added maps?
    Help!!!

bails

Bikemanspen: read this http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

download onto non-broken laptop, transfer from laptop onto micro SD card, put micro SD card in unit, choose downloaded map in map menu. Done.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

Ok so I have to put the maps onto a micro sd card (not via wire) before they show up on my 810?
    If so I’ll need a micro sd! Is it worth buying one off eBay with the maps already on?
    Sorry for the all the questions,I’m not great with tech…

johnnystorm

Get proper OS Garmin maps from ioffer for £20

http://www.ioffer.com/i/garmin-discoverer-the-norfolk-broads-1-25k-on-micro-sd-563341781

This seller has all the uk for £23 at 1:50k. Arrives sealed in a Garmin packet. Plug & play. 🙂

bikemanspen
    Free Member

Yeah it’s looks good I’m looking at the gb discover for £21 1.50k would that be suitable for my roadbike around the uk?

boblo
    Free Member

Hmmm, £200 from Garmin, £20 from ioffer. Wonder what the catch is….?

zilog6128

They are obviously counterfeit?

convert

According to talk toaster guy he has put his ‘look n feel’ 1:50,000 maps behind a pay wall as they are appearing on ebay as ‘genuine’ garmin discover maps – would hazard a guess that’s what these ones are.

I’ve played with his free maps (navigable and with contours) and on the little garmin screen it’s not doing much for me – just very messy with too much clutter. I might go back to the standard garmin maps on the road and think again for off road.

Have to say, slightly underwhelmed by the 810 at the moment….

allthepies
    Free Member

Have you looked at http://openmtbmap.org/ ?

tpbiker
    Free Member

grrrrr just went to buy this from wiggle and surprise surprise all sold out. Amazon now up to 268. Anywhere else have em cheap?

They have the standard version available however, without the heartrate kit and cadence senser. Will my exsiting garmin HRM strap from the 305 forerunner I just lost work with this does anyone know?

boblo
    Free Member

The 810 will ‘come alive’ <sigh> with proper mapping. If it’s anything like the 705 (which I still have), the base map is rubbish and the machine only became useful with a proper map. I use Garmin’s own, both Topo and City Nav maps. My 705 doesn’t take the newer OS stuff so can’t comment on that.

Suffice to say, I was pretty disappointed to find my new GPS was all but unusable until I’d installed some decent maps in it. Tosseurs…

boblo
    Free Member

Wiggle have the NOH units for £209. You could buy the cadence and HR straps for ~£50 then you have the lot…

tpbiker
    Free Member

would my exisitng garmin HRM work ? Not fussed about a cadence sensor

allthepies
    Free Member

The 705 will take the OSM maps though and these are excellent.

boblo
    Free Member

I’m *pretty* sure it would… I think Garmin have only had two styles of HRM strap in the past ~8 years. I’ve had/got both and they work with my 705 (which uses the same strap as the 800). Have a look ay Handtech. They have pics of both types and sell the 800 for about £220 (and have stock).

exupmonkey
    Free Member

My Garmin ‘Bundle’ arrived this morning from Wiggle. Unfortunately the ‘Bundle’ was less than advertised as there was no heart rate monitor or cadence sensor in the box :?. And so the customer service email trail begins, what a PIA 👿

johnnystorm

The ioffer maps come sealed with a Garmin sticker, the sort that peels off to reveal a “void if opened” message underneath. If they are copies they are very good, perfectly functional ones.

Junkyard
    Free Member

are they actual OS maps though as in ones I would recognise as OS or some sort of freeware stuff?

johnnystorm

The ioffermaps are definately NOT the talkytoaster maps. I’m using the talkytoaster ones on an old Garmin GPS62. The talkytoaster are good, but if you’re used to OS maps they aren’t as good.

johnnystorm

Just so we are clear on this. 😉

The ioffer maps are OS maps. The same look, appearance, symbols, layout, etc as the paper maps.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

My Garmin ‘Bundle’ arrived this morning from Wiggle. Unfortunately the ‘Bundle’ was less than advertised as there was no heart rate monitor or cadence sensor in the box :?. And so the customer service email trail begins, what a PIA

gutting, mine arrived yesterday (along with the 500 I bought) and it is the as-advertised bundle. Already installed my talkytoaster maps that I’d downloaded (free, a while ago) for my Etrex, and got the HRM and cadence meters synced (I think!).

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Well Wiggle have just gone down in my estimation. Just had an email cancelling my order for the NOH bundle saying that there was an error in the description. Could have ordered from Amazon if they’d have told me sooner.

ackie
    Free Member

I was really looking forward to some post New Year GPS tinkering and then I received this

Due to an incorrect product description the Garmin NOH Edge 800 GPS Performance Bundle you ordered has been removed from our range and your order has unfortunately now been cancelled as per our Terms & Conditions.

