Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PSA for LBS owners/staff, especially in the south
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s a credit card scam going round.
    Someone will call to pay for the bike “for their son” over the phone. Card goes through. Bike is collected by said son.
    But the card is stolen.
    Get round this by only accepting deposits over the phone and insisting the balance is paid ON THE SAME CARD in the store with a PIN number.

Please pass this round to as many shops as possible. It has happened more than once.

granny_ring

Surprised that shops would let you collect on that basis anyway.
    No different to the scams for collection on ebay etc?

njee20
    Free Member

That’s been happening for years, any shop that’s daft enough to accept payment over the phone and not deliver to the registered address deserves to get scammed!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    That’s been happening for years, any shop that’s daft enough to accept payment over the phone and not deliver to the registered address deserves to get scammed!

Amen.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Is this anything like the scam where blokes knock at the door asking to see your bum, when all they want to do is look at your bum?

Rubber_Buccaneer

bigyinn – Member
    all they want to do is look at your bum?

You were hoping they wanted more?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Plus I don’t think anyone ‘deserves’ to be scammed just because they are naive. When I was a lad you could leave your front (or back) doors open and have no bother with intruders etc, etc, etc 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

back doors open and have no bother with intruders etc, etc, etc

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fine. Make of it what you will. I’m trying to help.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’m ashamed to say that I got caught by this scam some years ago when I was new to the business. A pair of lads in their early twenties called to collect the bikes, one about 5’10, very dark hair extensively gelled and styled, the other over 6ft, lanky and ginger. Quite a distinctive pairing.

EDIT: It was another two months before the card processing company clawed back the payment and I realised I’d been scammed.

robdob
    Free Member

Worth mentioning as always, thanks PP.

After 12 years in retail management I think I’ve seen every single scam going, the main thing is to stick by the rules of the CC companies/clearing houses.

I used to work in a big DIY store and we followed every rule to the letter but people are very inventive and new scams start all the time.

One big one is to always make sure you keep your pre-printed till rolls under lock and key, giving them out only when a cashier shows they need a new one. Have a guess why! (pretty simple to work out…)

nixie

Print your own receipt and return goods with it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PSA for LBS owners/staff, especially in the south’ is closed to new replies.