Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • PSA for XC racers (and any other racer)
  • MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Root & rain the website for DH to compare run times, result history etc and place for photos are NOW DOING XC results!
    think bit more work in progress but great website for comparing times etc

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Noticed this the other day, cool to see. He was asking for feedback on Facebook how we’d like to see times compared between elite/expert and other categories today too. Excellent site!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best one I’ve used, just have to remember to mail up the Oz results every so often. The photo link was the best thing though. Community tagging of pics by number and by about Tuesday morning you get all the pics of you in one place from a weekend.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

yes I saw that (about 30 min ago) hence the post hopefully they might get back a bit more feed back.

Kryton57

What does “spread” mean?

Northwind

Excellent… RNR is brilliant for photos too, I like a photo of me looking gnar and or sick but who can be bothered going through 10000 snaps?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Great website and very well run.

njee20
    Free Member

That is good! Doesn’t do southern XC races yet though, I’ve only got national results, does go back to last year though which is quite good. Be interesting as a wider database is built up.

downhiller

Fellow ‘dwarf fan: On a race result page “spread” is the variance of lap times. I.e. a lower number means the rider was more consistent in the race.

njee20: The XC database is pretty limited at the moment; I didn’t want to go live with XC stuff until I’d built up a good back-history, but my hand was forced by a couple of photographers who wanted to showcase their Nutcracker & Scottish shots last week. I’ll be adding Southerns in today hopefully!

If you go to your profile page you’ll notice an “Alerts” tab – sign up there to get an email notification when I add new races to your profile.

Any feedback/criticisms/feature requests appreciated!

Seb Frost
    http://www.rootsandrain.com

njee20
    Free Member

Very good, I look forward to seeing more of my really shit results appearing in due course. Indeed the first Southern has now appeared!

I guess some of the metrics aren’t as relevant for XC (ideally best run would be best lap I guess, or just ‘race time’), but I think it’s a really good resource.

downhiller

Indeed, the site is geared towards DH mainly at the moment, but I’ll be steadily making improvements on how Enduro & XC races/riders are handled and displayed.

njee20
    Free Member

Out of interest, how do the photos work? Do photographers upload them with the race number somehow ‘tagged’ and they get matched?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Looks interesting.

Am I correct in thinking that the number in brackets after your lap time is your position for that lap?

njee20
    Free Member

Fastest time of the day doesn’t work either, unless you do it for a single full lap (and be aware that a lot of the under-10/12 races use a short lap) – as obviously anyone who raced in the shorter categories comes out far better.

I can see me wasting a lot of time on there though!

kimbers

You or your mates have to tag your own pics

You can also upload any pics you took of others and they can buy them off you

Its a great site for checking out your rivals/ mates stats as well as your own

akak
    Free Member

Good stuff there are loads of photographers at xc races just need to get the word out to them.

downhiller

notmyrealname: the numbers in brackets simply state how that individual lap ranks agains everyone else’s; I appreciate that position at the line on that lap might be of more interest?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Kimbers the best bit of the site is being able to compare your past results with your mate/rivals:
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/compare.html?i=31690×4370

downhiller

njee: regarding fastest time of the day, that was certainly true yesterday. A typical elite racer’s graph would show them as being “700%” off of the fastest time, due to a kid racing a 10 minute race. I believe I’ve fixed that now though, let me know if any races appear wrong on the graphs?

It’s a bit awkward though for me; when the u9-u12s are doing 3 minute laps it’s very obvious that it’s a shortened course. But how often are there less obvious cases? Or do all “proper” categories (juvenile & up) race identical courses at most/all races?

downhiller

As for photo tagging, it’s a misconception that only you or your friends can tag. The key USP of the site regarding photos is that I have the results there. So *anyone* can look at a photo, see place “213” in it, tap “213” into the box and it’ll automatically come up with the correct name of whoever was racing under that plate number at that race.

So anyone can tag any photo, and as such they all tend to get tagged quite quickly as a community effort. The photographers themselves are encouraged to tag as many of their own photos as they can (early tagging improves their sales), but realistically not everyone always has the time. So the community (and myself) help out and supplement the tagging prosess.

njee20
    Free Member

I believe I’ve fixed that now though, let me know if any races appear wrong on the graphs?

The Southern XC R1, shows 7:30 as the fastest time of the day, and NPS XC1 from last year shows it as 35:27 – presumably total race times in both instances?

Personally I think the numbers in brackets to show fastest laps on each lap is very interesting, moreso than position on that lap.

Or do all “proper” categories (juvenile & up) race identical courses at most/all races?