Bah Humbug Wiggle
    They have listed it as the Performance bundle with the HRM and cadence sensor not a stand alone unit.
    What did someone say “too good to true….”

I’ve got myself so fired up over this that I am going buy one anyway.
    What is the next best deal out there?

cozz
    Free Member

well ive ordered the bundle from amazon, but 2 week delivery

and one of those garmin maps from ioffer, so will see, gotta be worth a punt

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Well Wiggle have just gone down in my estimation. Just had an email cancelling my order for the NOH bundle saying that there was an error in the description. Could have ordered from Amazon if they’d have told me sooner.

I have been asked to return the Garmin for a full refund but I’ve declined at present. All I want is the heart rate monitor (as descibed in the advert) and their website shows 10 plus in stock but they are refusing to send me one (apparently the website is also wrong!). My case has been lodged and I’m awaiting a further response to go with the several other ones I already have which effectively say f*ck off!
    I don’t hold out much hope.

riddoch

Was Amazon price matching the wiggle deal?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

iOffer Maps are brilliant best £20 Ive spent

exupmonkey
    Free Member

As far as I recall,yes, @ £209.99

Vortexracing

iOffer Maps are brilliant best £20 Ive spent

I just got the Garmin Etrex 20 deal.

I’m assuming the iOffer 1:50 maps will do for that unit as well?

was it the 1:50 full UK you got Bigface0 0?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ok so I have to put the maps onto a micro sd card (not via wire) before they show up on my 810?

you can transfer by a cable but it takes forever, and if its on the unit’s memory it fills most of it (IIRC talkytoaster map is 500mb and 800 has 700mb memory?). It takes minutes to write to a micro SD card and the map sits on the card not slowing the device down.

not really – the amazon deal was genuine 😉 and not for a refurbished unit. Given Wiggle were selling refurbed 800s with mapping for £279, getting the performance bundle for £209 was always suspect.

I’m assuming the iOffer 1:50 maps will do for that unit as well?

if its a genuine Garmin map then no it won’t, each will only work on one unit (ie. you’d have to buy a second ioffer map for the Etrex). If they are dubiously bootlegged, or repackaged open-source map, then yes they probably will.

Do let us know how you get on!

riddoch

Amazon normally match the lowest online price, if wriggle were listing the performance bundle at that price Amazon could have matched it by accident.

riddoch

Garmin have two methods of locking their maps, either to the SD card or to unit. If the ioffer is the same as the bundled maps they will be locked to the SD card and transferable between units.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Garmin have two methods of locking their maps, either to the SD card or to unit. If the ioffer is the same as the bundled maps they will be locked to the SD card and transferable between units.

hmmm. Buddy has an Edge 800 and a second Garmin, his SD-mounted genuine Garmin map wouldnt work in his second device or in my Etrex20. Is it possible to download a pre-installed map from a unit onto an SD card (ie. this is what my buddy did when I’d assumed it was a Garmin SD card?).

riddoch

The download map is locked to a specific unit once it’s installed. The map on the SD card is locked to that specific SD card, you can copy the map files but unless they are on the correct SD card they won’t work. Each SD card and unit has a unique ID number so the maps will have that built into the file. Many years ago it was in plan text so you could open up the file in text editor and change the number so you could use it on a different card or you changed the ID of the SD card to match the original.
    What’s also annoying is that they ship the 1:50k maps on an SD cards just large enough to hold them so you can’t put any other maps on the card.

zilog6128

The ioffer maps claim to be “unlocked” (unlike ones you buy from Garmin) so they are obviously dodgy (if the ridiculously low price wasn’t enough of a giveaway). Might as well save yourself £20 and torrent them as they will be just as legit (plus you’re not lining the pockets of some del-boy). Or, you know, buy them legally.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Ok, my situation is now resolved. Wiggle giving me a credit note for £30 and I keep the unit. Happy with that as I never needed the cadence sensor and the heart rate monitor would probably have spent most of its life in the box anyway. Happy New Year all. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

buy them legally.

For £40 I probably would at that price I wont be purchasing them

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

riddoch, thanks for explanations.

variflex
    Free Member

My Amazon purchased unit turned up today, with everything as per advertised. HR monitor, cadence sensor and main units. I have bought a cheap 4GB Mini SD card and in the middle of downloading the free OSM maps as per this sites recommendation:

http://www.forgot.co.uk/edge-800/

I will only be using mine for road riding so dont need trail maps. I Prefer to use a watch for MTB as I dont need navigation….too busy looking at the trail in front, and even doing that I still go over the bars.. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘PSA : Garmin 800 Performance Bundle £210 on Amazon’ is closed to new replies.