Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PSA – Fire wood from your local authority
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

[/url] DSCF1963 by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr[/img]

For all you fellow woodburnerists, you’re local authority may supply you with firewood at a decent price, mine (South Ayrshire) does!. This little lot was dropped off last thursday, from a Landy with a hydraulic tipper.

Once neatly stacked in the wood shed, took up 2m3. 47 quid. Not bad. Most of it is pretty dry, but I have plenty of wood anyway, so this’ll dry til next year now, maybe even the year after. All hard wood as well.

Give your council a call, you never know.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Ooooh – result!

I’m needing a delivery fairly soon so that’s a good tip. Can never have too much, as McMoonter will testify.

However, if Fife Cooncil handle such things in their characteristic way, it’ll be 4 years late and still unseasoned.

[EDIT] Which dept. did you contact?

ski
    Free Member

That looks like two months burning for me 😉

Still, nice result.

Did they say what type of wood it was?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stuart, I just put a general enquiry into the SAC website, they emailed me back the details.

Ski, I didnt get a chance to speak to them, as I was sleeping off a night shift. I recognise maybe about a quarter of it as being sycamore, the rest is a bit darker, dunno. Wish it was all sycamore.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Orangey stuff looks like pine. Burns hot but doesn’t last long. Much lighter to pick up than hardwoods.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s deffo not pine, I’ve got a fair amount of Pine that I use for kindling.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Fife council are worse than useless. They shred timber brought in by the parks dept. Yesterday’s ride was yielded a stash of wood destined for the shredder. A dawn raid liberated it.

You can never have too much. My new stove arrives tomorrow, I should have it in for Christmas.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff Pete, Quite partial to a dawn raid myself! 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuart, did you give John Low a shout at Dunearn Farm. Tom got a load of logs from him. If he can’t deliver them to you, I could easily transport them for you. It’s all en route.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Will call him tomorrow Mc. Is that the number you posted on FB?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuartie. Yes thats the number. It would be towards the end of the week before I could deliver.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’ll see what he says tomorrow in terms of prices and delivery/pickup. I’m working until Friday lunchtime then it’s the “Balwearie Apocalypse” as forecast by the Mayans 4000 years ago.

No immediate hurry in the run up to Xmas though – could go for a day between Xmas and NY if you’re free. Offer much appreciated!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just give me a shout

jonahtonto
    Free Member

my council are shit at this. they just put you on a list and then turn up once every five years with half a ton of green willow 🙁 turns out all the guys working for the parks department have woodburners

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We liberated another trailer load of logs from the shredder of doom yesterday. I’m glad to see someone else has been at it too. The woodplies I saw there have now all but gone now.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

After a splitathon I’ve replenished the 6 month hole in my woodshed with the stuff from the dawn raids.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Fire wood from your local authority’ is closed to new replies.