Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • PSA: Fox Kashima RP23 190X51 £138 on CRC
  • neiloxford
    Free Member

Mine arrived today, high volume though, will this work well on a turner 5 spot dw with me weighing 90kg

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

If you are using it on a DW link bike you will need to get it retuned to a low compression tune.

jam-bo

hmm. ordered mine fri am when they were still showing as 300 odd in stock and my order is stuck as processing…

anyone else?

campfreddie
    Free Member

mine has just been dispatched… a little slower than usual

they’ve obviously been busy out the back unbolting them from various unsold frames… takes time you know!

shifter
    Free Member

To save time they might as well send the whole frame. The box’ll be big enough anyway!

jimr80
    Free Member

After posting that i had ordered the rp23 i received an email form a forum member as follows,

“I ordered one for my 5 spot. I thought loco tune was great price so wondered if tf did similar deal. Phoned tf who told me not to bother. Technician said all the talking of low/low is exaggerated on rp23 as difference in tune between middle and low was negligible. He said the difference was so slight that the importers are only bringing in medium tunes this year. I pointed out all turner threads went on about it but he said to ignore them. Talked me out of spending money with them so pretty honest of him. Didn’t want to start a stw argument about it by posting but thought I would let you know.”

Now i’m not trying too stir things , but if this is correct then theres no need to bother getting them re-tuned.

Loco , can you shed any more light on this?

neiloxford
    Free Member

This is direct from Turner on the MTBR website…

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/rear-shock-question-799887.html#post9479915

campfreddie
    Free Member

do bear in mind that the kashima coating makes a difference over and above the regular rp23 which means that the tune should also be slightly different (too thick to work out how, but the coating is more slippery)

BillyBull
    Free Member

Oh well seeing as its started I will put my hands up to this as I called them. I am going to try sticking with medium and see how it goes on 5 spot. Interestingly, while not the same advice I passed on, I did find this which backs up campfreddie’s comment. Differs from there being not much difference though.

http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/rear-shocks/product/review-fox-float-rp23-adaptive-logic-boost-valve-rear-shock-12-45178

neiloxford
    Free Member

Seems the high volume version is all good for the 5 spot according to Mr Weagle 🙂

http://dw-link.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/dw-link-turner-damper-testing.html

The 5-Spot is a uniquely cool dw-link trail bike. It was really designed to use the XV RP23, which in the 190mmX51mm size features a very low air spring compression ratio. We designed a bit of ramp into the wheel rate, and the leverage rate stays progressive throughout the travel. This makes the suspension really compliant early in the travel, with a little spring ramp in the end and a nice controlled damped feel at the end of the travel. It hooked up hard in the corners and soaked up the little drops around the trail with ease. We preferred the Propedal off for all conditions, even for standing climbs. Like the other bikes, real mashers could use setting 1 for the standing climbs, and settings 2 and 3 should probably be avoided. I am looking forward to testing this bike with a coil-over shock, I think that it is going to really work out nicely.

LoCo
    Free Member

Don’t actually remember saying that the Turners have to have a low low tune for the DW equipped models 😕
    The fox tunes as specced are a guideline to what level of tune they are, when we carry out a tune it’s not simply that we go low/med, high/med etc we’ll look at each of the circuits individually (several in both the rebound and compression systems) along with the air volume of the shock, boost pressure and how it works with rider’s weight and the linkage/suspension system fitted to the bike.
    If the phantom emailer had asked I would have answered the question 😉

BillyBull
    Free Member

Loco you didn’t but a few others have in this thread in respect of 5 spots. Appears to be the common perception on 5 spot threads. I also thought that was true having looked at all the shock threads for 5 spot owners. Turns out its not as simple as that then.

BrickMan

Yeah I just dumped £175 on getting my bust 200×51 rp23 regassed and new air can, literally 3 weeks ago after holding off for 6months hoping a mega deal like this would come up.

