Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • FAO: For any Volvo T5 owners (2.4L 2005 onwards)
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If you own a S60 or V70 T5 – 2.4l high pressure turbo from 2005 onwards (257-260bhp).

I highly recommend you go and treat yourself to an ecu tune for it.

A simple ECU tune took my 2006 S60 from 260bhp to 320bhp / 400nM Torque (on a dyno with no other modifications. That’s 300bhp at the wheels.

The fuel economy is broadly the same if I drive it normally. However since the tune it has decreases a little as I have basically been ragging it

It has gone from being reasonably quick to somewhat of a monster.

You owe it to yourself and your engine.

fadda

That’s not very hippy-fied!

(Like, BTW…)

Jamie
    Free Member

I was hoping a Volvo was for sale 🙁

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Why do you think I’m one HAPPY hippy 🙂

Well I do have a 2001 plate V70 T5 that’s not doing anything it needs some work and to get it running again (like a new interior and headliner and the roof a small leak patching, see where this is going…)

Was keeping it to strip the interior and turn in to a track car as the body is too good to scrap as it had 2800 worth of new passenger side thanks to an idiot on a roundabout!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I had the Polestar mapping done on my 2008 V70 2.5T, which took it from 200bhp to 250bph again, with no impact on fuel or emissions as long as I drive it normally.

Unfortunately there is nothing normal about a near two ton car being able to mash to 60 in under 7 seconds so I quite often find myself giving the throttle a good prod, especially when some anker in an Audi or BMW thinks they’ve got the better of me.

Also, unfortunately, as one of my mates pointed out when I asked him what did he think of the idea of getting it done, it may now have 250bhp, but it’s still a Volvo with 250bhp. Straight lines are fine. Everything else is out.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I actually preferred the handling of my V70 to my current S60 I think the V70 chassis must be stiffer.

I do see why everyone is so down on volvo handling, I much prefer it to the light twitchy plastic feel of modern audi’s and the 3 and 5 series I have driven never felt that much better to be honest that I thought the volvo to be inferior though I haven’t driven M series.

What did the Polestar tune set you back by the way? I was trying to look in to it but the guy I spoke to at my local Volvo service was a dick.

The S60 is now pushing 213bhp / ton with a sub 6sec 0-62mph (if the wheels don’t spin all the way to 3rd…)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

VOLVO FOR SALE

geetee1972
    Free Member

Polestar mapping was £400 I think. It also doesn’t invalidate the warranty.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Post the dyno graph up. Before and after,thanks.

DickBarton

300bhp at the wheels? From a 320 bhp rating? That is incredibly efficient if that is the case…

hora
    Free Member

Thats scary. No offence but they arent know for handling!

rickmeister

Drop is more likely to be around 50bhp I reckon…

bigyinn
    Free Member

A mate has a Nissan Skyline GTS (RWD) which has 309bhp at the fly, which is about 256bhp at the wheels.
    So I’d suggest you rethink your ATW figure…

trail_rat
    Free Member

come back when your looking at a new clutch , turbo and drive shafts – wont be long going on my experiance of other vehicles having a “simple ECU remap” a friend had similar done at a skoda dealer on a fabia VRS – within months the above failed and skoda wouldnt warrenty it despite their dealer saying that they would as the approved dealer did it…..

usually other reasons other than economy and tightfistedness for the designers to reign in the power – after all everyone loves power.

johnellison
    Free Member

come back when your looking at a new clutch , turbo and drive shafts – wont be long going on my experiance of other vehicles having a “simple ECU remap” a friend had similar done at a skoda dealer on a fabia VRS – within months the above failed and skoda wouldnt warrenty it despite their dealer saying that they would as the approved dealer did it…..

usually other reasons other than economy and tightfistedness for the designers to reign in the power – after all everyone loves power.

Unlikely. The later (post 2001) R version was rated at 300bhp at the crank straight out of the factory. As they share a drive train (albeit with an uprated gearbox in the R) with the ordinary T5s There’s little likelihood of sub 300bhp having any effect.

If you want to improve the cornering, fit a strut brace at the front and lower 30mm all round. Makes a hell of a difference. My old P1 T5 went round corners like it was on rails. It’s hilarious watching spotty yowths trying to keep up in their souped-up roller skates 😆

Tallpaul

rickmeister – Member
    Drop is more likely to be around 50bhp I reckon…

Why?

There are cars with less than 50bhp at the flywheel. Why would this vehicle have such huge drivetrain losses (unless it’s 4wd)?

Presumably the OP’s dyno measured wheel horse power and the power at the flywheel was extrapolated. By this logic the power output is actually 350bhp.

properbikeco
    Free Member

added drivetrain complexity loads up and generates less efficiency at the wheels

10 to 20% is a fairly typical figure.

that would mean your 50hp 4×4 panda had only 40 or 45hp at the wheels

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘FAO: For any Volvo T5 owners (2.4L 2005 onwards)’ is closed to new replies.