Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • PSA Chris Froome: Sports Life Stories ITV4 10:00pm
  • sands
    Free Member

Today (Tue 24 Feb) on ITV4 from 10:00pm to 11:00pm

“The sports documentary series continues as Kenyan-born cyclist Chris Froome recounts the remarkable story of how he became only the second British winner of the Tour De France.”

Rockape63
    Free Member

Don’t know what it is about Froomey that turns me off, but it does……so for that reason, I’m out!

MoreCashThanDash

I’ll watch it out of curiosity rather than genuine interest.

That, and the fact that us Kenyan born cyclists need to stick together.

Kryton57

Regardless of this, the Froome/Bertie on-the-bike rivalry has already kicked of with 1-0 Froome and looks as though it could be a real sporting highlight this year.

rascal
    Free Member

Might give this a go – not really a fan but will give him a chance 😉
    25 minutes…

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Don’t know what it is about Froomey that turns me off, but it does……so for that reason, I’m out!

I kinda like Froome. He isn’t one to shy away from a fight when the racing gets to the big mountain climbs. Gotta like a fighter.

Plus he makes me look graceful on a bike!

butcher

I kinda like Froome.

Me too. I don’t really see why people dislike him to be honest. Might not be a gifted entertainer, but he rides **** hard on the bike. I even like that ungainly style of his. Sometimes when watching guys like Contador, or Quintana, it’s like watching someone on a club run. Watch Froome attack and you know he’s turning himself inside out, he doesn’t hide it. Big respect for the guy.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

It’s painting a nice pic so far, the Vuelta story was one I’d forgotten following Wiggo 2012 etc, nice to see that move on Cobo again to win the stage.

MoreCashThanDash

Anyone know if this being repeated, forgot to record it 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

Watch Froome attack and you know he’s turning himself inside out, he doesn’t hide it. Big respect for the guy.

See him stick it to Bertie on Stage 4 of the Ruta del Sol from last week, a proper effort that and a brilliant ride.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S-vH3H9dic[/video]

nemesis
    Free Member

Morecash – it’s on the ITV player, isn’t it?

MrNice
    Free Member

maybe on itv player? far, far too slow

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Was a good watch that. I still struggle with how ugly he looks on the bike but I’m becoming a fan, mainly after seeing him fight in the Vuelta last year. Tour of Andalucia was brilliant racing seeing as it’s Feb, 2015 looks like it’ll be bloody good if Contador and Froome stay upright. Lulz at him hitting that dude at the TT 😛

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thought that was pretty good. Worth watching for all those who claim he’s not British. Colonial ex-pat style upbringing probably more traditionally British than most in Britain!

Brailsford a bit of an puzzle for me. Clearly a master at what he does based on results but never comes across as perticularly insightful or charismatic.

Painey
    Free Member

Don’t quite see why the “Kenyan born…” part gets mentioned so often to be honest. You don’t get “Belgian born Bradley Wiggins…” etc etc.

Recorded this the other night so looking forward to it. I like the guy for reasons already mentioned, and that as well as not exactly hiding the effort he’s having to put in, he doesn’t do a Contador and sit on people’s back wheels waiting to attack.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Or Maltese born David Millar, or Isle of Man born Mark Cavendish, etc. You could be forgiven for thinking his name is “Kenyan born Chris Froome”!

Kryton57

but I’m becoming a fan

Me too. I quite like the way the the effort he makes to win is obvious on his sometimes bloodless, sometimes expressive-with-pain-and-effort face. Together with this off the bike naivety it makes him seem more normal somehow.

Macavity
    Free Member

“Don’t quite see why the “Kenyan born…” part gets mentioned so often to be honest. You don’t get “Belgian born Bradley Wiggins…” etc etc.”

Have a read of his book, if you are interested.

Book Review: The Climb

nemesis
    Free Member

Belgium didn’t really shape Wiggins

Kenya definitely shaped Froome though equally so did his British heritage.

People born in the Isle of Man are stated to be British citizens and I reckon most would agree that while the IoM definitely has its own distinct character, it very much fits in with the UK.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’m in the middle of reading David Walsh’s book on Team Sky. There’s a lot about Froome in it and he definitely considers Africa to be his home.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Didn’t know Cav was from the Manx Isle..

nemesis
    Free Member

franki
    Free Member

I didn’t see the programme, but I’m certainly warming to Froome.
    I thought he was a bit aloof to begin with, but now I think he’s just not so comfortable in the spotlight.
    I enjoy his attacking riding on the climbs. Not taking anything away from Wiggo, but he could just about hang with the very best climbers (no mean feat,) while having his TT prowess as a safety measure, whereas Froome can take them on and it gives you something to get excited about in the big mountains. You’ve got to do what it takes to win and for some that may be to ride defensively, but it’s great to see some real aggression.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I think Froome is cool too!

If the bit about Wiggins withholding his bonus is true then I like him more than Wiggins.

I’m sure Bradley is having sleepless nights in his mansion thinking about the last bit.

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/10855850/Chris-Froomes-revelations-could-damage-Sir-Bradley-Wigginss-Tour-de-France-ambitions.html

“Froome recalls that he was not invited to the “Yellow Ball” that Wiggins held later that year to celebrate his Tour win, nor did Wiggins give him the bonus payment which is traditionally handed out to all the riders who had ridden for him as a token of appreciation.
    The 29-year-old, who went on to dominate the 2013 Tour with Wiggins absent injured, is equally scathing of Team Sky’s management that year, describing how he felt Sir Dave Brailsford reneged on an agreement to let him race to win.”

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive never particularly took to him but after watching I’ll certainly look at him in a different light. Just hope it was a tropical infection and not some excuse for increased red blood cells that he now has. I hope hes clean and after what it took to get where he is id like to think he is

kennyp
    Free Member

I like Froome. Mainly for the way he handles himself when he loses. No whinges, rants or sulks. He takes it on the chin and gets on with things.

IdleJon

“Don’t quite see why the “Kenyan born…” part gets mentioned so often to be honest. You don’t get “Belgian born Bradley Wiggins…” etc etc.”

Has he ever lived in the UK? (Genuine question btw as I don’t know.)

mrblobby
    Free Member

enuine question btw as I don’t know.)

I don’t think he has but I don’t know for sure. Not that it’s required to be considered British. Parents moved out there from Surrey before he was born. Brought up British in a British household. Went to an English boarding school etc. Said that if he wasn’t British then he doesn’t know what else he would be. I’m sure I’d feel the same way in the same circumstances.

speckledbob
    Free Member

He seems to be using his head more. He was impressive in andulucia early this month. I’m supporting him in this years tdf especially with Nibali being a bit doubtful.

Macavity
    Free Member
    nemesis
    Free Member

It’s worth reading his book – like many people it gives you a bit more perspective than the ‘kenyan born’ etc soundbites give you – he certainly had a very different upbringing and as they said in the documentary, he didn’t get to where he is without a lot of effort and determination.

Macavity
    Free Member

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘PSA Chris Froome: Sports Life Stories ITV4 10:00pm’ is closed to new replies.