Bought one anyway, and it even comes with teh right bushs for my marin and high volume can (a must on any 6″+ bike), will keep it as a spare, as even a basic regass at mojo is the same price as the shock I’ve just bought.

jimr80
    Free Member

Loco,

sorry,no suggestion as to anything said. Just after an opinion as i know your well respected and would think twice of doing anything if it was not needed . I’ll email you direct.

Superficial
    Free Member

high volume can (a must on any 6″+ bike)

A high volume can isn’t a ‘must’ on ANY 6″ bike at all. If the leverage curve doesn’t match the volume of the shock, it’ll feel all wrong. It completely depends on the design of the frame / linkage and what you want from the shock.

Swapping a normal volume air can that works well for a high volume one will result in a more linear stroke – I.e. you’ll either blow through the travel vs terrible small bump sensitivity (depending on how much air you put in).

Now, if your bike was specced with the wrong shock in the first place that’s a different matter. My experience with high volume cans – it’s very easy to mess up the way the bike feels. I’m sure they work for some people/setups, of course.

LoCo
    Free Member

No need to swap air cans, as air volume spacers are now available, although there are two different kinds as the CTD have different spec internals on some models.

drew

Just taken delivery of a shiny new kashima shock complete with correct top hats for my frame. Nice one OP.

wrecker
    Free Member

Loco you didn’t but a few others have in this thread in respect of 5 spots. Appears to be the common perception on 5 spot threads. I also thought that was true having looked at all the shock threads for 5 spot owners. Turns out its not as simple as that then.

In all fairness, these comments are based on Turners’ recommendations;

Our shocks come custom tuned from Fox Shox for our bikes specifically, which has a very low- compression and low- rebound setting. This is crucial for the dw-link to perform to its fullest which is why we opted to spec our bikes with the FOX RL. If you choose the FOX RP23 option we suggest to not use the Pro- Pedal feature on your shock, or at the minimum only use the lightest (1) setting. With the dw-link, this feature should only be used on very smooth trails or while commuting on pavement to the trail head.

Link;
    http://www.turnerbikes.com/all-turner-faqs/turnertech/turner-air-shock-setup

campfreddie
    Free Member

mine arrived this morning

6 x 21.8mm reducers (as required for the 5-spot)
    M-rebound tune
    M-velocity tune
    200-BV tune

deanfbm
    Free Member

a must on any 6″+ bike if you use it for xc and trail centre mincing and think you have to use all the travel to get your “moneys worth”

Fixed 🙂

Though, to be fair it is kind of required on DH bikes, particularly as they tend to be progressive in nature, this combined with the longer stroke.

campfreddie
    Free Member

just had an email from Greg @ Turner. for those of us with Horst 5-Spots, medium-medium tune is bang on. The questionable hysteria about the need for low-low tunes is a dw-link thing.

granny_ring

Good news camp ta

BillyBull
    Free Member

I am going to test mine properly tomorrow on the DW 5 spot. But even locally the difference from the old RP23 is noticeable. Still need to dial it in correctly but it is buttery smooth. I don’t think the medium is going to cause me any problems by the looks of it. What a bargain.

greeble
    Free Member

got mine and fitted to my trance 😀 very happy

shifter
    Free Member

Non-Kashima tight wad here: RP23 to replace the DT Swiss on my Helius and RP2 to replace the humble Float R on my Prophet. £215 for the pair!
    Thanks OP 🙂

greeble
    Free Member

ebay has had a sudden influx of 190mm shocks for sale this weekend :mrgreen:

granny_ring

and on here 🙂

shifter
    Free Member

Anyone get 24 x 6 hardware? Swap for 22 x 8?

matthew2456
    Free Member

If anyone has one that they no longer need please let me know!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

If anyone has a 190×51 that will fit an Orange 5 that they have not used please get in touch.

Moseydo@hotmail.co.uk

steel4real
    Free Member

Mosey – YGM

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Fox Kashima RP23 190X51 £138 on CRC’ is closed to new replies.