Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • PSA for geometry geeks
  • Cougar

Sat in Kwik-Fit yesterday for an “about an hour” MOT that took two and a half, I had a rummage through a bunch of games I stuck on my tablet a while back, and stumbled over a bit of a gem which I’d like to recommend (if you like that sort of thing).

Euclidia isn’t in fact something you’d catch from a late night tryst but rather a geometry game where you’ve to draw various geometric things using a (virtual) straightedge and pair of compasses. It’s basically Technical Drawing Lite. In its criticism it’s not very heavy on clues / geometry tutorials, but it was a nice gentle no-BS game that passed a little time.

When I ran out of GSCE maths and came unstuck, I looked at “also by the publisher” and they do a similar game based loosely on Pythagoras which I think is actually more accessible.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hil_hk.pythagorea&hl=en_GB
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pythagorea-geometry-on-square-grid/id994864779

There’s also Pythagorea 60° which I’m assuming is a follow-up, I’ve not looked at it yet.

Stoner
    Free Member

Found that last year. V enjoyable.

More recently have found data wing game. Sassy cpu, flying game. Amusing and fun.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I came across these games last week, I think they are exceptionally good. I would say my geometry is pretty good, but the problems make you look at things in new ways. Working my way through Pythagorea at the moment, doing bits from each section, but am stuck on 10.7, 15.12 and 16.10 – hoping that next time I look at it I’ll have a eureka moment 🙂

Cougar

That’s Archimedes, not Pythagoras. (-:

You’re way ahead of me, I think I’m on 3.something for both.

sockpuppet

Well, that’s my spare brain cells accounted for, for the next wee while at least…

rossburton
    Free Member

So I can put geometry on my list of Stuff I’ve Forgotten then…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its a bit muchlike work for me.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Sounds good, downloading now…

stumpy01

Nice one. I’ve seen these on the Play store before, but not bothered downloading.

I’ll give them a whirl.

That Data Wing game that stoner mentions looks good, but I generally don’t install large apps. Might give it a whirl though.

tymbian
    Free Member

Damn you people. Was up until gone 1 on this..bloody addictive.
    1.12 won’t let me move forward.
    4.10 stuck on this for ages. All the others like this I managed to draw a line from the centre of leg/base through the centre and work out from there. 4.10 however doesn’t let me get an exact halfway point in the given line. Any tips for me please?

gauss1777
    Free Member

For 4.10
    All the medians meet at the centroid – so lines from a vertex through the centroid pass through the centre of the opposite side. Also the centroid splits the median in the ratio 1:2

For 1.12 you might use that the diagonals of a rectangle meet at the centre. (You cannot just put your finger in the middle, where you think it should be, you have to construct the point.)

Hope that helps, I think there are probably several ways going about answering each – I’m not sure my methods are always the most elegant 🙂

BFITH
    Free Member

Damn you for this PSA!
    Stuck on 6.4….grrrrrrrrrr

gauss1777
    Free Member

Stuck on 6.4….grrrrrrrrrr

The perpendicular lines?
    Perpendicular lines are such that m * mperp = -1
    So if one line has gradient 2/3 is perpendicular has gradient -3/2. Hope that helps. (Gradient up/along, -ve if going down from left to right )

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

**** you!

I had actual work to do. Installed these half an hour ago and am struggling to do much else.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘PSA for geometry geeks’ is closed to new replies.