Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • PSA: Crossness Stewage Pumping Station Open Day Sunday 3 October 2010
  • Karinofnine

From the website:
    Latest News:
    We have arranged an Open day for Sunday 3rd October 2010 as part of the London Mayor’s event “The Story of London”.
    We will be open from 10.30am to 4.00pm when the restored Beam Engine, “Prince Consort”, will be in steam at regular intervals throughout the day. There is ample parking on site and light refreshments will be available.
    We will also be running a mini-bus service to and from Abbey Wood BR station every half hour commencing 10.15 am from the station.
    Please telephone us if you require further information on 020 8311 3711 on either a Tuesday or Sunday between 10.00am and 4.00pm

A chance to see some fine wrought ironwork, and a working steam-driven pump!

organic355
    Free Member

😯

Andituk
    Free Member

Funnily enough, was watching Industrial Revelations on Discoverysomethingorother last night that showed Crossness. Stunning building, would love to see it in the flesh.

z1ppy

Andituk, is that with the comedian bloke travel around on the canal boat? (indeed it is Mr. Mark Williams)
    Seen some of these programs & the steam pumps are bloody impressive.

brassneck

Any website? Would like to come along one day (the boys just LOVE Crofton on the K&A) but not a good weekend this one.

snaps
    Free Member

Here but better pictures Here
    I had a tour years ago while working in Thamesmead – very impressive.

speaker2animals

I’ve been to the current Crossness works, when I was in the industry. Really wanted to be able to nip in to the “proper” one. Shame I’m nowhere near London, I’d love to visit.

spooky_b329

I went to a sewage treatment works open day as a teenager. My main memory of the day was watching a trio of brothers ignore the barriers and signs, the first pressed a button on a control panel that was something to do with transferring waste water from tank to tank, then when it lit up and cancelled the button above and a faint hum was heard, switched it back to how it was and walked off. Next youngest brother did the same and then hurriedly followed, youngest brother desperately ran up to copy, pressed the button and then realised he was being left behind and couldn’t be bothered to wait for the lights to change so he could switch it back, and ran off leaving the pump running and some random tank emptying itself to god knows where!

I saw the Industrial Revelations mentioned and the pumping station is very impressive 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Crossness Stewage Pumping Station Open Day Sunday 3 October 2010’ is closed to new replies.