Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PSA – Essential Android device security apps
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

People may know about both these already, but I only found about the first recently and the second today so:

1. Go to Play Store. Go to settings on top right. Go to device management. From here you can set up remote tracking, lock and wipe of any of your devices. Very useful if lost or stolen.

2. Get Prey. Register your device(s) and set it all up. Lots of very useful post-loss / -theft features, including the option to have an alert sent if a new SIM is put in your device, texting your nominee the new SIM’s number. Swish. Also very useful and well worth an install as it’s free.

Hopefully people will find these of use – I am half hoping I lose my phone now, just so I can call these into action!

Cougar

1. Go to Play Store. Go to settings on top right. Go to device management. From here you can set up remote tracking, lock and wipe of any of your devices. Very useful if lost or stolen.

No “device management” on my HTC One or Nexus 7. Is that a manufacturer-specific feature, perhaps?

2. Get Prey

I saw this when it first came out. Looks like they’ve come a long way since I last looked at it. Cheers for the nudge.

I was using WaveSecure, as I’d got a free lifetime account for being an early beta subscriber. Sadly a combination of being bought by McAfee and me changing phones seems to have knackered that.

theflatboy
    Free Member

1. Should have been clearer – go to Play Store on a browser, rather than the “app” itself on the device. You should find the device management under settings as above.

2. No problem.

bails

I think the OP is talking about the official app “Android Device Manager”.

Cougar

Ah, Google’s “Device Manager” is a separate app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.adm

Probably worth reading the reviews before installing though…

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m not talking about the app – I don’t think there was an associated app, just a couple of confirmation settings from the in-browser options.

Edit – and looking at the reviews of the app, it sounds worth avoiding! The in-browser feature I’m talking about is the one to go for.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Here, in fact.

graemep
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member
    2. Get Prey. Register your device(s) and set it all up. Lots of very useful post-loss / -theft features, including the option to have an alert sent if a new SIM is put in your device, texting your nominee the new SIM’s number. Swish. Also very useful and well worth an install as it’s free.

If bank online with Barclays you can Kaspersky for your mobile free, has similar features – email/text alerts, remote wipe/lock, location, take photo, prevent SIM swap etc.

Cougar

Here, in fact.

ZOMGeleventyone, that’s a bit scary. I guess the app is an extension of the website; I can see why they’re all complaining, I logged straight into the device management website using cached credentials.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Graeme, that sounds ideal as well. I don’t know if Kaspersky does this too, but Prey allows you to remotely activate it and also password lock it for settings and removal, which makes it a pretty robust addition to the device, by the sounds of things.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Why does Prey need read and edit access to your SMS and MMS messages though?

theflatboy
    Free Member

You can activate/deactivate it remotely using a keyword in an SMS, plus it will send an SMS to your nominee if the SIM card is changed or in other defined situations. So presumably for those reasons.

kcr
    Free Member

Prey reads SMS messages to trigger security features remotely.
    I had problems getting the remote controls and reporting working when I tried Prey.

graemep
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member
    Graeme, that sounds ideal as well. I don’t know if Kaspersky does this too, but Prey allows you to remotely activate it and also password lock it for settings and removal, which makes it a pretty robust addition to the device, by the sounds of things.

Yep kaspersky installs itself as a device admin or some such thing and you set a passcode to be able to open/edit or remove the app I believe.

muggomagic

If you are worried about some of these apps then you can do similar things using tasker.

tasker wiki page

retro83
    Free Member

I’m still using the free version of WheresMyDroid. Is that still decent or is Prey/Google Device Manager significantly better?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Essential Android device security apps’ is closed to new replies.