Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • PSA for Marple / Strines area riders: ANOTHER Trail closure warning
  • nbt

After the piss-poor job of “fixing” the wreckage caused by storms and poor construction the last time this lot was rebuilt, Stockport Council is once again going to close the valley bottom track from Windy Bottom Farm all the way to “Capri farm” (aka Greenclough Farm), as well as the descent known as “Strawberry” (Strawberry Hill is actually on the other side of the railway )

This is the thread from the last time it was closed

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-for-marple-strines-are-riders-trail-closure-warning

More info on Stockport’s website

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/roadworks-closures-diversions/public-footpath-closures

Bridleways 161 (between Strines Road and Roman Bridge ), 159 (between Windybottom Farm and The Shielan) and 158 (between Greenclough Farm and Windybottom Farm, Marple) are all going to be closed.

That means the descent through the golf course will be shut, just when it was getting into really nice condition. Fox Inn or Linnet’s Clough will be the only descents that remain open

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Bah!

nbt

Well, I just discovered something I didn’t know! From Roman Bridge, I’ve always followed the bridleway that runs between the two houses when climbing, and mostly when descending. I’ve occasionally descended the cheeky footpath (Apple Trees) that zigzags steeply down from a narrow entrance on Strines Road.

Turns out that Apple Trees is actually a bridleway. Well, not sure how much fun it’ll be when they rebuild it, but it was always a very tricky descent, can’t say I ever cleaned it anyway

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/stockport-public-rights-of-way/prow-map

Esme
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads-up, nbt!
    Although those orders were issued in July, for a six month period, so the work might now be completed.
    So could you just pop out, please, and check if they’ve been re-opened yet? 😉

nbt

The notices have only gone up recently in the actual area. We rode there at the weekend and saw nothing, but I got a text from Bunnyhop this morning as she went out for a walk round there. The trails in question have all be really badly damaged by water (and heavily increased numbers of horse riders) over the past few months

Esme
    Free Member

Thanks for this information, Bunnyhop!

Bunnyhop

Esme – you’re welcome.

I stopped 1 mtber who had no idea of the closures, thus having to completely change his route.

nbt – well I never (apple tree) being a bridleway. You could never get a horse through that gap.

Esme – the council have completely covered the ‘Lily Bank’ trail from the golf course to the Sandy track in tarmac. 😯

wiganer
    Free Member

I rode the path from Roman lakes to strines past both of those farms two weeks ago and saw the signs at the bottom of strawberry hill descent, but ignored it as they’d expired. Was in no worse state than it’s been in the last 7 years I’ve been riding it, and certainly wasn’t closed. Crack on.

Bunnyhop

Wiganer – it was definitely closed today because the workmen were beavering away with heavy machinery.
    Guessing you could sneak by at night. Or when they’re on a coffee break.

scaled
    Free Member

*gets the cross bike ready for a 40mph strawberry motorway KOM attempt*

beagle
    Free Member

Thanks for this. Appreciated!

Could you explain again the lily bank trail – and exactly where they are laying tarmac. Apols if I’m being a tad slow! Is this from the straight trail alongside the golf course, which then crosses the golfers walk through and ends at the T junction (which is either right and north towards farm/under railway/towards Roman Lakes or left and south towards strines?)

I’ve been onto SMBC about their work in the area before. It’s really disappointing.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

I believe it is the stretch at the bottom of ‘Mellor Berms’ where you appear at the cross roads, turn left and climb before getting to Lilly Bank Farm Track. That was a Dolomite sand pit the other week after the heavy machinery had gone. Pretty poor patches of tarmac in places. I think it was complete.

carlos
    Free Member

Bugger!! Black lane to Windybottom Farm is a decent descent if you don’t hang about or stop.

I’m guessing they’ve Tarmac’d the bit down past The Banks? I hope it’s not the bridleway that divides the Golf Course as that’s just getting good again

BadlyWiredDog

Guessing you could sneak by at night. Or when they’re on a coffee break.

How are we supposed to know when they’re on a coffee break? Did you check with them or is it just a question of lurking in the shrubbery till they start brewing up and then just going for it? Are they using fresh beans and some sort of proper espresso brew method or just instant? I’m guessing, this being Stockport Council, it’ll be the latter so the window of opportunity may be short and liable to slam shut at any moment.

Pook

Worth sharing on keeper of the Peak

wiganer
    Free Member

Bugger, thanks bunnyhop, that’s one of my favourite local rides done for a while then.

Bunnyhop

Lol @ BWD. I should have put a wink , meaning that most workmen do tend to have a never ending coffee break 🙂 (joke)

Yes the tarmac has been laid from the top of ‘The Banks’ descent. This is the descent from Mellor cross (‘T’), down the lane. At the golf course it splits,most of us would take the right hand berms, turning right down the steps (The Banks – also know as zig zags).
    If you were at the top at the golf course and took the left trail (used to be a white barrier with steepish steps), which then turned left, this is the trail that has the long tarmac surface. I know that there was Japanese knotweed there, so the tarmac covering may have something to do with this.

As soon as poss I will go up and see what they’ve done to the Strawberry hill (Shielan) descent.

BadlyWiredDog

If you were at the top at the golf course and took the left trail (used to be a white barrier with steepish steps), which then turned left, this is the trail that has the long tarmac surface.

