Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • PSA: Dan Snow, Grand Canyon tonight.
  • matt_outandabout

If you want some proper adventure, not that with a hairy yorkshireman with a penchant for tea and graft, get this programme on tonight.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m5p7b

Spin
    Free Member

If it’s anything like his other ‘Historical’ efforts it will be dumbed down to nursery level.

nickewen
    Free Member

Yep. Will be watching this. I thought the 1st one was very good.

Was amazing to watch that Tom O’Hara tillerman fella navigate thru some of the rapids in Ep 1.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Yes but the views, colours and the grandeur of the Grand Canyon are fantastic and the programme manages to capture this. I was lucky enough to do the trip ten years ago, a never to be forgotten experience.

Drac

Cool I’ll stick that on record.

HindlePie
    Free Member

Aye, we paddled the canyon last July and the scale of the place can only be understood fully from within. Took a scary swim at Lava too 😯

Cracking show.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Not the best of places to take a swim!!

matt_outandabout

Love some of the slow-mo shots.

mooseface
    Free Member

Hindle Pie, did you do this with a company? anyone you can reccomend?

Thanks

HindlePie
    Free Member

Moose – a friend of ours won one of the (self-guided) lottery permits in Feb 2012 for a party of 8. So we cobbled together a group of 4 UK and 4 US paddlers. Did some paddle raft training with a UK Raft team member on the river Teifi in June 2013, then away we went. All seems a bit gung-ho thinking back but then we knew it would be an adventure of a life-time. Everyone got on great despite having never met the US contingent and the trip was a huge success. If you decide to do it like this, you will need to start applying for a permit now and at least one team member will also need to have experience of the Grand Canyon. Admittedly there’s a lot more planning involved if you decide to do it yourself, else begin looking at guiding companies in and around the Flagstaff area and checking out US paddling forums.

We used these guys as our outfitters. They were fantastic – managed to eat fresh meat on Day 12 and still had ice for G & T’s on day 16 😀

Let me know if you want anymore info.

MadPierre

not that with a hairy yorkshireman with a penchant for tea and graft,

Guy Martin is from Lincolnshire

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Dan Snow, Grand Canyon tonight.’ is closed to new replies.