Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • PSA : Don't Look Down … Just starting now on C4
  • hammyuk
    Free Member

He is a total dick – absolutely no idea of his actions or the consequences of them.
    The aftermath of his **** about on the crane in Southampton caused a total shut down of the site.
    Took 4 days before we were back to work.
    Considering most of what we do makes his playing look tame – it won’t be long before someone like us has to either get him or his cadaver down from somewhere……

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, I note that you said “horn” in that sentence….very freudian

I note that you noted, which is quite noteworthy.

*makes a note*

He is a total dick – absolutely no idea of his actions or the consequences of them.
    The aftermath of his **** about on the crane in Southampton caused a total shut down of the site.
    Took 4 days before we were back to work.
    Considering most of what we do makes his playing look tame – it won’t be long before someone like us has to either get him or his cadaver down from somewhere……

…and here is the thing. I remember Hammy’s post on the last thread, and it does bring the idea of how selfish, whether knowing or otherwise, these kind of actions are. Not sure how they could do these type of things, without somehow creating the risk of completely ****ing up someone else’s day.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hammy why did it cause a shutdown for 4 days that is just illogical, from what I saw he was down within minutes and didn’t spend 4 days up there?

I bet this lad takes less risks than some weekend warriors do on their bikes.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hammy why did it cause a shutdown for 4 days that is just illogical, from what I saw he was down within minutes and didn’t spend 4 days up there?

I imagine they had to have a H&S inspection, increase security etc?

johnj2000
    Free Member

health and safety shut down? Dunno just guessing
    Edit: what Jamie said 🙂

binners

When I was 18 I worked on the chemical plants. They were erecting new silos on the site. As I was walking past them I watched one of the steel erectors fall about 150ft, bouncing off the girders on the way down, then land on the concrete 6ft in front of me. On his head. Not something you forget in a hurry. I had to bin my jacket that I ‘d wrapped round him while I waited for the ambulance as it was completely saturated in blood.

If it all goes tits up, then it can’t be much fun those left literally picking up the pieces

Christ! I don’t even know why i’m watching this.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Jeez don’t like that at all. Imagine how you would feel if something happened to your hand physically and you lost grip, down he went. Would you ever sleep again?

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ahhhhhh a few months in a Ukrainian prison might sort him out

lunge

My wife’s reaction (a psychology MSc) was “someone didn’t get much attention as a child did they?”. Impressive stuff though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok so if you wear climbing shoes, and do it in the wilderness its ok to climb up stuff that could kill you, but because its urban and he’s wearing a pair of jeans its not right?

People die all the time free climbing, just not in an urban environment wearing jeans…

Cougar

what is normal?

Numbers.

Is it time to repost this?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI[/video]

CountZero

My wife’s reaction (a psychology MSc) was “someone didn’t get much attention as a child did they?

He hasn’t seen his dad since he was very young. I don’t need an MSc to be able to work that one out, it was pretty obvious from early on.

sadexpunk

was a bit undecided as to whether hes a bit of a c*ck or not til the end, when he was showing it all to his mam. if he had any consideration for her hed keep the images from her i thought.

so…..yes, attention seeker

Spin
    Free Member

Ok so if you wear climbing shoes, and do it in the wilderness its ok to climb up stuff that could kill you, but because its urban and he’s wearing a pair of jeans its not right?

What he’s doing is utterly trivial compared to free soloing of the kind that Alex Honnold, Alex Huber and Peter Croft (etc) have done.

That said he’s still excercising an element of mental control (or abandon, not sure which, but it’s important) which is impressive to most folks.

cinnamon_girl

Blimey. 😯

Not everyone can be pigeon-holed but I suspect that his wiring is a wee bit askew.

His poor Mum, so tough for her.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Worse programme I’ve seen in while, no real climbing content. It was just head games. Gave up watching

weare138
    Free Member

A least he took his shoes off when he arrived home.

mikey74
    Free Member

was a bit undecided as to whether hes a bit of a c*ck or not til the end, when he was showing it all to his mam. if he had any consideration for her hed keep the images from her i thought.

But then again, nothing is worse than the imagination. I would have thought showing her how good he is would actually ease her mind a little.

I do agree that he came across a little attention seeking.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

My wife’s reaction (a psychology MSc) was “someone didn’t get much attention as a child did they?

what a predictable boring lazy response

acer2012
    Free Member

While it might be impressive I reckon he needs to live in the real world and realise he’s being a selfish spoilt sod. I’m guessing he’s still sponging off his Mum at 23?

mikey74
    Free Member

no real climbing content.

That’s because he’s not a real climber, he’s into parkour, albeit an extreme branch of it.

brooess
    Free Member

someone didn’t get much attention as a child did they?

– his father abandoned him when he was 2.

Feel sorry for him and his Mum tbh – he clearly has serious self-esteem issues but he’s not really found the healthiest way to to deal with them…

What he’s doing isn’t really that cool IMO – at least with wingsuit flying they’re pushing the boundaries of what humans can do.

For most of those kind of sports, the risks are well understood and there’s a culture of managing the risks with lots of specific kit and procedures to support this… whereas what he’s doing is just plain risky and not exactly that progressive.

cinnamon_girl

He’s in total control of his head. Seemed a nice guy and I don’t get the nasty comments that have been made.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member

no real climbing content.That’s because he’s not a real climber, he’s into parkour, albeit an extreme branch of it.

so why advertise it as “urban free climber”

There’s some excellent films of urban free climbing, which show the true test of combining difficulty with exposure.