So now it’s useable as a climb on a cross bike then? Given that I’ve mostly only ever used it as an ascent and it was starting to fall to bits, I’m not utterly dismayed. The ‘repairs’ to the stuff lower down never last anyway ime. It’s a bit like the Hayfield campsite descent, which has become increasingly interesting since the initial Pennine Bridleway sanitisation horror.

nbt

As Bunnyhop says, Lily Bank is the “alternate” banks / berms descent
    The Banks – http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=398038&Y=387405&A=Y&Z=115
    Lily Bank – http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=398066&Y=387330&A=Y&Z=115

it’s now smooth so ideal for a climb if you want to lap The Banks

beagle
    Free Member

Cheers nbt.

Grew up in Marple area and ridden round there for years and never used Lily Bank. Always used the track next to New Mills Golf Club, out of Brookbottom to gain elevation.

As an aside, do we know if anyone is organized with ensuring work is sensible round this area/wider area from the mtb community? I’ve spoken to SMBC a couple of times with varying results. I think it would be prudent to be on the front foot. Whether PDMTB would ever get involved is another question too as it’s probably out of their area to a degree, though we know they have been speaking to NT re Lyme.

Appreciate it’s not at Rushup level, but it is important for local riders.

BadlyWiredDog

it’s now smooth so ideal for a climb if you want to lap The Banks

Dunno about that, but it’ll be a lot more pleasant than the godawful back road climb that comes off Gibb Lane… I know I’m not really meant to approve, but given that I rarely ever ride that track these days – it used to be a reasonable mtb climb, but had got steadily looser and stepped in the wrong places.

Esme
    Free Member

It would be lovely if these trails were identified on Trailforks, as I’m not familiar with the names currently used on there (eg Cable Car? River Run?).

In contast, the The Quantocks section is excellent (maintained by Canopy of this parish, I believe).

seb84

would this effect the rides in the dark peak guide?

nbt

Never heard of that site before. River Run is known to us as Linnets Clough., and Cable Car is known as Surprise Hill.

On the map on trailforks, the trails closed for work are “Roman Lakes Link” (to the junction with “Road Climb”) and “Strawberry Golf Course”.

proutster
    Free Member

“Strawberry Golf Course” wasn’t closed last night 😀

There’s only a little bit of work right at the very bottom, where it joins “Roman Lakes Link”.

Let’s hope that they don’t carry on up the “Strawberry Golf Course” descent…

BadlyWiredDog

The trouble with the Trailforks thing is that even locally there’s not necessarily any universally agreed set of names. Different riding groups tend to develop different labels for the same sections, so something like the track over Middle Moor gets referred to a Middle Moor, Shooting Cabins, 20 Trees (or rather an extension of it) the Snake Path and probably stuff I’ve never heard of too.

Strava has changed that a little with segment names sometimes creeping into more common use – or vice versa I guess – but it’s kind of the nature or the beast. Or should I say, Fluffy Kittens 😕

BadlyWiredDog

Strawberry Golf Course, I always think of as Teenage Girls on Bolting Horses… though I don’t think that name is commonly used…

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Gah the Lilly Bank bit has been tarmacked, really? That’s the best/most technical bit of that descent, always preferred it to the balls out fast bit!

You could see an exposed land drain behind the house on the last drop, suppose that’s why it’s been repaired, tarmac though 😐

How good is the tarmacking and drainage? If it’s a cheapo bodged job it won’t last long anyway 😈

Bunnyhop

The tarmac is an approx 1.5 wide ribbon. Can’t comment on how long it will last. However it’s looking a more robust surface than many from previous years. It is climbable but not by me, as you need to be fit :D.

Regarding the trail names. Many are the correct names from area maps, however as with many trails the locals use artistic licence to find a name. E.g we have ‘surprise hill’, ‘Horsey girls drop’, ‘Zig and Zag’ and ‘Scouts Honour’, all named tongue in cheek with humour, although once you’ve ridden up ‘Surprise Hill’ you’ll no longer be laughing. 😯

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I live in Whaley Bridge but never ridden Marple other than on the canal.

Could someone suggest a route ? i can approach via the canal or over the tops from Birch Vale and up to Mellor.

Many Thanks Phil

scaled
    Free Member

This covers some of it 🙂

https://www.strava.com/activities/1271698520

proutster
    Free Member

Here’s my ride from Wednesday evening, this is our usual Marple route – ignore the drag from home (Cheadle Hulme) to Marple, that’s just masochism 😀

Marple loops

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Cheers thanks prouster, i’ll adapt that and give it a ride.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Cheers mate, was thinking of heading up there Monday.

Bunnyhop

If you shout up, there’s always someone around to guide.

nbt

I am beyond words…

beagle
    Free Member

That the railway embankment on the left of the pic nbt?

nbt

Yes it is. The picture is the bottom of the trail known as “Strawberry”

kcal

WTAF!

beagle
    Free Member

Yep. That’s what I thought. Whilst appalling – let’s hope they don’t start creeping up the hill.

I’m guessing the tarmac is the cheapest option.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘PSA for Marple / Strines area riders: ANOTHER Trail closure warning’ is closed to new replies.