Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • PSA: Film 4 – 13 Assassins – now!
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

Yaa! Japanese movie! 13 Assassins! I like!

Plenty of body counts I hope.

:mrgreen:

edit: brutal … samurai … 😯

Oh ya … there should be several hundred body counts once the blood bath starts. I hope it is as good as the original if not better.

stuey
    Free Member

Yep – cool film
    -some vdisturbing scenes.
    Uncut version has a bit more Koyata /Upashi -back story.

(Just seen ‘Gozu’ on afterwards – now that’s a weird out movie)

stuey
    Free Member

This got me wondering…
    “Forest spirit? Maybe. He is definitely not human, since he was able to take care of several trained swordsmen with just rocks and wooden sticks.

But seriously, after a second viewing of the film, I actually saw him as a manifestation of Shinrouko’s doubts and/or his wish to be a man free of responsibility. That responsibility of a samurai. When he’s introduced he talks about how being a samurai doesn’t suit him, and although he joins his uncle for the cause, he does it with a sense of regret. I think Koyata is there to remind him that he needs to cast doubts aside and commit to his samurai way if he wants to succeed. In one scene where they talk in the middle of the night, Shinrouko tells him “You’re not a samurai, get out of here” as if he were telling himself “Im not a samurai like my uncle and the rest, so what the hell am I doing here?”

Notice that Koyata interacts with Shinrouko the most. Shinrouko is the one who cuts him down from the net, he’s the one who complains about Koyata hunting rabbits, etc.

And of course, in the scene I mentioned earlier, when Koyata is thinking about his lover, “Upashi”, that’s actually Shinrouko’s wife, Tsuya. Sure enough, I looked it up and the actress is credited as playing both Tsuya and “Upashi”, making me think it’s the same woman since Koyata and Shinrouko is the same person.

And finally, in the final scene Koyata asks him “what are you going to do now?”, as if it were Shirouko’s conscience asking him “well, what do I do with my life now?” WHen he gives him his answer, Koyata replies “Now you’re talking!”, happy that Shinkouro is finally a free man. And finally, Shinrouko says “Say hi to Upashi for me,” and Koyata just looks at him as if saying “So you know who I really am…” and runs away.

Basically, the conclusion I came to was that since Shinkouro survived the ordeal, so did Koyata ’cause they were one and the same. That would mean Shinkouro was the only sole survivor of the warriors after all.”

chewkw
    Free Member

stuey – Member

This got me wondering…
    “Forest spirit? Maybe. He is definitely not human, since he was able to take care of several trained swordsmen with just rocks and wooden sticks.

I am not sure if he was the forest spirit or goblin but rather an outcast. I try to understand the movie as I see it. If he was a spirit then the movie would have given some indications or hints … usually Japanese movies do.

In the original movie Koyata told Shirouko at the end of the scene he was only injured so pretended to be dead.

edit: just checked some info and yes, he could be a forest spirit or goblin. Yes, he was skilled …

stuey
    Free Member

iirc – in the uncut version Koyata’s ‘appetite /large member’ can’t get satisfied by the villagers daughters + in the dream sequence Upashi is squatting in a river eating her foetus – typical ‘demon’/mountain spirit behaviour.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Film 4 – 13 Assassins – now!’ is closed to new replies.