Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 445 total)
  • PSA: Classics season starts this weekend
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, I’d put him behind Stannard and Thomas, and even they are an outside bet.

Can’t see him winning if a small group makes it to the velodrome, just hasn’t got the sprint. Can’t really see him going long either, he’s got a great TT but I don’t think he’s got the raw power to crack a small bunch and get away like Cancellara could. Can’t see him having the kick to do a Terpstra either. I reckon he lacks the tactical classics know how too.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

And that’s if its dry…..

mrblobby
    Free Member

And they’re off at E3 Harelbeke (live coverage here).

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Busy afternoon planned then blobby? 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Unfortunately yes! Good job it’s not live on the telly.

Some of the favourites down in a crash, sounds like it could be a bad one.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Arhh Cancellara’s out with a sore wrist after the crash.

It can’t all be falling into Brads lap can it?…..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Two fractured vertebrae for Cancellara, end of his spring campaign 🙁

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Getting juicy at the E3 today.

Some possible British/ Welsh interest.

rusty90
    Free Member

My money would be on Sagan, rather than GT, but you never know

rusty90
    Free Member

Wow, I was wrong!

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Indeed……

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great result that 🙂

Shame about Cancellara though, Flanders and Roubaix won’t be the same without him.

christhetall
    Free Member

My money would be on Sagan, rather than GT, but you never know

Sagan was in the 3 man break, but then didn’t even make the top 10. Did he just sit up, or take a side road near the finish to avoid the welcome committee ?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Wow, that was bloody great. So so glad I skipped the Internet and watched the reply race on Eurosport.

No wonder they pulled Brad if Thomas is on this form, also great to see Stannard in trouble but pull it back again.

crazy-legs

No wonder they pulled Brad if Thomas is on this form, also great to see Stannard in trouble but pull it back again.

G and Ian together are probably the best Classics double act going at the moment although if Etixx – QS were up to scratch and hadn’t lost Boonen so early in the season it’d be a harder call.

Wiggins is just filling the role of media luvvie now; everything he does is reported with breathless “wow” by the media who seem to expect him to win just by having his name on the start sheet.
    Pulled out of Paris Nice, DNS (or “replaced” for E3H)… Can’t help but think that Sky are just digging themselves a massive hole banging on about Brad winning PR cos I’ll bet good money that he won’t. If he does then I’ll be the first to post up here apologising for doubting him but I can’t see it happening…

G is a far tougher and classier rider, he really deserved that win after a bit of so-near-but-so-far at MSR.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well bloody Ace that.

Good Lad 😀

bspoked
    Free Member

Thomas knew that it was Stybar he had to drop. Going from first wheel so that Sagan would see it and try to cover, when Thomas knew he couldn’t. Meant that Stybar tucked in rather than followed, hoping for Sagan’s tow across. Which never came. And by then it was all over. Lovely by Thomas.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did indeed read it perfectly, Sagan looked buggered.

Curious reluctance to chase by Katusha, Giant and the two Lotto teams. Probably happy to let them dangle out there and have BMC control it till the last few km. May have been different had Van Avermat not had his OTB.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Just watched the final 10km again, damn that was just text book by G.

Etixx QS are getting their races taken away from them.

Awsome that the entire BMC squad couldn’t catch those 3 in the breakaway. Flanders is gonna rock next week.
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6g-oQROalmo[/video]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well it was only three BMC riders working. The one time Van Avermat came to the front on that climb they pulled back a good few seconds.

Difficult to know what Sagan has to do to win a classic these days. He’d likely have been better off not working with the break and taking his chances in the sprint, but then you had Degenklob, Kristoff and Trentin back there. Seems like he can’t resist shows of strength that burn too many matches.

jonba
    Free Member

Just watched the final 10km again, damn that was just text book by G.

Indeed, he got his attack just right. I think he knew he wasn’t going to win a short sprint but has previous in short TT efforts so opened a gap and went for it.

Classy rider, still think he has GC potential and would love to see hime ride a grand tour as the team leader.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yeah kinda, but what’s wrong with one day races?

Not aimed at you, but the general consensus is that GC I better and I disagree with that.

GC is formulaic and to a greater extent predictable, one day races, especially the northern classics are just the opposite.

Edit, unless you’re referring to the Three days of de Panne, in which case, yeah cool

scaredypants

I agree, classics are probably the better measure of a rider for me – GCs are really climbing & TT with a load of fluff in-between

Good viewing, mind, and I do enjoy a climb-off between all those little skinny fellas

(Oh, and quality from Thomas, though there’s no way he’ll get away with the same trick in another big race this spring. They’ll mark him very hard next time a break goes)

riddoch

they can mark him but can they go with him? Thinking Cancellara from a couple of season’s ago.
    I’m hoping robioux is comenwealth games level of wetness, c’Mon G.

butcher

It’s not as if Thomas has pulled this out from nowhere though. He’s been pretty consistent so far this year. Very happy for him, but it’s well deserved, and not a surprise at all.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Swiftly in the Cappo, Thomas in E3 and Richie in Catalunya…

Sky’s having a crackin Spring so far..

😀

manton69

Don’t forget Stannard in the Omloop against three Etixx boys. 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

As a spectator I like the classics but I often feel that sometimes they are lost not won, through bad luck as they are so unpredictable. They also don’t get the recognition outside of cycling. Despite his talent and medal haul he isn’t that well know outside of cycling fans.

Also I think he’d make an interesting GC rider. He’d have to pick up time away from the high mountains as he is not going to be able to match Quintana et al.

In some respects I’d like to see him more away from sky (like Eddie B-H who has gone AWOL since 2013) and go for more stage wins and move outside a Domestique role if he isn’t going for overall GC.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Also, I quoted yesterday that G-W isn’t on Eurosport, I AM WRONG.. 😆

When I looked the other day for sure it wasn’t, then I’ve just looked again (to record ToC tomorrow) and it’s there, right there on Eurosport 2 starting at 1330..

So thats tomorrow at 1330, just in case you missed it in the sentence above 😆

Bliss !!!!!!!!

8)

Nipper99
    Free Member

Yay for Geraint Thomas.

mrblobby
    Free Member

G-W could be carnage if the weather is anything like it’s forecast to be here.

ToC , since you mentioned it, been good racing this year. Should be a good final stage round Barcelona today too

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeed if Richie can stay upright in the “crit” then he’ll take it. Bertie fell off yesterday so maybe not so strong today, who knows.
    Only sticky is Valverde, if he can motivate the troops he can make a break for it, I reckon he’ll try.

As for G-W I’m holding out on wet and blustery conditions, I think Sky will bury themselves today. I some respects I’d have hoped they would have put Kiri in the squad because if anyone can set a hard pace in shite conditions it’s the astonishing Belarusian.. We’ll see. Geraint in the top 10, not a win though.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Wasn’t GT racing yesterday in the E3 Harelbeke which he won?

Haze

E3 was Friday

Nipper99
    Free Member

Ah – damn those Eurosport repeats 😀

Haze

Sky Go app has helped with the congestion, I’m not sure I’d be keeping up without it!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Eek, completely reevaluated my definition of “a little bit windy for a ride” 😯

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

True hard mans race today!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Another great result!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Utterly savage.

That was one of the hardest races I’ve seen in a very long time.

I reckon they’re all winners..

But bloody hell, Thomas is a proper a Hero.

Utterly savage 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 445 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Classics season starts this weekend’ is closed to new replies.