Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • PSA-cheap Sony Action cams at Argos
  • kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Just a heads up for anyone after an actioncam. Argos have reduced the price of the Sony Action Cam to £129.99. They state its the AS15 but you actually receive the better AS30 which has GPS etc. Probably best to ask to look before you buy if in-store as you can’t take it back, or you can order for delivery and be covered by distance selling regs. It seems to be a national thing.
    Link here
    click me

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

as used by Casey Brown *swoons slightly*

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXZugEbDzes[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gaz552
    Free Member

One thing I do notice about the Sony Action Cam footage is the large amount of barrel distortion at the edges, but the actual quality/video detail looks to be very good.

RustyMac

Is there an easy way to tell between the two models?

DrP

8% cash back with a Halifax card too..

DrP

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

How do you mean tell the difference?

RustyMac

How do you know if you get an AS15 or an AS30?

poah
    Free Member

probably tells you on the box

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Ah right,with you! Yes it says on the box. You want the AS30. I just asked to view the item before I paid to check it was the AS30.

poah
    Free Member

how did you find out that it was the AS30, you sure they didn’t just give you the wrong one

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Its been all over hotukdeals for months, and I kept almost buying but didn’t. Now the price is £129 I couldn’t resist. Link to the hotukdeals thread here

m0rk
    Free Member

£99 now…..

timmys

Vagely interested in this – what’s the availability of mounts like? That seem to be the big selling point of GoPro’s over anything else.

It doesn’t mention anything being included as far as i can see.

m0rk
    Free Member

It comes with a sticky mount apparently… PLenty of options on eBay.

I’m off to Argos to collect mine on the way home

RustyMac

An older thread on here had some good info on mounts etc and how GoPro ones could be used for the Sony cam. See below

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/calling-all-sony-hdr-as15-owners-mods-upgrades-bodges

theraggyone
    Free Member

Love my sony as10 but the standard mounts are rubbish .I managed to combine these two items to create a proper go pro side mount for it and now it fits all go pro mounts:)

Veho VCC-A013-UTM – MUVI TM Universal Tripod Mount

GoPro HERO3 Side Mount

timmys

So it’s a standard tripod mount on the case?

So all you need is one of these;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271429687091?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To access all the GoPro mount goodness?

theraggyone
    Free Member

Yes standard camera tripod mount:) that will be just the job

m0rk
    Free Member

To confirm. Just picked up the as30 model for £99. 1/2 price 32gb card tok

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

At that price its an absolute steal! Really pleased with the results from mine. I found the cheapest place for the genuine sony chest mount was Cotswold Outdoors.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

picking mine up this afternoon…

chrisdw
    Free Member

Memory card included?

RustyMac

no memory card included in the one i bought last week. Just a battery and a flat and slightly curved stiky mount.

kimbers

what level of gopro are these equivalent too? cheers

RustyMac

This is the model you get, don’t know the equivalent GoPro.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/actioncam/hdr-as30v

jackal
    Free Member

Is the sony chest mount any good? Looks ok in the link above…..

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Sony Chest Mount is good. Probably no better than a generic £10 jobby off eBay, but I thought I’d go for the genuine version and no complaints from me. From what I’ve read it was targeted at the GoPro Hero Black

aracer
    Free Member

So how does this compare to something like the SJ4000 http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/3/the-sj4000-action-camera-review.html, which is still significantly cheaper? Worth spending the extra?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Cheers for this. Just picked one up.

I’m impressed for £99. QR code to install the app on the phone, then live view straight away.

Still not sure what I am going to do with it. The internet is already full of shaky footage of middle aged men cycling really slowly down hill.

scotroutes

Also thanks. I ordered one yesterday so will likely get it on Tuesday. I have a couple of wee projects I’d like to do with it…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

POV into a gorse surrounded ditch?

akak
    Free Member

Thanks OP got one today, didn’t even pay as apparently I was due a fathers day present. Any more mounting or starter project tips welcome. My Bell super helmet has a gopro mount but I’m not sure how well it would work with this.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Apparently super heavy duty velcro is the weapon of choice for the helmet. Not tried it yet myself though, as prefer the chest mount angle. I bought a cheap handlebar/seatpost/frame mount off ebay for about £5 which seems decent enough. Opens wide enpigh to offer a choice of positioning.

theraggyone
    Free Member

I used super heavy duty velcro for a few months , the go pro mount solution seen in my pic above is so much better (less helmet in video etc) and much more secure and adjustable I wouldnt go back to velcro….

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I’ll get shopping then! Is it on Amazon?

theraggyone
    Free Member

I got the tripod to go pro mount piece from amazon ( I cannablised a muvi camera mount thats similar to go pro fitment) but now there seems to be even better options available cheap from ebay. Once you have that piece you can buy any go pro mount kits and it will fit:)

grim168
    Free Member

Picked one up today at argos in Preston. Asked at customer services to see it first. All good. Can’t wait to get a dog mount and set scooby loose in the woods.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just ordered one too. Do they come with a protective housing like a go pro or are they already ruggedised?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Separate case which isn’t as waterproof as the case on the older ’15, or a GoPro (as in not suitable for SCUBA depths, should be fine for bikes).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘PSA-cheap Sony Action cams at Argos’ is closed to new replies.