Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • PSA for the Zwift curious – smart trainer under 200 quid…
  • TheFopster
    Free Member

I’ve just jumped on the Zwift bandwagon in an attempt to get some exercise with busy work schedule/dark nights. I bought an Elite Intera from Decathlon – with a 12 quid USB dongle it connected first go to my cheap laptop and I have full smart trainer functionality for a pretty decent price. And they are now on sale for 180 notes. If you’re dithering getting a smart trainer due to the cost, this seems the cheapest way in without doing the legwork to find a second hand bargain. Recommended if you want a basic smart trainer with automatic resistance settings…

whatgoesup

Watching with interest… having accepted that indoor training is a necessary evil for the next few months.

Are these good quality? Asking as the Tacx model at a similar price point seemed to have some reliability / robustness question marks.

fossy

Been using the Tacx Flow T2240 with Zwift for almost 2 years. No problems with it.

moonboy
    Free Member

also interested, is it fully smart, alters the resistance automatically?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Can’t comment on smart trainers but my ‘dumb’ elite trainer has been reliable and seems well built.

fooman

This looks identical to the Elite Novo Smart at Halfords, which you can get 10% cheaper with British Cycling. Does the Elite Intera come with a front wheel support? The Novo doesn’t though they are pretty cheap.

Worth noting while they are sold as Zwift compatible you have to use an Ant+ dongle, Zwift doesn’t control resistance over Bluetooth, it can only read the power this way. But yes set up right it will control resistance.

BTW as far as I can work out they are the Elite Qubo resistance unit in an Elite Rampa frame.

I tested it back to back with the Halfords Tacx Flow (again with an Ant+ dongle as Bluetooth dropped out a lot) and they are very similar but the main difference is the changes in resistance are more gradual on the Elite while on the Tacx it changed in steps, making the Elite feel a bit more natural. Also, while they are both spec’d to simulate 6% gradient, the Elite can absorb more power, and on a steeper climb it certainly feels harder if you want more of a work out.

Tacx positives it’s nicely designed, folds away better and includes a wheel support. They are both good budget options.

whatgoesup

Forman – great info thanks.

Hmmmm – Halfords with 10% BC discount and then paid for via my works discount voucher scheme (another 10%off) makes it £145 – starting to get affordable.

downhillfast
    Free Member

That’s a pretty good deal.
    I’m using a Tacx 2240 from Hellfrauds. 2nd one as the first had terminal problems after a years use (but replaced free by Halfords under Tacx warranty).

rmgvtec
    Free Member

Had my t2240 for a couple of months now and would recommend it to anyone looking for a wheel-on turbo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘PSA for the Zwift curious – smart trainer under 200 quid…’ is closed to new replies.