Might as well been a film on playing chicken

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

For most of those kind of sports, the risks are well understood and there’s a culture of managing the risks with lots of specific kit and procedures to support this… whereas what he’s doing is just plain risky and not exactly that progressive.

Sorry I disagree people do extreme sports for the very reason that they know it may kill them, thats the buzz.

Spin
    Free Member

Sorry I disagree people do extreme sports for the very reason that they know it may kill them, thats the buzz.

Simplistic explanation.

Is that why you mountain bike?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is that why you mountain bike?

No because mountain biking isnt an extreme/dangerous sport.

iain1775
    Free Member

Natural Free climbing is generally done in places where there isn’t a large involuntary audience when something goes wrong, or where people turning up to work the next morning have to deal with the consequences
    As someone who worked on TV masts, and has (in days before compulsory permanent attachment) climbed around on steel 1000 foot up with nothing much securing me (fell asleep 500′ up once 🙂 ) and as someone who lost my brother in law last year due to a fall from height I just find this stuff totally irresponsible
    Fine for him though, he won’t be around to see people pick up the pieces

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Awesome that.
    I’m lucky enough to climb towers for a living.
    Love it.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

MTBing is adangerous sport, just check the MRT STATS

mikey74
    Free Member

No because mountain biking isnt an extreme/dangerous sport.

Yes, yes it is. Maybe not the way you do it, but for many many people it is exactly that.

user-removed
    Free Member

Watching now on +1. I like this stuff as it’s the complete antithesis to the health and safety, risk assessed world we live in. I used to have to work up small pylons and the level of scrutiny involved as soon as you leave the ground is utterly ridiculous. I *get* why it’s necessary but the kid in you just wants to get to the top asap, and yes, perhaps hang from one hand when you get there 😀

derek_starship
    Free Member

I wish I was in control of my head like he is. But if it came with the caveat of hanging off 120m cranes then maybe I’ll stick with my anxious ways.

I think I can foretell tonight’s dream/nightmare….

spacemonkey

He’s a selfish pr1ck who needs to grow up.

user-removed
    Free Member

Like CG, I am struggling to understand the hate – is it jealousy perhaps? The only humans who might actually be seriously affected are his mum, the guy who has to scrape him up and, erm, that’s it. I have little sympathy for developers whose projects are slightly delayed. Hardly a big deal for multinationals really is it?

MrOvershoot

binners – Member

When I was 18 I worked on the chemical plants. They were erecting new silos on the site. As I was walking past them I watched one of the steel erectors fall about 150ft, bouncing off the girders on the way down, then land on the concrete 6ft in front of me. On his head. Not something you forget in a hurry. I had to bin my jacket that I ‘d wrapped round him while I waited for the ambulance as it was completely saturated in blood.

If it all goes tits up, then it can’t be much fun those left literally picking up the pieces

Like you I was in the middle of a silo fall, only the poor sod fell in the bin and lived. I say lived he died 4 years later a utterly broken man.
    We dropped the bin activator out of the way for the paramedics and I can honestly say I didn’t think a human had that much blood in them 🙁

SiB
    Free Member

I reckon his wiring wasn’t quite right but seemed like a nice lad imo, not sure why all this hatred is directed to him? Selfish? Not at all, he’ s not harming anybody or screwing peoples lives up. In complete control of his mind and body, I take my hat off to him and would like to buy him a pint! He’s harming nobody, worrying his mum a lot though, probably more than most kids worry their parents. He appeared to get just as much a buzz evading the security?

If he was to be televised whilst attempting to break some sort off world record (with no h&s) that was along the lines of what he is an expert in and succeeded would there be as much uproar/hatred?

Me? I like to keep both wheels on the ground so it’s not a ‘sport’ for me, fantastic tv though, gave me strange sensations down below.

When I was about 15 I climbed to top of a new pylon that wasn’t wired up and hung from my legs up there, can still remember the adrenalin hit, get a bit scared at top of step ladder these days though.

SiB
    Free Member

It will be a Red Bull sport soon

bencooper
    Free Member

Like CG, I am struggling to understand the hate – is it jealousy perhaps? The only humans who might actually be seriously affected are his mum, the guy who has to scrape him up and, erm, that’s it. I have little sympathy for developers whose projects are slightly delayed. Hardly a big deal for multinationals really is it?

But he’s breaking the rules!

I think that’s what it is, really – people don’t like other people doing stuff that’s different. Especially when it’s something that’s a little bit illegal. Risk is everywhere – driving a car on the motorway, I’m one hand twitch away from slamming into an overpass – but people think climbing cranes is the riskiest thing I do.

One thing I have noticed, though – and this is entirely in my head – is I now take far fewer risks since I had a child.

CountZero

spacemonkey – Member
    He’s a selfish pr1ck who needs to grow up.

I’d say he’s at least as grown up as some venting on here. Selfish? Oh, quite probably, but then, who isn’t, some of the time?
    Anyone taking part in any sport where there’s a real risk of severe injury or death is surely just as selfish, be it mountaineering, potholing, paragliding, extreme snowboarding…
    All can, and do, result in people ending up dead, with others picking up the pieces.
    How about you have a vent at everyone of those selfish pricks who need to grow up, because I don’t see any fundamental difference between a freeclimber clinging by their fingertips to an overhang on some rock face 2-300 meters up, like these guys, and what those lads in the programme are doing, except they get flamed on here, and the people in these photos are lauded for their bravery and skill.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘PSA : Don't Look Down … Just starting now on C4’ is closed to new replies.