Yep, not aware of any XC race where anyone of Juvenile or above does anything but the full course.

DT78
    Free Member

Ooo this looks useful. Any chance the gorrick races will be on there? Would be cool if the older races are put up there.

Btw how does it handle riders with the same name and nationality. Just did a search for my buddy, and got a match but it’s appears to be another chap, as I know he doesn’t race dh.

downhiller

Ah you mean on this page njee?
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/series564/2015-pedalon-southern-xc/

Fair enough, that is something I do need to fix. I guess I’ll change it from “FTD” to “Winning Elite” time (or Expert at races without an Elite category, etc).

downhiller

DT78: The most recent Gorricks are on there (I used to race them myself back in the day when I lived in Guildford!):
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/organiser210/gorrick/

I’ll be adding to the race history as time goes on; go to the “Alerts” tab on your rider page to get an email alert when I add a new race that you’ve done.

How does it cope with multiple riders etc… the code works it out a bit, based on name variations (e.g. Dave vs David), Sponsors, geography, and race category. It’s far from perfect and something I need to work on more, especially now I’ve added a new race discipline with 10s of thousands of new racers!

If there’s two people with identical names and nationalities I tend to separate them with a note in brackets after their name; e.g. “David JONES (mas)”. If they’re both in Master they’d become (1) and (2). Etc.

kimbers

scottfitz – Member
    Kimbers the best bit of the site is being able to compare your past results with your mate/rivals:

right that graph needs sorting out I cant do the fod enduro but next race, im having ya!

DT78
    Free Member

Great to hear gorricks will be on there, haven’t raced this years xc but have raced the last BM series, torq and bbd. Mate and I would often sit in the pub with a bit of beer mat working out differences in lap times. Looks like we will be using this site from now on.

Kryton57

What this has enabled me to see is this:

Rider A: 20:13 (42) 19:44 (41) 20:10 (41) 20:04 (38) 21:00 (39)

Rider B: 19:26 (37) 19:17 (39) 19:21 (34) 19:54 (36) 21:09 (40)

Where rider B is me – how exactly have I been ranked behind rider A, when cumalatively I was faster? On Timelaps site I’m correctly represented 5 places above Rider A – so on here are the finishers below the points scorer’s just listed in random order?

Northwind

The photo tagging is brilliant- met someone at a bunch of races, chatted with them, no idea what their name is, too embarassed to ask? Look em up on RNR. Yes I have done this for people on here 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Great to hear gorricks will be on there, haven’t raced this years xc but have raced the last BM series, torq and bbd

I imagine that including endurance stuff like all of those is a whole extra step though – it’s not really comparable to XC racing, so does the accuracy of a load of the metrics become a bit pointless?

downhiller

Kryton: you’re correct in that at the moment the site only ranks people who completed the full race distance. I’ll be amend!ing that later today hopefully, sorry for the confusion!

Kryton57

No worries, I just wondered whether I missed something. Despite not scoring and then the many variables involved I do like to see where I’m placing throughout the year and year on year for development.

Liking it though!

scottfitz
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

scottfitz – Member

right that graph needs sorting out I cant do the fod enduro but next race, im having ya!
    Rogate on sunday 😉

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I like the idea of it automatically producing “overall” results as this is something Time Laps doesnt do.

However it need to group correctly.

Ie group all 3 laps races, group all 4 laps races.

At the moment (almost) any one doing a 2 lap race is placed ahead of a 3 lap category etc etc

downhiller

“I like the idea of it automatically producing “overall” results as this is something Time Laps doesnt do.

However it need to group correctly.

Ie group all 3 laps races, group all 4 laps races.

At the moment (almost) any one doing a 2 lap race is placed ahead of a 3 lap category etc etc”

Yep, that’s also planned for today. Busy day! Like I say, I wasn’t planning on going live with XC stuff just yet, so it’s a bit of firefighting at the moment to get everything done!

downhiller

2014 Pedalon Southern XC results added…

njee20
    Free Member

I need to stop looking at this, it’s making for incredibly depressing reading! Any chance you can go back to 2007 or so, when I was fast? 😉

downhiller

All paypal donations/bribes willingly accepted to payments@rootsandrain.com 😉

Kryton57

njee20 – Member
    I need to stop looking at this, it’s making for incredibly depressing reading! Any chance you can go back to 2007 or so, when I was fast?

And here I am wishing I was as fast as you are in 2015…

njee20
    Free Member

Haha, you’re probably not far off based on current performances! Of the 5 listed on R&R my best is the 74th percentile! 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘PSA for XC racers (and any other racer)’ is closed to new replies.